Lorien

Supreme [H]ardness
Price $449
Specs:
1792 Stream processors @800Mhz
3GB GDDR5 memory @5000MHz
384bit Memory bus
2x6Pin PCI-e Power connectors

The specs and picture below are from an engineering sample. Retail clocks will undoubtedly vary/change depending on the manufacturer.
2f9eb95418085d5e.jpg

Obligatory hardware pr0n:

PowerColor 7950 PCS
powercolor7950.jpg

Sapphire 7950
sapphire7950.jpg

Last edited:
15% slower than a 7970 will put it about equal to the 1.5GB 580. The benefit will be that it has 3GB of memory and good overclocking potential, so these should sell pretty well.

Well if the reference runs at 800mhz and the gigabyte windforce is clocked at 900mhz, it looks to me we might have some good OC headroom

$449? I would never pay over $300 for a new card. Guess I'm sticking with my 6870 for the time being.

damn 450.. i might have to buy me one. 7970 costs to much for what i can afford(even though its priced where it should be) and is to over powered for the resolution i use..

any work if these will unlock to a 7970?

my guess is the delay had a little something to do with making sure they can't be unlocked along with making sure they had enough inventory for its release since it will definitely sell faster then the 7970.

Based from those images posted and as we all know, PowerColor and Sapphire makes quality and hi performance gpu coolers
for their hi end Radeon models and by the time 7950 is out im sure those who will buy it will surely enjoy the hi overclocks and
performance they will achieve with those non reference models. :)

I just hope that as what AMD did to their 6950 models...
--WE ALL WISH WE COULD MOD THE 7950's BIOS TO USE the 7970s LIKE WE ALL DID ON OUR HD6950s

-- If that is possible, then that 7950 would be an awesome video card as its predecessor...

The performance is listed as So i take it they under clocked a 7970

they may or may not have laser cut the extra shaders. the 6950 they bios disabled the extra shaders to probably save money and time but more then likely they made sure they laser cut them this time.

With a $100 price difference, I think the shaders are probably laser cut, at least those portions of the 7950s that might have extra viable shaders. 7970s have been selling enough and at a premium that any extra chips that had full shaders probably would have been shunted to the more expensive cards.

I highly doubt there will be any sort of "unlocking a 7950 to 7970 business. Not this early in the game and not when there is a LOT of money out there to be made on the high end.

If they let chips that didn't get snipped out - not only does that cost them money off their 7970 line, but it would also royally piss off the people who spend 600-700 dollars for the top tier model. AMD is on thin ice after bull dozer, the 7000 series seems to be winning them some love back but it would be a huge slap in the face to customers to let unlocking slide for the 7000 series.

The only time I it would make financial sense is when the market is already saturated with 7970 cards and yields have improved such that there is no cost difference between a 7950 and 7970 chip at that point if they released an unlockable form - it could get a slight shot in the arm to any stagnant sales down the line.

At $450 the 7950 is going to be almost double the price you can find an unlockable 6950 for, how much of a performance increase is it actually going to offer for that price premium?

At $450 the 7950 is going to be almost double the price you can find an unlockable 6950 for, how much of a performance increase is it actually going to offer for that price premium?

it's probably about as fast as stock 7970 with oc on 7950

so this is probably close to what you want to know since 6950 unlocked oc = 6970
1324209130CZ7mwgCQjR_14_1.gif

Hmm if these clock well I am going to have to make a decision when IB comes out:

1) Spend $450 on a 7950 and overclock it, sell my 560Ti for probably $150 = $300
2) Get another GTX560Ti for SLI with bit of OC on both cards (900MHz core) for $200 = $200

In my situation, not sure it's worth an extra $100 (50% more) to go 7950 when the GTX560Ti is likely within 30% of an OC'd 7950.

Just like the 6950s, I will probably wait until they hit the $200 price point and then pick up two.

$300 is probably what you are looking for since msrp of 7950 is $449 versus $299 of 6950
unless you don't mind long wait

$449? I would never pay over $300 for a new card. Guess I'm sticking with my 6870 for the time being.
Then these clearly aren't for you, are they?

Why the hell do people keep posting shit like this? They will undoubtedly release a card in your price range. Video cards have been coming out at $400+ for years, get over it already.

hmm.. i had really hoped it would be a bit cheaper, around $400 at least. can't really cough more than that

The 7950 with 1.5GB is supposedly coming at around 400.

i'll gladly pay the extra money for the 3GB cards, lol.

Then these clearly aren't for you, are they?

Why the hell do people keep posting shit like this? They will undoubtedly release a card in your price range. Video cards have been coming out at $400+ for years, get over it already.

because people seem to think its against the rules for AMD to price their shit so they can make a profit. AMD's suppose to be the company that releases bad ass cards at a bargain basement price while Nvidia rips off all their customers, duh..

/sarcasm

what do you expect, people that make posts like that are oblivious to how the real world works..

Back