Corsair Announces New Additions To Its Case Lineup

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair, a worldwide designer and supplier of high-performance components to the PC gaming hardware market, today announced the builder-friendly Obsidian Series® 550D ultra-quiet premium case and the compact Carbide Series™ 300R gaming case.

The Obsidian Series 550D, Carbide Series 300R, and the complete line of Corsair products are on display at the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas from January 10th to 13th. The Corsair Booth is at Veronese Hall #2405 at the Venetian Congress Center and is open to all registered 2012 CES attendees. Analysts and members of the press are strongly encouraged to contact Corsair in advance to set up a private meeting and product demonstration.

I'm loving the 550D as an upgrade from my Mini P180...... that is one sweet looking case.

That 550D looks great. If they'd released it two weeks ago I might have one of those rather than by brand new FT-02. Can't say I'm sad though, I'd been lusting after an FT-02 since it came out.

Really like the look of the 550D. I need them to up-size it though. Make that bad boy the 800D.

I'm a big fan of the 550D so far. Very looking forward to seeing some reviews as well as a solid release date. i was planning on getting a Fractal Design Define R3 but this might be worth waiting for.

I am happy to see more cases from Corsair, but disappointed they are still using cheap stamped drive cages in the obsidian line-up. I have one bottom mounted in the middle of a 650D and it rattles all the time. I've been meaning to coat it with spray on rubber or tack weld some stiffening ribs to it. Perhaps they don't make noise when bolted to the front like the photo.

Look very nice, but you'll *never* find a memory card reader to match that finish...

[Also: who on Earth decided on those case-corner intake grilles on the first one? Those are going to be *impossible* to put air filters on!]

Seriously, where the heck is Fractal Designs? No one really has interesting cases this year in my opinion, Silverstone is leading the pack on "good" new cases, but not by much...

Both sexy, the 550D looks awesome. If I didn't have this damn watercooling and E-ATX board I would swap out my 800D as this thing is just massive with my outdated components and I don't plan on building another tri-fire/watercooled rig anytime soon.

Really like the look of the 550D. I need them to up-size it though. Make that bad boy the 800D.

yup, first thing i thought of when i saw this case: Can they make a 'quiet' version of the 800d please!?!?!!!!

EDIT: i meant to say taht they need a fullsize version of this 'quiet' case :)

Look very nice, but you'll *never* find a memory card reader to match that finish...

[Also: who on Earth decided on those case-corner intake grilles on the first one? Those are going to be *impossible* to put air filters on!]

No worries, air filters are included on those already.

I was thinking about getting a 650D and silencing it. I'd like to mod a slanted rear exhaust and close the top. The 550D looks like a big step in that direction. Can't wait to see a video showing the configuration of the removeable filters.

Corsair now has videos :)

Obsidian 550D Quiet Case - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8eA7RR5q30
Carbide 300R Compact - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEAfqJVRyA

I'm really happy to see the angled front panel, although I hate doors, it'd be nice to have a slide-off lower panel with sound-deadening material. On the positive side, with a full door it looks like you could mod a 5.25 drive bay fan with angled air intakes with a little work if you wanted to. I like the fancy side door handles on the 650D much better, but the push button's not a deal breaker either.

Edit2: Mostly I'd like to see a shroud accessory kit for a slanted rear exhaust like the Define XL, even if you had to cut the rear of the case yourself, or slanted V-shaped vents on top along with a mesh cover for a cleaner look <<<<. Could make the slanted vents drop-in or removeable for P/P 240mm radiator setups, like the Carbide and Graphite series :)

Last edited:
550D looks really good for the price, but the extra $50 just go with the 650D IMO

the 650d doesnt have the sound dampening, does it? or the extra front door & dampening?

... and this is emminently more customizable, with the removable filter covers, not to mention it comes with the super user friendly magnetic filters.

This case seems like it's full of win. Waiting on reviews, the wife's antec p18x is a PITA to work on.

Where in the hell is that portal style white and black large 800d case?

all there white and black cases are the wimpy smaller ones.

They only need to make an Obsidian M-atx case now that is something i am looking forward to

They only need to make an Obsidian M-atx case now that is something i am looking forward to

Im with you on that, I really like the corsair cases but I stopped building huge systems long time ago.

I only need 1 video card, 1 SSD and 1 hdd. I have no use for a massive case.

Im with you on that, I really like the corsair cases but I stopped building huge systems long time ago.

I only need 1 video card, 1 SSD and 1 hdd. I have no use for a massive case.

I'm in agreement here. I stuck with my p180mini for years b/c I was just tired of full sized towers. I had a Silverstone tj09 before that but the thing was just massive. I would have been interested in the 550 but just bought a case about a week ago. Lian-Li Lancool first knight. Smaller mid size and I'm liking it so far.

Rest assured, for those of you who want full towers, and those of you looking at small form factors, we're reading all your posts and keeping track of the features you like.

Rest assured, for those of you who want full towers, and those of you looking at small form factors, we're reading all your posts and keeping track of the features you like.

Hey Redbeard, glad you are taking our suggestions. I think what is missing is Fan controllers either it's a rheostat type (knob) or with a three way switch in a majority of the cases. I agree with others is what's missing from this Corsair case line up is Micro or ITX cases.

I think all I'd ask for is 4 USB 3 ports on the front and a better lock mechanism on the plate that covers the hard drive PCB strip. Mine works and is in place but it can pop off too easily. I don't know about the noise issues. Mine seems to be very quiet. Haven't heard any rattles from it.

Please come out with an mATX case with a generous amount of internal HDD bays, similar to the Fractal Design mini lineup. I'm thinking of rebuilding my HTPC (currently in a Silverstone Sugo SG-02) into a mATX case with more HDD bays.

When is general availability expected? I'm really liking the 300R and I have some newegg vouchers to use by February!

Well, since you're listening:

1. Definitely would like to see a MATX version of the 550D, along the lines of the Define Mini. I don't care for the look of the front ports though; maybe put them on top like Fractal does it or at least have the insert body-colored.

2. Mini-ITX case - something like the SG05, flipped on its side, slightly narrower and tall enough for a 5.25" bay on top, room for a 120mm watercooler up front. Do it with the same clean style as the 550D (but again, do something about the ports) and you've got a winner.

I can see Corsair making a larger 550D (750D) and a mini 650D.
As for anything mATX, airflow is of the utmost importance.

As for me, let me know when the 800D is replaced with another enthusiast case with great airflow and dual loop capacity.
But more than anything, I would like to see Corsair add a few curves to their design. The 4 corner rectangle gets a bit boring at times.

Last edited:
Liking the 550D. The fact that you can keep the cover over the god awful looking Fan Holes is very nice.

WorldExclusive, the 400R was the first curve they've done I believe.

Our second case, the 600T, launched in August of 2010, has almost no straight edges.

Pretty curvy, if you ask me.

The 600T in white is a nice case. Now that the Cosmos II made it's return, it would be nice to see a curvy high end Corsair case without the plastic.
The FT02 is a good example, not the same interior layout but the same rounded edges.

Whatever the next case is, mATX or XL-ATX, add a few curves. If Corsair uses aluminum it would look great.
Black plastic will only cheapen the case. My next case will definitly have a curved, irregular design made of aluminum.

Last edited:
I went from a Cosmos S to a TT L10 GT because I like the flexibility of large cases.

However, I am reconsidering and thinking of going small - I think an mATX case that lets 2 high end cards really breathe would be interesting. Add a little space (like 5 slots instead of 4).

Another thing that I have yet to see is a mITX case with room for a 3 slot video card. Triple slot coolers are the best way to go powerful and silent but most small cases just won't handle them.

If corsair were to do an mATX case, and I absolutely wish you would, I want to see one that has at most two 5.25" drive bays, lots of 3.25" HDD bays, and enough room to comfortably fit a 750W module PSU and long graphics cards inside. The back panel also need plenty of room for easy cable routing. But the whole thing needs to be small enough to be easy to carry to LAN parties.

In short, I think I've asked for a Corsair branded unicorn.

Back