Homeland Security Watches Twitter, Social Media

HardOCP News

[H] News
You should be careful what you tweet, who you friend on Facebook or what you say online because the Department of Homeland Security might be watching you. Anyone seen my tinfoil hat? I can't remember where I put it. :eek:

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's command center routinely monitors dozens of popular websites, including Facebook, Twitter, Hulu, WikiLeaks and news and gossip sites including the Huffington Post and Drudge Report, according to a government document.

Not a surprise anymore. Now I would question how well they are doing their if they were not doing such monitoring.

Homeland Security even watches World of Warcraft, and freely monitors phones. To say they watch social networks is not something totally unexpected. Bob who lives in his basement can watch just about any Facebook profile within the comfort of his own home. So why would the government be an exception?

And it'll only get worse - no matter who we put into Washington. People just don't care anymore.

This is where 3 dozen people say "duh." You should have no doubts they monitor your emails, phone calls, and gps movements either.

You can pretty safely assume they are passively collecting any data they can on everyone's habits, movements, conversations, etc. I really dislike those traffic cams and such too.

It is not surprising. Half of me thinks they are the ones behind these sites to make sure everyone is connected and handing them over information way too easy lol.

Those tinfoil hat types are slowly becoming pretty accurate. This doesn't surprise me, but I do find our government a tad draconian these days. A government that spies so much on its people is actively afraid of those people. Maybe if they weren't the collection of f-ups, they wouldn't need all this.

I hate to say it, but the path were on (Patriot Act, SOPA, NDAA, etc) is more likely to homegrow terrorists than anything else.

And no, I'm not one of them. Please don't burninate my house.

I have to say that comparing to the Stasi or KGB back in the Cold War, modern day intelligence agencies have it pretty easy in building up a dossier and have that made available when needed.

The shocker here would be how that people ought to think about what they post online; anonymity does not exist. Having said that, I'd seriously be questioning whether or not if the US Department of Homeland Security are doing enough to safeguard their intelligence, since it gets pretty bad should the said agency sell their works to the highest bidder.

Whys HULU on the list, so they can create a persona out of what you watch.

They can watch all they want. There are ways to get around their snooping IF you were an actual bad person (terrorist).
Example: Use pig Latin in your typing and mix it with a local dialect . "I moua a big thou thou peh lou Hilton how kalifonia"

Note: I don't condone being said bad person, just that you'd be stupid to get caught.

Back