Office Depot Tests PayPal's New Point-of-Sale System

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Right on the heels of Home Depot, Office Depot is next in line to test out the PoS system from PayPal. Home Depot began testing the system earlier this year. Paypal expects to expand the service to 20 major retailers across the US by the end of the year.

PayPal's "wallet in the cloud" initiative lets shoppers who have a PayPal account pay by simply typing their mobile numbers and PINs at checkout counters. They can also pay by swiping a PayPal card and entering a PIN.

i know it's their business, but using paypal won't lower their profit or does paypal gives special discount to those companies that's cheaper than what credit card companies gives them??

so how long will paypal be able to keep claiming they are not a financial institution and therefore exempt from all those laws?

...yeah, was just going to say. When are they going to get regulated as a bank?

I hope soon. PayPal's scope of services they are trying to offer is getting pretty rediculous at this point. I've heard a few interviews with PayPal on various RadioTalk shows and what-not where they, google and a few other companies feel that using cash//a wallet will go the way of the dinosaur for 99.5% of all transactions within 10 years.

I rarely use cash anymore and try to use debit for pretty much everything. The occasional times I'll use cash is when paying club-fees at my university. I think that's the last time I did so or when I was anonminity (spelling?) about what I am purchasing from loved ones during x-mas shopping, etc.

This same, 'you can't prove what I took the money out for', justification also helps protect criminals, cheating spouses, people hiding drug addictions and can lead to bad spending habits. So getting rid of Cash and moving over to an e-wallet system seems to have some societal benefits though at the cost of some freedom.

So instead of sliding my card, I will have to type my information in. Yeah that sounds grand.

So getting rid of Cash and moving over to an e-wallet system seems to have some societal benefits though at the cost of some freedom.
Yeah, because, like, freedom is like, overrated! Wouldn't it be easier to just burn a barcode into everyone's arm? No reason you couldn't link that to a person's bank account, credit info, work history, legal history etc....;)

I'd prefer to stick with the whole freedom thing. The problem with "keeping people honest" is the people doing the checking will abuse their power.

Yeah, because, like, freedom is like, overrated! Wouldn't it be easier to just burn a barcode into everyone's arm? No reason you couldn't link that to a person's bank account, credit info, work history, legal history etc....;)

I'm down!

Back