Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to "an observer" of the court proceedings, there has been a settlement in the ongoing Bethesda v. Interplay lawsuit. No word on whether this is a cash settlement, a Fallout MMORPG coming soon or both.

A settlement in the ongoing legal dispute between Bethesda Softworks and Interplay over Interplay's rights to make a Fallout MMORPG after selling the rights to the RPG series to Bethesda. This comes by way of an observer at the court proceedings, and while they have no word on the actual outcome, they say details on the settlement are expected at some point this month.

Hmmmm my guess is Beth is gonna pony up some more $ to buy the rights to the MMO and end this sad tale.

Cant see Interplay letting this go without some serious $.

I heard about this a few days ago. The way the case proceedings were mentioned in the legal documents, it sounded like there was a cash settlement, and the amount likely won't be disclosed.

I honestly hope Interplay kept the rights for making an MMO, even if I'd never play it.

What I hope to see more is an announcement that Obsidian is making another FO title for bethsoft. :p

I heard about this a few days ago. The way the case proceedings were mentioned in the legal documents, it sounded like there was a cash settlement, and the amount likely won't be disclosed.

I honestly hope Interplay kept the rights for making an MMO, even if I'd never play it.

What I hope to see more is an announcement that Obsidian is making another FO title for bethsoft. :p

New Vegas was BORING AS FUCK. I couldnt stop playing FO3, i put New Vegas down after 15 hours. THe FO3 storyline and DLC was 1000 times better.

New Vegas was BORING AS FUCK. I couldnt stop playing FO3, i put New Vegas down after 15 hours. THe FO3 storyline and DLC was 1000 times better.

Quit exaggerating, it's only 883 times better.

(PS - Give New Vegas another chance--it's a superior game.)

Hmmm I always thought there was more to do in NV. The FO3 map is bigger but it seems like there is just more to do in NV then Fo3. I guess the logical thing to do would be to compare the number if side/unmarked quests of the two off the wiki pages.

Quit exaggerating, it's only 883 times better.

(PS - Give New Vegas another chance--it's a superior game.)

I liked FO3 better, but still enjoyed NV almost just as much.

With that said, I hope Bethesda has the full rights to the series now. Their game is superior in every way to Interplay's.

No, your opnions are invalid. Obsidian simply makes better RPG's.

Now that we are on the same page, we PARTY DISCO!!

I agree also, FO3 was amazing to to play, i loved the story line more than anything...VEGAS didn't suck me in and i gave up...

Hopefully good news for the future of FallOut either way, next one better have multiplayer!

Hmmm I always thought there was more to do in NV. The FO3 map is bigger but it seems like there is just more to do in NV then Fo3. I guess the logical thing to do would be to compare the number if side/unmarked quests of the two off the wiki pages.

More to do doesn't necessarily equate to a better experience. NV just feels like a more mature version of Fallout 3--subjective, of course.

Fallout: MMO - Meh.. I'd rather have Fallout: Co-op

now if only the Harmony Gold / FASA / Battletech / Mechwarrior silliness could be settled, we'd have another good game.....or the apocalyse, i always forget which.

While I didn't enjoy the game Bethesda put out (all their titles strike me as pretty generic imaginations and nothing special), I do hope Interplay DOESN'T get to make another FO game. All the original guys that worked on FO1+2 (which were fantastic if you can appreciate the play style) left long ago. Especially after they shelved Black Isle's Fallout 3 in favor of the massive pile that was FO:BOS on consoles. I imagine the only thing Interplay could come up with is garbage, they don't have the staff or the resources anymore

Actually, I hope not...or at least dump that broken PoS Gamebryo engine. There's still waaaay too many bugs left in the game (I'm playing both the 360 and PC version), such as the game completely freezing requiring me to restart my 360. Obsidian seemed real quick to just dump DLC and be done with this game. As J.E. Sawyers stated, no one is working on this game anymore event though there are still some potential gamebreaking bugs in the game (look on Fallout Wikia for a list of bugs still in the game...at least ones found by players). Also, the main storyline in F:NV seems a bit shallow. It pans out too quickly, relying on side missions to break it up. It just seems they could have done so much more with the game.

As to whether there will be no more patching is the fault of Obsidian or BethSoft remains to be seen. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it was, in fact, BethSoft since they have done that before, with them basically telling Mad Doc Software that they won't bother dealing with patches for Star Trek: Legacy (even though Mad Doc had one more ready for QA testing and eventual release).

It's nice to see that at least some of the former Black Isle guys at Obsidian working on F:NV, and even a few guys from Black Isle are working with Interplay/Masthead on the Fallout MMO.

I agree also, FO3 was amazing to to play, i loved the story line more than anything...VEGAS didn't suck me in and i gave up...

Hopefully good news for the future of FallOut either way, next one better have multiplayer!

FO3's story was complete trash. Poorly written trash too. Some of the side stories were interesting and well done and the world was mostly well crafted, but the main story was nothing more than something you'd see in a generic shooter.

Actually, I hope not...or at least dump that broken PoS Gamebryo engine. There's still waaaay too many bugs left in the game (I'm playing both the 360 and PC version), such as the game completely freezing requiring me to restart my 360. Obsidian seemed real quick to just dump DLC and be done with this game. As J.E. Sawyers stated, no one is working on this game anymore event though there are still some potential gamebreaking bugs in the game (look on Fallout Wikia for a list of bugs still in the game...at least ones found by players). Also, the main storyline in F:NV seems a bit shallow. It pans out too quickly, relying on side missions to break it up. It just seems they could have done so much more with the game.

As to whether there will be no more patching is the fault of Obsidian or BethSoft remains to be seen. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it was, in fact, BethSoft since they have done that before, with them basically telling Mad Doc Software that they won't bother dealing with patches for Star Trek: Legacy (even though Mad Doc had one more ready for QA testing and eventual release).

It's nice to see that at least some of the former Black Isle guys at Obsidian working on F:NV, and even a few guys from Black Isle are working with Interplay/Masthead on the Fallout MMO.

Leagues more stable than FO3, even after a third playthrough. The main storyline is more about the factions than you, which was refreshing. There was a lot of moral greay area choice and consequence. Most of the writing was also way ahead of what Bethesda ever writes.

Not like I dislike Interplay or anything, but this is one that I'm in Bethesda's corner over.

Bethesda has the cash to make a Fallout MMO work. I can't say the same thing about Interplay.

Leagues more stable than FO3, even after a third playthrough. The main storyline is more about the factions than you, which was refreshing. There was a lot of moral greay area choice and consequence. Most of the writing was also way ahead of what Bethesda ever writes.

That's questionable about the stability, but everyone's situation is different. The expanded options that you have that can affect the outcome of the game is interesting, but ultimately seems a bit lacking leading up to entering The Strip.

I just wish that they'd quit cannibalizing Project Van Buren (Black Isle's Fallout 3) for elements of plot (they did so in both F3 and F:NV). If anything, Tactics and BoS storylines should be clarified as to how exactly they fit into the Fallout Universe (depending on one's point of view, those two could be considered only semi-canon) other than some mention of occurances (ED-E is a nice starting point for delving deeper based on ED-E's logs mentioning an outpost in Chicago, along with the license plate). Maybe visit the Midwest for the next Fallout game.

That's questionable about the stability, but everyone's situation is different. The expanded options that you have that can affect the outcome of the game is interesting, but ultimately seems a bit lacking leading up to entering The Strip.

I just wish that they'd quit cannibalizing Project Van Buren (Black Isle's Fallout 3) for elements of plot (they did so in both F3 and F:NV). If anything, Tactics and BoS storylines should be clarified as to how exactly they fit into the Fallout Universe (depending on one's point of view, those two could be considered only semi-canon) other than some mention of occurances (ED-E is a nice starting point for delving deeper based on ED-E's logs mentioning an outpost in Chicago, along with the license plate). Maybe visit the Midwest for the next Fallout game.

Likely the Commonwealth, meaning Massachusetts.

I liked FO3's setting slightly better, but NV was better in every other aspect by a longshot.

The only way I can see people picking FO3 over NV is:
a) you like the setting better.
b) FO3 was played until you get sick of fallout, then by that time you start the next fallout game the novelty of fallout had already worn off.

now if only the Harmony Gold / FASA / Battletech / Mechwarrior silliness could be settled, we'd have another good game.....or the apocalyse, i always forget which.

This game is coming out in the summer. Jordan Weisman and Piranha have fully licensed the rights to make a mechwarrior game. It will be out this summer.
http://mwomercs.com/

Also, where have you been? We have had Mechwarrior Living Legends for a while now and that runs on the Crysis Wars engine.
http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNqS...xt=C394b105UDOEgsToPDskK-gsN-Eg6ZLmltoaMb_9ep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEa3...xt=C394b105UDOEgsToPDskK-gsN-Eg6ZLmltoaMb_9ep

Back