Corning Gorilla Glass 2 Test Demo at CES

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Not everything at CES is electronic in nature and Corning is making that point quite well with a demonstration of its new Gorilla Glass 2 which is used for phone and tablet touchscreens. The new version of Gorilla Glass is 20% thinner, but still retains the same strength as the original product making possible thinner and lighter devices.

I would have liked to see how Gorilla 2 would have done at 1mm as well as .8mm.

That guy's upper body strength is lacking..
I'm pretty sure that if this guy just laid down his entire body weight onto the machine that it would produce a much more inarticulate measurement. By slowly building up the pressure you get a more precise measurement. If he just jumped onto the machine it might say that the breaking weight was 200lbs because that was the only weight tested.

How about a scratch proof version?
Yeah I'm disappointed in the current gen gorilla glass for this very reason. In my own use it doesn't seem to be noticeably better in this area at all.

I'm pretty sure that if this guy just laid down his entire body weight onto the machine that it would produce a much more inarticulate measurement. By slowly building up the pressure you get a more precise measurement. If he just jumped onto the machine it might say that the breaking weight was 200lbs because that was the only weight tested.

Yeah I'm disappointed in the current gen gorilla glass for this very reason. In my own use it doesn't seem to be noticeably better in this area at all.

Upper body strength has nothing to do with body weight. ;)

hrm...been carrying a Droid Charge completely naked since they came out pretty much, several drops, in pockets with keys, i handle it a LOT, yet not a single scratch....I consider it to be scratch proof when taken in context

now if you want to be able to lap your cpu using the face of your cell phone without it getting scratched, i am not sure if you understand

Upper body strength has nothing to do with body weight. ;)
In that exact wording you are correct.

As far as pressure against the glass, there is absolutely no difference at all. Body weight was used as an extreme example to help inform you on why he was slowly building up the pressure vs. throwing 200lbs of dead weight onto the sensor.

In that exact wording you are correct.

As far as pressure against the glass, there is absolutely no difference at all. Body weight was used as an extreme example to help inform you on why he was slowly building up the pressure vs. throwing 200lbs of dead weight onto the sensor.

Do you really not get it? His upper body strength was deemed lacking bc of how 'hard' it was for him to get to 120. Someone with sufficient upper body strength wouldn't have as much difficulty getting to 120 and above. It wasn't about the testing method, it was about the testers shortcomings in performing it.

Meanwhile, everyone else uses the pocket WITHOUT their car keys....

Seriously, I have no idea what you guys are doing with your phones. I have TRIED to scratch my phone, it does not happen. Not gonna stab it with a knife either, but I'm sure you understand.

I being serious, I would to know what you do with your phone. I don't understand how either of you were able to scratch the screen, WITHOUT having aggressively done it on purpose. My Galaxy S2 has not had this problem...

Do you really not get it? His upper body strength was deemed lacking bc of how 'hard' it was for him to get to 120. Someone with sufficient upper body strength wouldn't have as much difficulty getting to 120 and above. It wasn't about the testing method, it was about the testers shortcomings in performing it.

Bingo.

while putting 120lbs of pressure using a level mechanism shouldn't be hard -- I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt in the instance this might have been at the end of the day. Can you imagine every 5 or 10 minutes having to get this demonstration? And how you POSSIBLY would get tired at the end of the day?

Of course the people here with disproportionate arm strength wouldn't understand. ;-) (Bazinga)

I being serious, I would to know what you do with your phone. I don't understand how either of you were able to scratch the screen, WITHOUT having aggressively done it on purpose. My Galaxy S2 has not had this problem...

I don't put keys in my pocket with my phones, but i have scratched it before. Had some sand on my hand when i was at the beach, sand > glass. No need for alot of pressure to scratch glass, just needs to be higher on the Moh's [H]ness scale.

I don't put keys in my pocket with my phones, but i have scratched it before. Had some sand on my hand when i was at the beach, sand > glass. No need for alot of pressure to scratch glass, just needs to be higher on the Moh's [H]ness scale.

so our phones need to be able to withstand sandpaper now?

it will be long time before we get scratch free version, i mean any solid object can scratch any glass depending on size and edge of other object (like sand) even broken ball bearing can scratch the glass. and when i say crack i mean not simple crack but one that over time will brake the screen.

it will be long time before we get scratch free version, i mean any solid object can scratch any glass depending on size and edge of other object (like sand) even broken ball bearing can scratch the glass. and when i say crack i mean not simple crack but one that over time will brake the screen.

brake ≠ break ;)

i dunno, after these past few years of carrying touchscreen smartphones without screen protectors and never having a problem with scratches, keys in pocket and all...I don't understand what people are doing with their phones

Keys won't scratch glass, rings with gemstones and sand will.

I take my phone with me almost everywhere I go. I go outside. I have a scratch on my screen.

All it takes is one grain of sand with the right mineral content.

Keys won't scratch glass, rings with gemstones and sand will.

I take my phone with me almost everywhere I go. I go outside. I have a scratch on my screen.

All it takes is one grain of sand with the right mineral content.

next up gorilla glass with a 2 micron layer of synthetic diamond grown on the face. Cost 50 bagillion dollars.

Seriously though. I doubt we're going to see a lot more scratch resistance than we currently have. ceramics that can scratch even the best glass are ubiquitous. Just be careful. I'm more worried about the screen shattering when dropped than having a couple scratches after a year or so. They're doing pretty darn well in that department, but they're getting better.

Is this being used in TV's too? With all the flailing of arms and legs with these new motion capture consoles might need to have some screens with some sterner stuff?

Is this being used in TV's too? With all the flailing of arms and legs with these new motion capture consoles might need to have some screens with some sterner stuff?

Some of the upper end Sony's switched to it earlier this year, the ones with the monolithic screens. I'm sure there are others though

this should be used by apple on their product.... since their stuff gets scratched hardcore..

Gorilla Glass is made to protect. One job and one job only.

My take...his upper body strength has nothing to do with it. He was trying NOT to break either gorilla glass sample, so he was using energy to control how much force he applied so that he could bring it to just under the fracture stress the gorilla glas can handle. I am sure Corning doesn't want to release the specific performance numbers of Gorilla glass products on you tube, and breaking it would have.

That one isn't crystal clear transparent, so it is a good stepping stone but not quite Scotty's level... yet ;-)

The problem with anything aluminum...it dents and scratches very easily. So instead of a broken tablet screen, you would end up with one full of dents into the electronics.

My take...his upper body strength has nothing to do with it. He was trying NOT to break either gorilla glass sample, so he was using energy to control how much force he applied so that he could bring it to just under the fracture stress the gorilla glas can handle. I am sure Corning doesn't want to release the specific performance numbers of Gorilla glass products on you tube, and breaking it would have.

You might be right, but, that just seems a futile effort to me. Gorilla Glass 2 will be in consumer devices, and no doubt some geek with a hobby to tinker will find that breaking point. I just don't see how that matters personally, but what you're saying makes a bit of sense.

I would have liked to see how Gorilla 2 would have done at 1mm as well as .8mm.

It would probably perform similarly. Gorilla Glass is chemically tempered so the strength comes from a layer of glass on the surface that is under compressive stress. My guess would be that rather than developing a "stronger" glass that could be made thinner, which is not really how tempered glass works, they were able to improve their manufacturing process to make their existing glass a little bit thinner while still performing the same.

Sony is using gorilla glass on some of their Led TVs, I was just wondering if it had AG coating as well ?

Back