Hot Crucial m4 256gb - $329 Shipped with coupon

Nice, I'm going to return the 128Gb M4 I bought the other day, sell the one I bought last month, and just get this. Was going to run two drives, but this actually works out to be cheaper (and faster :)).

woops. my fault delete ;)

good deal op, i'm on the fence.... cant pull the trigger yet.

Last edited:
Pretty sure they've been shipping with the 0009 firmware for a few months now, it's been out since August. Someone brings this up in every M4 thread.

He's referring to the newest issue which is that after ~5184 hours the drive will become unstable and required you to restart your computer. After an hour passed, it would occur again.

Firmware 0309 which was released on Friday helped fix that issue.

Ugh, now I gotta flash these damn things again. I thought they'd already fixed this crap.

0009 was some minor fixes and a nice performance boost.
0309 is a fix for a recently discovered critical bug.

Not to get OT too much, but i thought I read somewhere that crucial is letting people just rma these drives if they want? If they'd just send me out a new one, that might be better, since I'm going to sell my 128's anyways.

0009 was some minor fixes and a nice performance boost.
0309 is a fix for a recently discovered critical bug.

Quick FYI for everyone. I purchased a new 128 last month with 0009 and running fine but I went ahead and updated the firmware just now. No loss of data, pretty painless using the 0309 firmware ISO burned to a dvd.

Hopefully goes well for everyone else and fixes the 5000 hour restart issue.

Cheers. :cool:

Has anyone here utilized them in RAID-0?

There was a discussion going in here about it. Nobody actually doing it though. I think most people are turned off by the lack of trim, and rst won't have support for a little while still. Hence, why I decided to get the 256 and sell both my 128's.

I looked into possibly doing it with two 128gb and no longer think it'd be a great idea, due to the lack of trim and their not so great GC. I think the same would be true for most non SF ssds.

I have 2 - 64gb M4's in my work computer, when I first got them I researched it and decided to give Raid 0 a shot. I used it that way for about a month and it was fast but noticeably slower than computers I had at home which had single SSD's with lesser hardware. I changed them to 2 single drives and have been much happier with the performance. Sorry I don't have any benchmarks and did this about a year ago, if I had to do it again I would benchmark.

I have 2 - 64gb M4's in my work computer, when I first got them I researched it and decided to give Raid 0 a shot. I used it that way for about a month and it was fast but noticeably slower than computers I had at home which had single SSD's with lesser hardware. I changed them to 2 single drives and have been much happier with the performance. Sorry I don't have any benchmarks and did this about a year ago, if I had to do it again I would benchmark.

I use my 64GB in a RAID0 for booting.. here is a look at performance with the 0009 firmware. Rig specs in siggy.

CrucialM4RAID0.gif

Write speed is nothing to write home about. But after install it's not very important for what I use the rig for... gaming. Great price on the drive.. shame I cannot afford 2 of them. Keeping my eyes open for sales on the 128GB model as I'm down to just over 30GB available on my RAID0 boot partition. :D

I looked into possibly doing it with two 128gb and no longer think it'd be a great idea, due to the lack of trim and their not so great GC. I think the same would be true for most non SF ssds.

Just wondering....where have you seen that these don't have great GC?

Buydig.com has Crucial 256gb m4 for $349 - $20 coupon (Free Shipping).
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CRCT256M4SSD2

Use coupon code SeasonsDigging20

Shipping can be upgraded from 7-9 days to 4-6 days (FedEX Ground) for $3.95 and NJ seems to be the only state with sales tax.

Awesome, you're the man! I grabbed one, I was looking at getting this one and was going to jump on it via. Amazon in the next few weeks but I just wen't ahead and grabbed this. Saved me $30. Thanks man!

Raid 0 - 9.17.2011 128gb m4 raid
as-ssd-benchWindows7Boot917201112-30-05PMrsttoolboxwritecacheenabled.png

Raid 0 - 2.01.2012 128gb m4 raid
as-ssd-benchWindows7Boot2120127-05-44PM.png

Garbage Collection works... quite well. System is basically on 24/7.

You can raid safely, however I'd gladly trade my 2 128gbs for a single 256, i don't need the e-peen but I need the sata ports. :)

I'll be honest. I'm just repeating what everyone has told me when I've asked about it below and elsewhere.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1665237
I know SF has very aggressive GC, but I don't actually have a source that claims m4 GC is "bad".

I think that opinion comes from some article from an SSD website. They just said "garbage collection unknown" or something along those lines for the C300/M4 series.

I think GC works well for the M4, just from people's posts on Crucial's website, etc.

I think that opinion comes from some article from an SSD website. They just said "garbage collection unknown" or something along those lines for the C300/M4 series.

I think GC works well for the M4, just from people's posts on Crucial's website, etc.

This is good to know and Thank you. I think I'm going to switch to two m4 128gb, so I have the option down the road. If Intel decides to add trim support for raid 0 in April/May, great. If not I'll look more into this then.

Back