Record Player Translates Tree Rings into Music

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are into techno music….really into it, like strange uses for technology and want to hear what a tree sounds like, you are the right person for this new music style. The project is known simply as Years and uses light waves to read the tree rings and transform them into sound waves. It’s eerie sounding and hard to dance to….maybe the inventor should switch over to a sugar maple or fruit trees to liven up the tempo. :D

That's a really neat concept. I would be interested to see what something like a knotty pine would produce. It seemed like the knots in the wood produced the greatest differentiation in sound.

It sounds like a bunch of super stoned hippies trying to play a song they just made up 5 minutes ago for the very first time.

It sounds like someone recorded a piano falling down a flight of stairs.

Yeah, I would like to make a complaint as well. It does not sound like what I am used to listening to at all. It is garbled and impossible to sing a long to. I mean, where is the CDAGFE chords repeated endlessly, that I love so much? 1, 2, 3 , 4..... seriously people experimenting with sound art should GTFO.

It sounds like a bunch of super stoned hippies trying to play a song they just made up 5 minutes ago for the very first time.

/skeptical

You notice in the tree ring that they are spinning to supposedly produce the sound, there are two *huge* cracks in it. When the "needle" goes over them...nothing.

I'm guessing their 'algorithm' used to make the music is pretty much the source of all the sound we are hearing, and the reading from the tree is just some kind of seed for a random number generator or something. (If that)

/skeptical

You notice in the tree ring that they are spinning to supposedly produce the sound, there are two *huge* cracks in it. When the "needle" goes over them...nothing.

I'm guessing their 'algorithm' used to make the music is pretty much the source of all the sound we are hearing, and the reading from the tree is just some kind of seed for a random number generator or something. (If that)

Yup. Pave seen people do all kinds of things like "the music of the sun". It's just a number generator then "artistic" decisions are made in how to interpret this.

So glad to see so many people on [H] willing to appreciate thinking outside the box.

Its not that, its that what theyve done with it sucks..
Its like the DNA music thing from a while back, neat idea, horrible execution..

Next up, "Music" of pulsar radiation as performed by screech owls..

So if I play it backwards, do I get to hear Satan? I've missed him since God destroyed vinyl albums. :(

Back