Don't Buy Into Expensive ID Theft Protection Services

HardOCP News

[H] News
Consumer Reports says that you should be leery of expensive ID theft protection services because they aren't all they are cracked up to be. No worries if you are one of those people (using an expensive service), CR does offer some alternative strategies to keep your identity safe.

ID theft protection services can cost from $120 to $300 a year, and are supposed to monitor your credit reports around the clock, scouring "black-market chat rooms" for your personal information, removing your name from marketing lists, and filing fraud alerts. But the value you get for what you pay is questionable, says CRMA.

I use Farmer's Insurance for that. It's only ~$65/month, and I have seen value in it, as they send me quarterly statements on activity, and have sent me alerts on certain activity. They were a LOT better than any of their competitors.

Unless he's Bill Gates or something, I hope he meant $65/year, not month. That's some serious cash for ID theft protection/insurance.

I just routinely get credit reports throughout the year. I get 3 - 5 free reports online per year and 2 free via snail mail.

I use Farmer's Insurance for that. It's only ~$65/month, and I have seen value in it, as they send me quarterly statements on activity, and have sent me alerts on certain activity. They were a LOT better than any of their competitors.

$65/month!?

That's $780/year. Guess if you can afford that, you must have alot more money to protect than me.

$65/month. That's a lot of money. I offer the same thing for the low low price of $19.99 per month.
Here's what I need from you in order for my service to monitor your account activities:
1. Full legal name
2. Address
3. SSN
4. DOB
5. Mother's maiden name
6. All you bank/investment accounts and their passwords

Please send this information to [email protected]

$65/month. That's a lot of money. I offer the same thing for the low low price of $19.99 per month.
Here's what I need from you in order for my service to monitor your account activities:
1. Full legal name
2. Address
3. SSN
4. DOB
5. Mother's maiden name
6. All you bank/investment accounts and their passwords

Please send this information to [email protected]

Come on, you can do better: :p

7. Up front 6-month payment.

Back