All Major Labels Are Suing Grooveshark

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's official, Grooveshark is now being sued by everyone. There for a while, the company was only being sued by three quarters of the major labels in the recording industry, this latest lawsuit now makes it 100%.

Grooveshark, a popular digital music service that is being sued for copyright infringement by three of the four major record companies, now has problems with the one big label that it has a licensing deal with.

It's great basically the same as Spotify, however the legal side of the company I am unsure of.

I like it better then Spotify though since it all runs nicely in your web browser without you having to even make an account, instead of Spotify which you have to download and application, make an account and they even force you to attach your Facebook to account.

I thought eventually some shit would go down. When I first used it over a year ago or so, I thought how is this legal??

Yeah, can't imagine grooveshark makes it through this. It's my favorite music app/station, pandora doesn't have shit on it and spotify doesn't have any songs - grooveshark has everything :D And, you can share playlists.

Well that sucks..I actually use Grooveshark. I hate Pandora as it frankly just is a massive pita to use and spotify forces you to have a facebook account which isn't gonna happen for me ever.

Oh well..I guess I will go back to not listening to music except in the car.

I've been using Grooveshark on my iPhone for a year now.

It's horribly buggy, but it's the best app for listening to music on iOS.

Grooveshark is great!

Youtube is a #2 choice for me (my work doesn't block it), but it's become harder and harder to find the original version of a song and not the million idiotic covers, and mash-ups and remixes.

Records repeating the Napster mistake allover again. These dinosaurs never learn.

This makes me glad I got in on Spotify before they started using that silly Facebook stuff.

Love this service, but it was only a matter of time...

I thought eventually some shit would go down. When I first used it over a year ago or so, I thought how is this legal??

Yeah, can't imagine grooveshark makes it through this. It's my favorite music app/station, pandora doesn't have shit on it and spotify doesn't have any songs - grooveshark has everything :D And, you can share playlists.

Everything you guys said, I was going to say. So yea what they said. no innuendo...

You can really make playlists of artists' entire albums.

i've never heard of grooveshark until now.

i just checked it out, and they have some nice independent shit on there.

i wonder how many pirates know about sites like grooveshark

I believe the original Grooveshark worked by scraping MP3s from blogs and other open web sources. There were never any checks to see if they were legally posted. If the MP3 would show up in a Google search, it would usually be in Grooveshark too. They probably could have kept going too if they hadn't decided to start charging for premium services to use content they didn't own in the first place.

it's really easy to pirate songs from Grooveshark, when you load up a song, it downloads the entire mp3 into a temp folder and you just copy it from there and then use a tool to rename it with the ID tag that is embedded.
My brother showed it to me last year and thought it was pretty nifty, but I've never used Grooveshark personally.

I believe the original Grooveshark worked by scraping MP3s from blogs and other open web sources. There were never any checks to see if they were legally posted. If the MP3 would show up in a Google search, it would usually be in Grooveshark too. They probably could have kept going too if they hadn't decided to start charging for premium services to use content they didn't own in the first place.

I remember project playlist worked that way.

It's great basically the same as Spotify, however the legal side of the company I am unsure of.

I like it better then Spotify though since it all runs nicely in your web browser without you having to even make an account, instead of Spotify which you have to download and application, make an account and they even force you to attach your Facebook to account.

No they don't. I've got spotify and my FB account is connected to it.

just started using grooveshark, its pretty kick ass.

Maybe I'm grandfathered in (signed up in the first week for the US), and for a few weeks I had Spotify linked to Facebook, but they have an option to disconnect it; I used that and it just shows my username, not Facebook profile and other junk.

Back