Microsoft Working on Star Wars-Like Holographic Tech

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft Research departments are quietly working on many projects in the background that may one day rock the technology world once they are perfected. One such project is called Vermeer, which can project a 3D image without special glasses to see and will react to being ‘touched’.

this video is ridiculous, the words fly by way too fast. Can't read sentences in .00001 seconds....

I remember playing an old fmv 3d arcade game that featured a time traveling cowboy that was cooler(at least that's how i remember it)

heh, and people laughed at me when I said that Microsoft can compete with Apple without cloning them.

Its still an optical illusion, I want real projected 3D holograms like you see in SCIFI movies. Perhaps in my lifetime, we will see.

Reminds me of the very first TV's, where you looked through a scope at them.

Not impressed.

I remember playing an old fmv 3d arcade game that featured a time traveling cowboy that was cooler(at least that's how i remember it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Traveler_(video_game)

Traveler_screenshot.jpg

droids aren't known to pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose....

just sayin...

Its still an optical illusion, I want real projected 3D holograms like you see in SCIFI movies. Perhaps in my lifetime, we will see.

Thats one tough order to fill. For now I will accept this technology, since it seems to have a lot of room to expand. Still closer then steoscopic 3D (which sucks...).

heh, and people laughed at me when I said that Microsoft can compete with Apple without cloning them.

Just wait. Apple will steal their idea and claim it as their own, patent it, and then make MS license it. They will also call it magical as well.

They have had 3d encasements like this for years... I remember seeing them when i was a kid, granted they were a single photo or frame and not full motion... I wouldn't call this 'new' by any means

Back