New Biochip Measures Glucose Levels in Saliva

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Through the wonders of nanotechnology, engineers from Brown University have designed a biochip that can check blood glucose levels as well as other chemical concentrations by manipulation of light waves from saliva. The obvious application would be for diabetics checking their levels painlessly, but the device can be tailored for numerous applications.

The researchers, who have published their proof-of-concept in Nano Letters, say the device should be able to simultaneously detect a wide range of chemicals or substances, including anthrax, using just one chip.

Sticking cotton buds in your mouth doesn't sound as pleasant is a needle...especially when outdoors.

It sounds promising. My 8 year old has been a type 1 diabetic since he was 5 and his fingertips look like burnt leather. He is excited about any news that means he might have to stop pricking his fingers 6-8 times a day.

It sounds promising. My 8 year old has been a type 1 diabetic since he was 5 and his fingertips look like burnt leather. He is excited about any news that means he might have to stop pricking his fingers 6-8 times a day.

Haven't they given him an "alternate site" lancet thing? It can draw blood from many more places and gives stuff time to rest.

While I would love to not have to jab myself 4 times a day (especially when you want to play guitar), I don't see this happening. This is the modern day 100mpg carburetor.

The Diabeetus industry is worth billions upon billions a year, and a huge portion of it is testing supplies.

The purveyors of such supplies will not want to see this change. Someone will buy it up and shelve it before it ever has a chance to make it to market.

Haven't they given him an "alternate site" lancet thing? It can draw blood from many more places and gives stuff time to rest.

Drawing blood from anyplace other than the fingertips is not as accurate. The fingertips are where blood is refreshed the quickest, and will always result in more accurate, reliable readings.

I compared finger/arm readings for a while, and they were never even close.

Drawing blood from anyplace other than the fingertips is not as accurate. The fingertips are where blood is refreshed the quickest, and will always result in more accurate, reliable readings.

I compared finger/arm readings for a while, and they were never even close.

My son tried a CGM as well but it is not very accurate and delayed by about 15 minutes as well. He said it was uncomfortable and bred having another WayneTech Bat Device attached to him along with his insulin pump.

I hope this goes into production sometime soon. My 4yr old daughters fingers are a bit calloused.

While nice and convenient sounding I don't think this thing is going to fly unless it is more accurate than the current prick a finger method. BTW CGMs are not meant to be used to determine BS levels they're only useful for monitoring the rate of which BS levels rise and fall.

My son tried a CGM as well but it is not very accurate and delayed by about 15 minutes as well. He said it was uncomfortable and bred having another WayneTech Bat Device attached to him along with his insulin pump.

A CGM will never match a blood glucose meter, they are measuring glucose in different fluids. a meter checks glucose levels in blood, a CGM checks glucose levels in the fluid between the cells in the fatty layers under your skin.

relying solely on a CGM to maintain your glucose levels is a recipe for disaster.

I've been type 1 for just over 30 years, CGM has been the best thing that ever happened to me. Still have to do a fingerstick 4 times a day, but thats better than 8 times and my BG is better than it ever has been because the CGM shows me trends in my BG

Glucose content is the primary parameter of semen quality. Can't wait for nurses at fertility clinics to get these biochips.

Back