Apple's Siri Curses Out 12-Year-Old

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Well, how rude. :eek: You knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, just looks like it came a bit sooner than expected: Someone will find a way to hack Siri changing the answers the voice recognition software will give to questioners. In this case, the rude and obscene reply happened to be a 12 year old boy. Siri, Siri, Siri…..get a grip. :D

"I thought I must be hearing things. So we asked again and the same four-letter stuff blared out."

It's Apple's way of saying ''Happy New Year!!!''. Am I right, or am I right? ;)

They are merely imagining things. Their uncouth upbringing made it inevitable that their vocabulary would be limited. In their efforts to cook up such a story, their word selection is sadly lacking. This is nothing more than pointless efforts to undermine a magnificent technology brought about by the shining beacon of progress, Apple Inc.

I love a good apple bashing article as much as the next guy but seriously.....

However, the staff at Tesco reportedly said that some amusing individual had entered this rather inelegant phrase as the user's name in the set-up instructions.

However, the staff at Tesco reportedly said that some amusing individual had entered this rather inelegant phrase as the user's name in the set-up instructions.
NEVER let the truth get in the way of a good Tabloid Rant!! :D

"News" is not about "truth". It is about "outrage" and the "won't you think of the children" angle.

I do hope this sets off a nice new trend. Next time you see a demo model of an iPhone, you know what to do....

The message to take from the story (plus the facts behind it), is that Siri isn't anything special, its not some powerful AI or something.

Voice recognition + hooks that link to several programs based on keywords. That's it.

It's not magical, it's not going to discover the cure to cancer, it's not going to babysit the kids for you. The only thing it is doing is allowing stupid people to do things they weren't intelligent enough to do with the already existing technology. It comes down to having to click 1 button now instead of 3-4 buttons.

"The iphone generation" = Have no fucking clue how it works, but it just does...and if it breaks, buy a new one.

The message to take from the story (plus the facts behind it), is that Siri isn't anything special, its not some powerful AI or something.

Voice recognition + hooks that link to several programs based on keywords. That's it.

It's not magical, it's not going to discover the cure to cancer, it's not going to babysit the kids for you. The only thing it is doing is allowing stupid people to do things they weren't intelligent enough to do with the already existing technology. It comes down to having to click 1 button now instead of 3-4 buttons.

"The iphone generation" = Have no fucking clue how it works, but it just does...and if it breaks, buy a new one.

"The Andriod Generation" = Have no fucking clue how it works, but thinks they do... and if it breaks, they have Mommy buy them a new one.

You're forgetting the mindset of most Apple buyers, its magical and cannot be hacked/receive any viruses.

So obviously this was the users fault :p

"The Andriod Generation" = Have no fucking clue how it works, but thinks they do... and if it breaks, they have Mommy buy them a new one.

I think you missed the point. It's not Apple hate, its the mentality they pass off, which is creeping into other areas of society. I can't count how many times a kid will ask online (in game, forums, chat rooms) some easily google'd question, and be "frustrated" that they can't find the answer. 99% of the world's knowledge at their fingertips and they can't help themselves to do the extreme effort of ALT+TAB, click google, type some keywords, click search.

p.s. another example, you spelled android wrong. Most browsers highlight spelling mistakes these days (squiggly red lines for Firefox). It's something that can be used as a crutch, or as a tool for getting better at spelling. Just saying.

I think you missed the point. It's not Apple hate, its the mentality they pass off, which is creeping into other areas of society. I can't count how many times a kid will ask online (in game, forums, chat rooms) some easily google'd question, and be "frustrated" that they can't find the answer. 99% of the world's knowledge at their fingertips and they can't help themselves to do the extreme effort of ALT+TAB, click google, type some keywords, click search.

p.s. another example, you spelled android wrong. Most browsers highlight spelling mistakes these days (squiggly red lines for Firefox). It's something that can be used as a crutch, or as a tool for getting better at spelling. Just saying.
u mad?

Oh yeah I forgot that all PC users can program, build computers and make voice recognition software like Siri without batting an eye. Thanks for reminding us of that. :rolleyes:

This story smacks of "fakety-fake-fake-fakery" they even have the lady holding a crusty old iPhone 3G for the picture. :rolleyes:

As to what Siri supposedly said?

"Shut the fuck up, you ugly twat!"

Really? How did they do that again? If they changed the user name (as the article insists) you could get an answer like "6.84B people live on planet earth...you ugly twat" But simply changing the name doesn't make Siri say "Shut the fuck up, you ugly twat!" to a question like "what's the population of the world.

She's holding an iPhone 3S or something in the huge picture above the article, hah.

Oh yeah I forgot that all PC users can program, build computers and make voice recognition software like Siri without batting an eye. Thanks for reminding us of that. :rolleyes:

So googling something is comparable to programming ?

Are you trying to prove my point ?

I don't really see why 12-yos need a $400 phone with an annual cost of $540 to go along with it.

I don't really see why 12-yos need a $400 phone with an annual cost of $540 to go along with it.

Our 12 year old has an Android phone. 12 isn't as immature as one might commonly think. She's very intelligent and cares for her phone as if she paid for it. She also has a 4th gen iPod Touch.

I'm sure there are quite a bit of irresponsible 12 year olds, but a blanket ban across their age group would be a little too shortsighted.

I'm sure Steve's kid has quite a few high tech material possessions as well and if I recall, he's a lot younger than our 12 year old.

Our 12 year old has an Android phone. 12 isn't as immature as one might commonly think.
I didn't really make the comment with maturity in mind but rather in terms of cost/benefit. In your case you probably didn't pay $400 for the Android phone.

I am of the opinion that far too many parents just give their kids whatever it is they are asking for just to shut them up so that the parents don't have to deal with them. Want a $400 iPhone? Great! Here it is, that way you'll be busy updating your status and playing mobile games and I don't need to spend my time to pay any attention to you. Win win!

I don't question that kids need phones and the benefit of kids having phones. I do question why so many parents throw thousands of dollars at their kids so that they can update their facebook status.

Teenagers do not NEED a cell phone, especially at school. I deal with this almost everyday and it always leads to negative interactions.

The line between a need and a want has become incredibly blurred.

Teenagers do not NEED a cell phone, especially at school. I deal with this almost everyday and it always leads to negative interactions.

The line between a need and a want has become incredibly blurred.

You're absolutely right. Why on earth would a person thats becoming increasingly independent from their parents with no idea what the fuck they are doing need a way to reach their parents or someone that can help them in a tough situation.

Oh the horror of having a means of communication with a child that isn't 100% independent.

I'm guessing you're a teacher. If you taught something interesting, kids wouldn't text in class. If they respected you, they wouldn't text in class.

smh

You're absolutely right. Why on earth would a person thats becoming increasingly independent from their parents with no idea what the fuck they are doing need a way to reach their parents or someone that can help them in a tough situation.

Oh the horror of having a means of communication with a child that isn't 100% independent.

I'm guessing you're a teacher. If you taught something interesting, kids wouldn't text in class. If they respected you, they wouldn't text in class.

smh

I know it may be hard for you to believe, but there was a time before cell phones existed and everything was alright.

Perhaps you could try to post without using ad hominems? or is that too much to ask.

Back