Marketing Job Cuts Expected To Hit Microsoft?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, first AMD laid off tons of people in its marketing department, now Microsoft is said to be making big cuts? Umm, if you work in the marketing department at a major tech company, I'd dust off the ol' resume if I were you. :eek:

I’ve been hearing the same thing that Dina Bass of Bloomberg has — that Microsoft is planning to make headcount cuts, largely affecting its marketing organization some time soon. Bass reported on January 11 that Microsoft is “making plans for a companywide restructuring of its marketing operations, a move that may include hundreds of job cuts.”

Considering how weak Microsoft's marketing is particularly in the consumer space outside of the XBox this probably has more to with performance than the bottom line.

Great good news for me...

I am graduating from college in about 4 months and will be looking for an IT job in the Seattle/Bellevue area. Cuts dont sound good.

Great good news for me...

I am graduating from college in about 4 months and will be looking for an IT job in the Seattle/Bellevue area. Cuts dont sound good.

I think you'll be fine, I really doubt Microsoft will be laying off many technical folks considering the belly full of work they have to do over the next few years with Windows 8 and the next version of the XBox and Windows Phone.

I think you'll be fine, I really doubt Microsoft will be laying off many technical folks considering the belly full of work they have to do over the next few years with Windows 8 and the next version of the XBox and Windows Phone.

Yeah obviously Microsoft isn't #1 on my list but I would accept a position there. Just looking for anything Business IT related. As my major is Business Administration with a specialization in Information Systems.

Yeah obviously Microsoft isn't #1 on my list but I would accept a position there. Just looking for anything Business IT related. As my major is Business Administration with a specialization in Information Systems.

Without an MBA or a solid work experience MS will never consider your resume.Are you graduating from an Ivy League school?Even then you need something on your resume.Have you had any internship with a tech company while in school?If you looking for jobs in WA state try HP or Amazon ..build a good resume there and jump to MS

Without an MBA or a solid work experience MS will never consider your resume.Are you graduating from an Ivy League school?Even then you need something on your resume.Have you had any internship with a tech company while in school?If you looking for jobs in WA state try HP or Amazon ..build a good resume there and jump to MS

I'm guessing he's probably attending UW, being in Seattle? If so, I know at least one or two guys who got jobs at Microsoft shortly after college. Not sure if they did internships or what, but it's possible.

^if your looking for a job there plenty of work outside the big huge corporations. Landing a job at a decent sized local business or institution administrating and supporting systems is always a good bet. Its usually less stressful as well.

I'm guessing he's probably attending UW, being in Seattle? If so, I know at least one or two guys who got jobs at Microsoft shortly after college. Not sure if they did internships or what, but it's possible.

WSU actually. Go Cougs!

I'm aware M$ mainly hires ivy league college grads and I would prefer a job at a different company. Just view this news as things might not be so great in Bellevue

Considering how weak Microsoft's marketing is particularly in the consumer space outside of the XBox this probably has more to with performance than the bottom line.
Actually its one of the best moves MS made in years, Microsoft's marketing is not only weak in the most important cases its even counterproductive!

Apple had less then half MS budget, but wiped every time the floor with them!

For Vista, there most important product after XP they could not think of anything better then this? :eek:

And even now, they still have not learned to make a advertizing clip better then this. :confused:

Think, actualy not advertizing is better for MS then wasting money on the anti-commercials they deliverer up to now!

WSU actually. Go Cougs!

I'm aware M$ mainly hires ivy league college grads and I would prefer a job at a different company. Just view this news as things might not be so great in Bellevue

Ahh...Wazzu? Damn Cougs! ;)

After seeing next to nothing from both companies in the advertising space, I'm inclined to ask "What marketing departments"?

After seeing next to nothing from both companies in the advertising space, I'm inclined to ask "What marketing departments"?

In the consumer space Microsoft's marketing is weak but its a much different story in the enterprise.

Ah, that would then be the "bribe and beg inititive". :) Still no marketing.

And if you think that Microsoft is the only company that does this in the business world, well... But let's be honest, it's about the bottom line, if you can't show hard numbers about how you product is not only cheaper but ads to the company's bottom line, you've got nothing and that's why going against the status quo in the business world is tough. If all you can offer is break even or save just a few bucks, so what? Compared to massive disruption it just ain't worth it.

Back