China Claims 513 Million Web Users

HardOCP News

[H] News
China has 513 million web users? That number seems low doesn't it? Now, if we are just talking about pirates and gold farmers, that number seems about right. ;)

The China Internet Network Information Center—China’s state-run Internet registry—reports (Chinese PDF) that the number of Web users in China increased by 12 percent in 2011, reaching a total of 513 million users in December 2011. As a point of comparison, that means China has 67 percent more Web users than the entire U.S. population: five Chinese citizens access the Web for every three Americans—regardless of whether those Americans have Internet access or not.

That number is actually quite high considering a large portion of their population still live in abject poverty.

lmfao. Because information coming from something called "The China Internet Network Information Center" would be legit. Bwhaha!

Good. Then they should turn their malware up on themselves. Better target.

Wow that really goes to show how undeveloped China is. There are 1,339,724,852 people in China as of the 2010 census.

I'll say one thing,the net makes it much cheaper to lay out the propaganda to its people. Much cheaper then building thousands of statues and huge paintings of the number one Guru. No time for a revolution if everyone is to busy becoming a capitalist and playing games the rest of the time.

In other news china has the worlds biggest population and is rapidily becoming modernized.. like this is a surprise

They have 200 millions people that do not have access to drinkable water....

They have 200 millions people that do not have access to drinkable water....

I'm a university student at one of the most prestigeous universities in Canada located in British Columbia which narrows it down pretty much to a T and at our campus the drinking water is 'Yellow' from mineral contamination and is considered unsafe for drinking for infants, elderly and people with a compromised immune system(sick or HIV, etc). Funny thing about being sick is sometimes you don't show symptoms for 3 days?

So were drinking water unsafe for drinking for 3 days...anytime someone's sick and yes, there's a lot of elderly professors on campus whom I presume drink water at least on occasion. I also wonder what water is used to wash our cutlury, dishes and other mentional items on campus. It feels like Im dirtying my dishes again when I rinse them in the yellow water.

Anyways, yes, China has people with no access to drinking water meanwhile Canada has university students in the same boat. Don't worry though, we can buy 1L bottles of water from Amatrack (a rip-off of a corporation) that provides our food services for a mere $4.56 a bottle. Yes, $4.56 per L of drinking water. Certinately any starving student on a student loan can afford that twice a day everyday for 4 years. Why that would only work out to $8,000.00 spent on water. Oh almost 2 years worth of tuition.

At least were not forced to buy that water as its only a 45 minute return trip into town for geoceries and back via bus. Not to mention, carrying water is both light in bulk and factoring in the return trip of a bus ticket, equally cheap! ....

You forgot the guys in the labour camps having to play WoW as punishment.

Would you guys finally drop the Wow gold farming labor camp thing, I mean come on. Chinese kids farm gold because they have no better prospects. Would you rather play WoW 12 hours a day for money or work on an assembly line 12 hours a day for Foxconn ?

That number is actually quite high considering a large portion of their population still live in abject poverty.

I'm not from China, but after working for a certain MMO company hosting a Korean game locally, i've seen what the player demographic is really like. Our highest level MMO players don't have their own computers. The highest level player i know is homeless.

$2 will let you rent a computer in an internet cafe for an entire day. I guess MMO is a way for them to feel they excelled even tho they can barely keep a roof over their heads.

Walking through the the different MMO's rather odd actually. The way the people talk and loiter makes me feel like i'm walking through a digital version of the wrong side of the tracks, which considering what i know now, probably is.

One wonders how padded that number is. I would bet they are counting dumbphone web browsers.

I was going to post that. I have many ways of getting online. Two laptops, four computers plus a media center at home, my iPhone, not to mention my Playstation 3 and Wii can go online. Does that make me 10 web users?

I was going to post that. I have many ways of getting online. Two laptops, four computers plus a media center at home, my iPhone, not to mention my Playstation 3 and Wii can go online. Does that make me 10 web users?

No. When you go into a cybercafe in China they make you present ID, and then you are registered as an internet user. Same thing when you order internet service. Since everyone has the same state issued ID there's really no room for (accidental) miscounting other than people who for some reason bought internet service but stopped using it, and foreigners.

I'm a university student at one of the most prestigeous universities in Canada located in British Columbia which narrows it down pretty much to a T and at our campus the drinking water is 'Yellow' from mineral contamination and is considered unsafe for drinking for infants, elderly and people with a compromised immune system(sick or HIV, etc). Funny thing about being sick is sometimes you don't show symptoms for 3 days?

So were drinking water unsafe for drinking for 3 days...anytime someone's sick and yes, there's a lot of elderly professors on campus whom I presume drink water at least on occasion. I also wonder what water is used to wash our cutlury, dishes and other mentional items on campus. It feels like Im dirtying my dishes again when I rinse them in the yellow water.

Anyways, yes, China has people with no access to drinking water meanwhile Canada has university students in the same boat. Don't worry though, we can buy 1L bottles of water from Amatrack (a rip-off of a corporation) that provides our food services for a mere $4.56 a bottle. Yes, $4.56 per L of drinking water. Certinately any starving student on a student loan can afford that twice a day everyday for 4 years. Why that would only work out to $8,000.00 spent on water. Oh almost 2 years worth of tuition.

At least were not forced to buy that water as its only a 45 minute return trip into town for geoceries and back via bus. Not to mention, carrying water is both light in bulk and factoring in the return trip of a bus ticket, equally cheap! ....

Sounds like you need to get in the market and sell your own bottled water stock. Go south of the border, buy a truck full, bring it up and sell it locally. Winner = you. That'll force Amatrack to knock down their prices hopefully.

What a coincident, my daughter goes to UBCO and they have notices also not to drink the water. Something wrong here, why can't UBCO hook up to Kelownas water supply. I'm sure Kelowna benefits from 7000 students and next year their hoping for 10000 students.

What a coincident, my daughter goes to UBCO and they have notices also not to drink the water. Something wrong here, why can't UBCO hook up to Kelownas water supply. I'm sure Kelowna benefits from 7000 students and next year their hoping for 10000 students.

Forgot to mention, a small remuneration for each bottle sold goes to the University. Thats why it cost so much for all the food and drinks, Like their in a hurry to stop the cash flow.

lol, coming from China. Besides, just because they're on the internet, how many websites are they allowed to access? I have a good friend in China and they have to proxy everything because everything is blocked. No Google, YouTube, Facebook, etc.

Back