1200 Core
1600 RAM
1.187 volts

Type Card
2x XFX Black Edition DD

Overclock Tool
Sapphire TRIXX

Stability Test
All games running stable with no artifacts.

Last edited:
Sapphire

Core: 1075
Memory: 1575
Stock Volts

Furmark 78c

BF3, Diablo III, Skyrim, Heaven, all seem to be alright.

At 1100 Core I had a crash in BF3 and Heaven, the driver crashed but the computer didn't hard lock and I never saw any artifacts. I might try to raise the voltage some but a bit hesitant till more people report.

Last edited:
Results
1125 Core
1575 Memory
Stock Volts

Type of Card
2 Sapphire 7970's

Overclock Tool
Overdrive

Stability Test
BF3
Deus Ex
3D Mark 11
Furmark

Please place your stable overclock results in this thread with format below:

Results
1200 Core
1600 RAM
Stock Volts

Type Card
2x XFX Black Edition DD

Overclock Tool
Sapphire TRIXX

Stability Test
All games running stable with no artifacts.

What kind of temps are you getting during gaming at these speeds?
My DD BE is still in its box so I haven't had a chance to test it, but wondering what sort of temps I'll see with this cooler.

Thanks.

Results
1125 Core
Stock Volts

Just used overdrive and maxed the slider :\ worked fine on my Sapphire :D
All my games have run well with no artifacts.

1125 core
1575 ram
1.17v

Sapphire brand card (reference)

CCC set to max on both core/mem and +20%

75c under load

Skyrim only so far

Last edited:
1175 Core
1650 Ram
Stock Voltage

Sapphire Brand

70C under load.

Various games w/ no artifacts.

After 20 min of furmark @ 2560x1600, 1125, 1575 my top card was showing 81 and bottom 79. Must... have.. liquid... blocks..!!!

2x Sapphire

Looks like sapphire is doing ok so far. i've got one coming in tomorrow and plan on maxing the sliders out immediately without changing the voltage and see what happens.

Has anyone tried Sapphire TriXX yet? Still waiting for my 7970 to show up, it's out for delivery.

1100 / 1650

Sapphire HD 7970.

Tested on 3dMark11, Vantage, Heaven 2.5, and hours of Battlefield 3.

Has anyone tried Sapphire TriXX yet? Still waiting for my 7970 to show up, it's out for delivery.

That's what i'm using now. Works great.

1125/1575 max CCC.
Stock volts.
Sapphire.
tested in various games, vantage,

Note: CS: Source (other hl2 engines affected?) does not work in windows XP...BSOD about 10 seconds after joining a server. No problem in W7.

1125/1575 max CCC.
Stock volts.
Sapphire.
tested in various games, vantage,

Note: CS: Source (other hl2 engines affected?) does not work in windows XP...BSOD about 10 seconds after joining a server. No problem in W7.

Nice oc stock.

And eww to xp.

1075 / 1500 Sapphire too, and I get into the 90s, def a cooling issue going to rip it apart tonight.

Let me know how it goes, I only have AS5 so I'd have to order some good stuff because I'm not using AS5 on this 7970.

Let me know how it goes, I only have AS5 so I'd have to order some good stuff because I'm not using AS5 on this 7970.

why not :)? I use ceramique on pretty much everything, never been a problem.

on that note that crappy company Arctic cooling is releasing a 7970 hs @ the end of January. What would be better to use over Ceramique? I could always hit the comp store first.

why not :)? I use ceramique on pretty much everything, never been a problem.

on that note that crappy company Arctic cooling is releasing a 7970 hs @ the end of January. What would be better to use over Ceramique? I could always hit the comp store first.

I might, but if I was going to do it I was going to use the best stuff availible. Let us know if it helps get you to 1125 stable along with temps. :)

Got my Sapphire at 1125/1575 through CCC stock volts.

Load temp is only about 72 C @ 40% fan speed (auto) during BF3, Hard Reset, Crysis, and Dota 2.

My ambient is around 60 F or lower though and my case is open air.

Right when I installed my card I turned it up to 1000mhz and it's stable. I think i'll have time this weekend to play with it more. I'm just waiting for some waterblocks to be released and then that is when the real fun starts.

Sapphire
"Power control settings" + 20% but I don't think this is effecting much
Temp ~62c

Skyrim at 5760x1080

Anything higher causes the game to crash to desktop. No bsods at all. Going to try to up the voltage and see if I can get more out of it

looks like a lot of sapphire couldn't even pass 1200 barrier...

I have mine stuck at 1170 / 1500 on max voltage to make it stable...

But it seems my card is a defected card so far...need a bit more testing before I RMA due to random BSOD...

Sapphire
"Power control settings" + 20% but I don't think this is effecting much
Temp ~62c

Skyrim at 5760x1080

Anything higher causes the game to crash to desktop. No bsods at all. Going to try to up the voltage and see if I can get more out of it

Keep us up to date on the voltage increases and results :D

But it seems my card is a defected card so far...need a bit more testing before I RMA due to random BSOD...

Mine could but i wanted stock volts so i'll be happy with 1175/1600 with stock volts.

Mine could hit 1225/1625 with a bump to 1.9v

Keep us up to date on the voltage increases and results :D

So far, not very good results.

Bumped up the voltage to 1.2 and was able to get it stable at 1175mhz/1575. Once I bumped the core to 1200mhz, I could not get it stable at all even up to 1.3v. At 1200mhz I had hard black screen system crashes. I did leave the fan on auto, so it could possibly be a temp problem because it got less and less stable as I slowly increased the voltage. I might consider trying this out again after lunch with increased fan speed

Bumped up the voltage to 1.2 and was able to get it stable at 1175mhz/1575. Once I bumped the core to 1200mhz, I could not get it stable at all even up to 1.3v. At 1200mhz I had hard black screen system crashes. I did leave the fan on auto, so it could possibly be a temp problem because it got less and less stable as I slowly increased the voltage. I might consider trying this out again after lunch with increased fan speed

yeah... heat is your enemy. I bet you'll get 1200 with your fan set to something higher than auto:) Soooo wish I had one of these to play with :-(

Lol why own a 7970 if your running windows XP!

Perhaps you didn't read all of my post?
I dual boot.
I have my reasons for needing to run XP.
AVA in windows 7 is unplayable thanks to a conflict with what seems like gameguard and kaspersky 2011, causing lag, and other programs to hang mysteriously and be unable to terminate...(once AVA is launched and gameguard loads).

Yet under the same config in XP, no problems at all in AVA...

Shouldn't auto increase the fan speed regardless based on temp? I set mine to 100% for shits and giggles and it was insane.

BSOD at stock clocks?

Shouldn't auto increase the fan speed regardless based on temp? I set mine to 100% for shits and giggles and it was insane.

I don't have a 7970, but with the AMD/ATi cards I've had I think most of the time the "auto" fan speed never ramps up much above 42% or something like that.

I don't have a 7970, but with the AMD/ATi cards I've had I think most of the time the "auto" fan speed never ramps up much above 42% or something like that.

Well then if that's the case I should probably setup a fan profile in Afterburner. Wife is home so I gotta stay out here with the family, have to wait till tonight to play with it. I had my MSI 6970 Lightning setup fairly quiet.

could be vendor specific, my card hit 100% fanspeed(jumped from 63%) @ 96 deg c last night in furmark.

Sapphire 1125 / 1600

Only played bf3 64 player for about an hour, no artifacts or crashing.

Still need to run benchmarks and check the temps, but when I would quit bf3 I checked and immediately it was at like 76C so, we will see.

oh and ambient sits 29c idle, and GPU is at 55c idle.

Last edited:
could be vendor specific, my card hit 100% fanspeed(jumped from 63%) @ 96 deg c last night in furmark.

Wow- thats toasty... haven't seen a single place where anyone hit those types of temps with a 7970 yet... I guess it may get that high if your temps go that high, but I think in most situations unless you are hitting those types of temps fan speed won't go that high. May well be vendor specific though.

Wow- thats toasty... haven't seen a single place where anyone hit those types of temps with a 7970 yet... I guess it may get that high if your temps go that high, but I think in most situations unless you are hitting those types of temps fan speed won't go that high. May well be vendor specific though.

I'm 99% sure that card has the TIM issue, I might swap it for another card or just replace the TiM myself and see how that goes, I don't feel like voiding my warranty out of laziness though. :p

Back