please suggest replacement for Bose MediaMate desktop speakers

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Currently have a set of Bose MediaMate speakers which I would like to replace with a 2.1 set. I only need the sound for gaming, I don't watch movies on the computer or listen to any high quality audio stuff.

I looked through some other threads here as saw the Swan M10 show up a few times. My concern is that those speakers are pretty large and it appears as if the volume control is mounted on the subwoofer. I would need to put the sub on the floor out of easy reach and while I could control the volume from the PC it's probably less than idea.

There's also the Dayton B652 which appears popular but again those speakers are probably too large to just sit on the desk?

Lastly, there's the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 where the speakers are sufficiently small but the price goes up quite a bit.

My question is whether the sound is better when the speakers are larger, whether it matters for my use, and whether there's any viable alternative for the Klipsch ones when it comes to the small size of the speakers.

EDIT: Also found Audioengine's A2 speakers (self powered, 2.0, kevlar woofers, silk tweeters) see: http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-2 at $200 perhaps too much for what they are in comparison to some of the other gear?

Last edited:
Currently have a set of Bose MediaMate speakers which I would like to replace with a 2.1 set. I only need the sound for gaming, I don't watch movies on the computer or listen to any high quality audio stuff.

I looked through some other threads here as saw the Swan M10 show up a few times. My concern is that those speakers are pretty large and it appears as if the volume control is mounted on the subwoofer. I would need to put the sub on the floor out of easy reach and while I could control the volume from the PC it's probably less than idea.

There's also the Dayton B652 which appears popular but again those speakers are probably too large to just sit on the desk?

Lastly, there's the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 where the speakers are sufficiently small but the price goes up quite a bit.

My question is whether the sound is better when the speakers are larger, whether it matters for my use, and whether there's any viable alternative for the Klipsch ones when it comes to the small size of the speakers.

size does not necessarily equate to speakers being better, however having 5.25" mids vs 3" mids can give you much better mid-range sound, and having a tweeter will give you better highs. IMO for your gaming env the klipsch will do just fine. you should also look into some open headphones for gaming =) great for imaging ("3d" audio) in games.

I'm confused. You want good quality / small speakers, but won't be listening to high quality audio, but you game?

Make up your mind.
What requirements do you have?
What budget?
Why are you upgrading from your Bose?

I'm confused. You want good quality / small speakers, but won't be listening to high quality audio, but you game?

Make up your mind.
What requirements do you have?
What budget?
Why are you upgrading from your Bose?

Ha! Points well taken.
I am upgrading from the Bose because I need new speakers at work and will just take the Bose ones to work. In addition I was until recently quite oblivious to the details about Bose using cheap stuff to make expensive speakers and so I can't help but wonder whether I would get noticeably (noticeable to me as non-audiophile) better sound with different speakers.

I would prefer to not spend more than $300 when it's all said and done, though obviously if I can spend less then that would be good.

As far as requirements, again sound out of my machine is 90% gaming. Anything above 2.1 is out of the question as I don't have a good way to place rear speakers. If need be I can make room on the desk for larger speakers such as the M10.

Volume control right on the speaker or with some sort of control module would be better than controlling the volume from the PC. For example, if I am gaming and need to turn the volume down I don't want to have to go into the game settings, or use the Windows volume controls.

you should also look into some open headphones for gaming =) great for imaging ("3d" audio) in games.
I have tried various headphones over the years and always disliked the feel of them. It just gets too annoying after anything longer than like 20 minutes. Too much pressure/discomfort from wearing headphones.

The M10 satellites and subwoofer are actually very small. You can read the dimensions on the specs and see if they work. The subwoofer for the M10 is supposed to sit on your desk.

The Harman Kardon Soundsticks takes about the same amount of real estate and may sound better if you feel you must have a 2.1. I have never heard them myself but I hear good things about them.

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon...3K9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326864994&sr=8-1

In terms of going the bookshelf / active monitor route, I would not bother the Audioengine A2 route. I do not think they are worth the money. REAL bookshelf speakers are much larger and would require an additional amplifier or receiver. If you think the M10 is huge, then this definitely would not work.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's kind of confusing that there are two M10s, there's the HiVi Swan M10 and then the Polk Audio M10. You are right that the Swan M10 satellites aren't that large. I am still not quite clear what people do with the woofer. It's my impression that it needs to be in the center, but that's where the monitor already is and placing the monitor onto the woofer makes the monitor too high. Placing the woofer behind the monitor is awkward at best and really impractical due to the volume control being on the woofer (for Swan M10).

I am starting to think to skip woofer setups and just go with 2.0 which is what I have now, except that I'll get better quality and go with a bookshelf + amp setup. I do like Dayton Audio DTA-1 T-Amp with it's prominent centered volume knob though I am still trying to find out whether getting speakers better than the B652 is worth it for my use or whether I won't actually hear any difference when gaming.

They do look great and the remote volume knob is awesome, BUT a couple of reviewers noticed a hiss/hum when the speakers are off. That's not going to work for me as the setup is in the bedroom and any kind of noise from the speakers while they are not in use will make me a sad panda.

A reviewer remarked that he will look into a way to just cut the power to the speakers at night to get rid of the hiss/hum but a TAI employee replied that they are supposed to be powered on at all times and that they are covered under the 30-day in-home guarantee.

oh **** i had typed out a long winded thing but it disappeared (thanx internet...)

blah blah blah

i just got bookshelf speakers and a t-amp

I got Polk T15 bookshelfs ($50 on sale ..but now $100 meh)

and getting a Polk PSW10 sub $90~ promo code newegg)

and a SMSL SA-S3 25Wx2 t-amp

looks good sounds great if you have room for those m50w speakers then you'd have room for something like my set up.

so i guess if i was doing it again / today i'd get the Polk M30 bookshelf speakers $80~ promo code newegg)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290200

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMSL-SA-S3-...&otn=4&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=5702904261891238369

(this guy and a bunch of other China sellers taking the rest of the month off for Chinese new year apparently... how are these guys kicking our asses when the take a whole month off??? discussion for another day /place i guess)

blah blah blah... i like my T15s over the m30s in two ways first the T15s are slightly smaller and are ported out the front which is good cause i have desk space issues and the speakers are up on the wall just about. However the T15s are back to $100 which i don't think i'd have paid for them.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back