PIPA Senate Vote To Be Delayed

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though politicians have knuckled under to the pressure and decided to postpone the PIPA vote. You and I both know what "compromise" means though, they are just going to reword some stuff, maybe give it a new name and then try again later. :(

In a statement, Reid said he would delay the vote scheduled for Tuesday to begin consideration until the Senate Judiciary Committee could make more progress. “We made good progress through the discussions we’ve held in recent days, and I am optimistic that we can reach a compromise in the coming weeks,” Reid said.

It's an election year. That's the only reason this thing fell apart and the White House suddenly pretended it cares about any kind of freedom.

It'll all be back next year, mostly under different names, and maybe spread out over several bills that no one will bother to read before passing.

Besides, look at the Megaupload raid. What the hell do you need SOPA/PIPA for anyways?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20027837-501465.html

Then we can get this going, too.

Definitely means they will reschedule it for later to get some distance on the immense public backlash against the bill. Normally you would think that would kill it outright, you know the governed saying to piss off, but of course in politician land nobody cares about the people they represent will continue on as scheduled as soon as public settle down. It may even get a name change to intentionally misdirect the public so they can sneak it through "for our own good. :mad:"

Definitely means they will reschedule it for later to get some distance on the immense public backlash against the bill. Normally you would think that would kill it outright, you know the governed saying to piss off, but of course in politician land nobody cares about the people they represent will continue on as scheduled as soon as public settle down. It may even get a name change to intentionally misdirect the public so they can sneak it through "for our own good. :mad:"

Or you can put in a 2500+ page monstrosity that no one bothers to read except for maybe a handful of people at the top, warp speed it through Congress, but "we'll sure all like it after it passes."

It really just seems to late for this country.

At least if they vote on it it'll become another reason for me to like Bernie Sanders.

Glass half full right?

Bills are never read anymore. They always result in detrimental unintended consequences. The mentality of the politician needs to change. If people measure the greatness of a politician by how many bills he/she wrote/vote/pass, then we truly do not live in a free society.

The Obamacare bill is the perfect example of reckless legislation that destroys freedom... all in the name of "trust us, we know whats good for you"? And there are too many people in the US who are mindless drones that fall for that BS.

You must be a F'N idiot if you actually have trust in your politician saying to you "we know whats good for you". Especially you people on the left, you lefty laymen drones have a real bad habit of surrendering your personal freedoms and responsibility to the government in hoping that a government pencil pusher will make the decisions for you life.

1984 anyone?

Bills are never read anymore. They always result in detrimental unintended consequences. The mentality of the politician needs to change. If people measure the greatness of a politician by how many bills he/she wrote/vote/pass, then we truly do not live in a free society.

The Obamacare bill is the perfect example of reckless legislation that destroys freedom... all in the name of "trust us, we know whats good for you"? And there are too many people in the US who are mindless drones that fall for that BS.

You must be a F'N idiot if you actually have trust in your politician saying to you "we know whats good for you". Especially you people on the left, you lefty laymen drones have a real bad habit of surrendering your personal freedoms and responsibility to the government in hoping that a government pencil pusher will make the decisions for you life.

1984 anyone?

Like people keep saying: 1984 and Brave New World weren't supposed to be instruction manuals.

Harry Reid, Lamar Smith, and all the other worthless pieces of human garbage who put this thing together can shove their compromise right up their stupid asses. This piece of crap legislation is going to be passed, no matter what we say or do, the lobbyists already have waaaay to much money invested to let it fall apart now. It's disgusting!

yep... shelved does not mean gone, the moment elections are done and new people are in or old people return, they'll bring it all back up.... and continue on from where they left off.

I wish the IT leaders (YouTwitFaceGooAppIBM) would grow a brass sack, stand togther and tell Uncle Sam to kill these bills forever and introduce a new bill preventing similar future changes or they take their jobs and money overseas. Then tell Hollywood if they want to stem piracy to call Gabe Newell and ask him how the hell he figured it out.

Dreamers can dream, no?

Harry Reid, Lamar Smith, and all the other worthless pieces of human garbage who put this thing together can shove their compromise right up their stupid asses. This piece of crap legislation is going to be passed, no matter what we say or do, the lobbyists already have waaaay to much money invested to let it fall apart now. It's disgusting!

People have a hard time fighting corruption because people do not know how to fight that political battle. Trying to ban/defeat/legislate lobbyists is a losing and futile effort. I will never work. Its like trying to stop a water cannon with a pair of chopsticks.

If people want to stop this shit from happening, all the blame, all the fire, must be directed at the politician to the extent the politician will want to quit. Then vote someone in with enough integrity not to get sucked into that corruption.

Then tell Hollywood if they want to stem piracy to call Gabe Newell and ask him how the hell he figured it out.

Dreamers can dream, no?

Gabe stemmed piracy? odd.. steam versions of games are the most common pirated versions now.

It looks as though politicians have knuckled under to the pressure and decided to postpone the PIPA vote. You and I both know what "compromise" means though, they are just going to reword some stuff, maybe give it a new name and then try again later. :(

Agree. This is what progressives in BOTH parties do best. They try to push any legislation that will give them more power and make the Government bigger. But once We The People figure out what they're doing, they'll just give it a new and happier name in hope everyone will think it's something else.

Probably just means they're still going to try and pass both. They're just going to wait a bit and attach it to some other legislation. The MPAA RIAA already has them bought and paid for. If they were really knuckling under and listening to their constituents they would take both bills outside and burn them in the street.

The only thing that will ever get things to change in government is a revolution against it. We take back the government from the corporations, wipe out all the crap they have done and restructure so that money from corporations no longer influences the decisions being made in the government.

And that will probably happen about the same time we all get flying cars...lol.

I'm not gonna lie, it is more of a win than I expected. Yes, the bill will be introduced in the future, but at least now the public is more aware of what this kinda of thing can mean. Now we know who would and would not support it, and just how loud we have to yell to get congresses' ear ;).

Dear Eric:

I received your letter expressing opposition to the "Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act," commonly known as the "PROTECT IP Act." I appreciate knowing your views on this matter.

The "PROTECT IP Act" (S. 968) gives both copyright and trademark owners and the U.S. Department of Justice the authority to take action against websites that are "dedicated to infringing activities." These are websites that have "no significant use other than engaging in, enabling, or facilitating" copyright infringement, the sale of goods with a counterfeit trademark, or the evasion of technological measures designed to protect against copying.

The bill does not violate First Amendment rights to free speech because copyright piracy is not speech.

America's copyright industry is an important economic engine, and I believe copyright owners should be able to prevent their works from being illegally duplicated and stolen. The protection of intellectual property is particularly vital to California's thriving film, music, and high-technology industries.

I understand you have concerns about the "PROTECT IP Act." While I voted in favor of this bill when it was before the Senate Judiciary Committee, I have also been working with California high-technology businesses to improve the bill and to address the concerns of high-tech businesses, public interest groups and others. I recognize the bill needs further changes to prevent it from imposing undue burdens on legitimate businesses and activities, and I will be working to make the improvements, either by working with Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-VT) or through amendments on the Senate floor.

On May 26, 2011, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the "PROTECT IP Act" for consideration by the full Senate. Please know I will keep your concerns and thoughts in mind should the Senate proceed to a vote on this legislation. As you may be aware, Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) has introduced similar legislation, the "Stop Online Piracy Act" (H.R. 3261), in the House of Representatives.

Once again, thank you for sharing your views. I hope you will continue to keep me informed on issues of importance to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841.

Wishing you a happy 2012.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the Nation are available at my website, Feinstein.senate.gov. You can also receive electronic e-mail updates by subscribing to my e-mail list. Click here to sign up. Feel free to checkout my YouTube Page.

It's just a shell game. You watch; it will be back.

They'll just break it up in little pieces and make the pieces into riders on jobs bills, funding for the arts, hell, it could be part of an anti-terrorism bill.

They'll just break it up in little pieces and make the pieces into riders on jobs bills, funding for the arts, hell, it could be part of an anti-terrorism bill.

This is EXACTLY what will happen.

Dear Eric:

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

What a load of shit. They have the right to protect copyrights, so let's pull the plug on the whole website if they infringe on copyrights under any circumstance and turn site owners into 24/7 nannies. It really shows how little these people know about the Internet, or how deep they are in the pocket of the entertainment industry.

Worst yet, if Obama loses this election along with many incumbents in the Senate and House then expect this legislation along with other crap sandwiches to rear its ugly head during their lame duck session.

Keep on your toes this November-January cause that's the period when government becomes very dangerous.

Worst yet, if Obama loses this election along with many incumbents in the Senate and House then expect this legislation along with other crap sandwiches to rear its ugly head during their lame duck session.

And if they win it will be full-steam ahead with it because they'll see their reelections as a "mandate" to continue driving the country off a cliff. It will still be an issue no matter who wins. To quote Bruce Dickinson, "Take a dive, or sink, or swim, but in the end you're in the same pollution." :(

Back