Real World WipeOut Game Uses Controlled Quantum Levitation

Bah, back in my day we called that F-Zero. </disgruntled old fart, apparently>

Also, the vehicles in F-Zero didn't float as high as the ones in Wipeout so from a purely visual standpoint Wipeout makes more sense for this.

It's fake. Check 0:40 and passed, the track (far right to edge of table) moves differently than the table when the camera moves.

It's fake. Check 0:40 and passed, the track (far right to edge of table) moves differently than the table when the camera moves.

Also if you start the video around 1:12, you can see smoke through the track.

The only thing that seems fake about it is controlling the movement of the car. The rest of it is really no different from that one video about quantum levitation awhile back. This is just more elaborate.

Plus I don't think there is such a place as the Japan Institute of Science and Technology. Only Japan Advanced Institute of Science (JAIST) and Technology and Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST).

Damn pressed enter! And it's (C) Copyright! All rights reserved belong to Sony Entertainment and SCE Studio Liverpool. :p

Someone tell me how this is 'quantum' vs super conducting mag-lev? Same principle...different medium. Does the medium matter for what it's called?

Assuming this video is authentic that is...

Alright I'm on the 'fake' bandwagon. Starting at 1:13 you can clearly see the nitrogen fog from the yellow car clip through the track. What a waste...

Alright I'm on the 'fake' bandwagon. Starting at 1:13 you can clearly see the nitrogen fog from the yellow car clip through the track. What a waste...

they'll fix that with a patch on day 1. :D

At 'thumbnail' resolution, it looked fine. At HD, it looks to "clean". The sublimation 'steam' wouldn't wait until it was set down on the track to start, the steam looks too even, and there is no obvious method for propulsion or control. I was figuring it would be that the magnet each car is 'attached' to would be propelled conventionally through the track, but there are points where it's obvious they mean that it has a permanent magnet track like in prior maglev demos.

Summary: fake.

Very cool video, wish it was real, if they included the powerups.

Imagine having little Wipeout tracks outside and having races people could bet on?

Awesomeness :)

dont normally get a chub on this type of nerd crap, but that was effin seriously cool.

Back