Samsung 830 - Magician Software and Sleep

To all the Samsung 830 users out there, is your Magician software keeping your computer from sleeping?

Mine does, I disabled allow wake timers in the power options and give the computer 2 hours before entering sleep mode for garbage collection. The other option would be to not run the software at startup and leave wake timers alone.

Just wanted to see if this is how its supposed to work or am I just the only one?

I've heard reports of that. Interestingly, I had the opposite problem. My system was configured to not sleep ever, and at some point while I was out of town, I tried to RDC, and the system was sleeping.

I'm endurance testing an 830 64GB, and it's chugging along at 129.4MB/s.

I just tested it out myself, and mine works fine. So either there's another variable involved or your Magician isn't up to date or something.

My Wear Leveling Count doesn't work right, even after upgrading the FW to CMX02B1Q. After the drive has been powered for at least 60 hours the drive will start updating PE cycle count again, but as soon as I power off the drive the realtime count stops.

Having a similar problem. The magician software is waking my computer up after I put it to sleep, after about 30 seconds of sleep, every time. Scheduling is off.
WzRlJ.png

Last edited:
I'm curious too. I just got an 830 256GB yesterday and plan on installing it early next week. I'd like to know what the point of their sofie is, and why should I add another app that runs in the background on my gaming rig.

edit: I found my answer via Google... sort of. let me hear from real power users why you use this soft; please?

http://www.techspot.com/review/340-samsung-470-series-ssd/page3.html

While I don't own a Samsung 830, I think people like having the ability to see the SSD's health, update the firmware from withing OS, use the built in benchmark, and run the performance tuning (auto trim like). I think there's also a built in over provision feature, which Samsung recommends using, but I doubt most use this.

The Samsung Magician software does a couple cool things. If you have Norton Ghost installed, Magician can clone drives. It also has manual performance optimization, auto tweaking, and the overprovision feature. I do think you should add some OP to the drive, but you don't have to rely on the software to do it.

It's great for what it is, but some things are annoying : after optimization the software automatically runs the performance benchmark. All in all, it's great. Intel and Samsung are lightyears ahead of everyone else's utilities (though that number is pretty small -- just OCZ off the top of my head).

I would turn off the scheduling features, or alternately, you could just set it to not start with Windows.

Having a similar problem. The magician software is waking my computer up after I put it to sleep, after about 30 seconds of sleep, every time. Scheduling is off.
WzRlJ.png

Indeed, version 3.1 has a bug: it always calls SetWaitableTimer with fResume set to TRUE. This flag causes the computer to wake up.

Here's a patch for version 3.1.0.0 to set fResume to FALSE:

0000935C: 01 00
00009838: 01 00
000098DA: 01 00
000099B7: 01 00
0000A366: 01 00
0000C4F2: 01 00
0003E5D7: 01 00
0004770C: 01 00
000479A2: 01 00
0004D5D1: 01 00
0004DEA7: 01 00
000D94E9: 01 00
000D9679: 01 00
000D9742: 01 00

No wakeups from SSD Magician anymore! :-D

I don't even run the Magician software anymore. If I need it I can run it, but it is turned off in msconfig.

An answer from Samsung:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Samsung regarding your SSD inquiries. We recommend that when not using the Magician tool program that you close it out as it is not necessary to run the program in the background. All interaction with the Magician tool program is through the user and will not do anything in the background.

Thank you for choosing Samsung.

There's no reason to run the magician software in windows 7 at all, since win7 supports TRIM. At the very most, you can run it once with the system tuning option to turn off defragmentation, etc, then close it. It certainly shouldn't be left running in the background.

Just registered to say that I have the same problem on my 830 in a Windows 7 x64 machine, a desktop.

However, I do NOT have this problem with my 840 (not 830) in a Windows 8 machine, a laptop. I used to have the same problem on the laptop but after running the OS Optimization feature for "Reliability", the problem went away. Running the same OS Optimization for the desktop on the 830, the problem is still there.

I'm using the recent Magician v4.1 and in both cases. I now no longer start it at startup, mostly because I don't want it to run the performance optimization so often (which is basically a manual TRIM of the whole drive). That uses up erase cycles. If the Magician is running in the background, it periodically TRIMs the drive every day or every 6 or 12 hours (I can't recall exactly). Scrapped that.

I'm puzzled about the reply from that Samsung rep above. If they recommend not to run it in the background, then why do you automatically make Magician run at startup?

Last edited:
Back