New 4P and new user here

rascal65

Limp Gawd
Don't know where else to post this so here goes, move or delete if needed.

I have been folding for years under a different name and teams, but thanks to this forum
I decided to upgrade and get super serious with this "hobby".:D

A little background. I started SETI many moons ago, so many that I have forgot what CPU but know it was an AMD @100Mhz. After a few years of that I discovered folding on the PS3, and FAH has now grown to the current batch of computers.

Newest is my supermicro 4p with 4 6166he, while not as fast as some on this forum I do as many points in 1 day as my total for first 4 years of folding.

Big Bertha specs: SM H8QG6-F, 4x 6166he, 32gb ddr3, OCZ 1250w gold PS, HAF 932 case.
I am using cheap oem Phenom II heatsinks for now but temps are 45c on warmest.

WU 6904 averages 25m 18s and WU 6903 averages 18m 37s. Power draw is 410w full load on 6904's. I'm happy with that.

I have an older H8QME-2 4-1207 socket running also, and will upgrade it this weekend to 24core @ 2.4ghz if I have time..

Also have a couple i7 2600k but one will be a backup.

I would like to put Big Bertha on this team if accepted.

Looks like were really building up some killer rigs in the past few weeks... Catching EVGA just may be do'able now

Welcome aboard, glad to have new members! Don't forget to stick around the forums, always something going on lol

edit
that's pushing near 830 ppd/watt!! Nice!
One quick question, how you running the ram and what speed/cas is it at? Sorry to ask but were a bunch of hardware junkies here, you'll get used to it lol

I would like to put Big Bertha on this team if accepted.

I'm sorry, but this strikes me as funny. There is no application process around here - if you have a PC and are willing, we would love to have you! With 48 cores of G34 goodness, you are especially welcome.

I have two 4p's running with those chips, and am a big fan of them - they are very possibly the most efficient processors out there. You are actually 30W under mine, so you are doing something right. I'd love to see some pics of your HSF mounts and the system in general if you get a chance.

Welcome aboard!

Edit: pop into irc some time. Bertha has a bit more in her if you are willing.

Welcome to the team! That 4P Socket F should do well! I have a 4P socket F loaded with 4 Opteron 8431's 24 cores @ 2.4Ghz which I will be upgrading to 48 cores very soon. It will do well if configured properly. I get about 84K PPD on SMP with the 4P, and estimate that it should do 175K PPD on 6903 when I can go dedicated.

I'm sorry, but this strikes me as funny. There is no application process around here - if you have a PC and are willing, we would love to have you! With 48 cores of G34 goodness, you are especially welcome.

I have two 4p's running with those chips, and am a big fan of them - they are very possibly the most efficient processors out there. You are actually 30W under mine, so you are doing something right. I'd love to see some pics of your HSF mounts and the system in general if you get a chance.

Welcome aboard!

Maybe we should have an application to join...

Queston 1 : Are you willing to enter '33' in the team number box?
If yes, welcome aboard!

Welcome to the fold.

We would have welcomed you with a q6600, but we are quite happy to have you with us deepening the ranks of 4P goodness.

Maybe we should have an application to join...

Queston 1 : Are you willing to enter '33' in the team number box?
If yes, welcome aboard!

Needs a second question:
Are you able to enter '33' in the team number box?

Welcome to the team, would love to see some pics. I'm a couple of months out from a 2p or 4p box and would love to see the mounting for your HSFs.

Welcome! You can only join if you enter Lorne45 as the user in your client on that 4p and let it run for 1 month :p

Needs a second question:
Are you able to enter '33' in the team number box?

If not, continue on to qestion #33 at the bottom (this form will have 33 questions with 30 of them having nothing to do with folding).

On second thought maybe they will.

If not, continue on to qestion #33 at the bottom (this form will have 33 questions with 30 of them having nothing to do with folding).

On second thought maybe they will.

Hehe.....

Do you like tamales?
Do you have access to large amounts of tamales? Pt B: Do you deliver?

WU 6904 averages 25m 18s and WU 6903 averages 18m 37s. Power draw is 410w full load on 6904's. I'm happy with that.

I'm looking at one of each of these now on my quad 6166HE rigs:

6904 - 23:35/frame
6903 - 16:56/frame

I think there is some tweaking to be done for you.

Thanks to all for the Welcome.
Answer #1: I may have to get my seeing-eye dog to get 33 in the correct spot.:p

I will try to get a few pictures of setup and heatsink mounting later today.
Everything is running stock.

I'm clueless on tweaking this thing, but willing to try.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Horde!

Nice to have you folding with us!

Most everyone here is quite pleasant and friendly. If you need anything just let us know.

Well I goofed, Forgot that I needed a new passkey for name and team switch.:eek:
Got a whole 31000 points for a 6904. Fixed the problem and running smp's now, WU 6975@ 55seconds. looks like I will crank out 10 units by tonight then go after bigadv.

Last edited:
Cool!

New name/team means a new passkey? That makes sense.

Well I goofed, Forgot that I needed a new passkey for name and team switch.:eek:
Got a whole 31000 points for a 6904. Fixed the problem and running smp's now, WU 6975@ 55seconds. looks like I will crank out 10 units by tonight then go after bigadv.

When you are ready to swallow the red pill and see how deep this rabbit hole goes, you should hop on IRC for tweaking assistance. Our crack team of 4P Professors is standing by...

do you?
I am using my original passkey...

hence 2 teams listed under mine...
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=Eagle07

congrats on the super efficient 4p... you came to the right place... welcome aboard.

Yeah, passkey and team affiliation are accounted independently...

But changing the name would require a new key bound to the new name, I assume?

Back