Thermal Compound Roundup

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hardware Secrets has a new thermal paste round-up posted today featuring fifty five different thermal compounds. Tune in for the round-up, stay for the mustard testing. ;)

On the other hand, mustard didn't disappoint. It performed as well as some commercial thermal compounds (at least for the first minutes) and better than lipstick, oil, butter, and toothpaste, although mayonnaise is, as of now, unbeatable among the alternative compounds we tried.

Anyone else wondering why their room temperature varies so damn much?

Good ol' Mayonnaise. Behind AS5 by just 2 degrees and leaves the room smelling like sam'iches. Mmmmm... :p

Damn, the secret is out. Its all about using whatever bodily fluid is most available.

Was looking at their recommended application method...sure looks like more than I would usually use. Hard to tell from the pictures. I hate seeing crap like that....*talks self into not pulling cooler back off again*

Makes me wonder what that Rosewill RCX-TC060PRO is actually made of. It does worse than most of the 'comedic' thermal pastes.

Welp, looks like AS5 it is- since I have leftovers from a couple years ago. Was actually going to look up how AS5 compares to NT-H1 since that came with my cooler... and stumbled upon this. Thanks for posting.

Careful with using old thermal paste, it's performance may not be optimal. Had to diagnose a friend's fresh build as his CPU was running hot, turns out the tube of AS5 he was using was several years old :p

Darn, I just threw away an old tube of AS5 thinking it was too old. I replaced it with Artic Aluminn which AS told me was jsut as good. My bad, I doubt AS5 would have been as bad even if it was 9 years old.

Been using a tube of Akasa 450 the past year. Works pretty good for the price. Well its what I use for all my customers HSF when they get serviced.

Seen some horrors under those prebuilt PCs coolers.

I'm not surprised mayo does so well: it's mainly olive or vegetable oil plus a little bit of egg, and we've read before about computers dunked in oil. I wouldn't like to rely on it long-term, though.

mmmm chocolate thermal computnd.. they failed to mention if it was dark or milk :D and mustard!

Hrrmm...

Think I'm going to try Bacon grease....

a 2 degree margin of error is probably pretty conservative. 3-4 degrees is more likely taking into account variations in mounting and actual heat produced in the CPU. so theres about 25 pastes in that graph that are statistically identical.

I love the fact the new artic products for the most part are worse than the ones they replace. Then again I've used arctic ceramique for years now and after about a week it drops the temps by a good deal.

Back