Court OKs Immunity For Telecoms in Wiretap Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has affirmed a lower court ruling on something we've all known for a while now...big telecoms have complete legal immunity from prosecution when helping the government eavesdrop on you.

"It emphasized that electronic intelligence gathering depends in great part on cooperation from private companies ... and that if litigation were allowed to proceed against persons allegedly assisting in such activities, 'the private sector might be unwilling to cooperate with lawful government requests in the future,'" Judge M. Margaret McKeown said.

what else is new.. no one's accountable anymore..

and hey..a "biz got a god given right to make a profit"..*cough* and if there's profit to be made in terms of future legislative and regulatory access..by serving criminal governments by violating constitutional rights...

gotta do what they gotta do...

*puke*

i presume the TOS you sign when you get services likely covers them for things like this, scary thought, cause now telecoms's will just be handing out things to the government with no worry of back lash.

the government is the problem, not the corporations that have the money to save themselves from it... something we've all known for a while now

Not suprising, the most liberal appeals court in the country sides with big government over the privacy rights of the individual.

I'm pretty sure that the grunt soldiers during WW2 didn't get a free pass to war crimes just because their superiors told them to do so.

It is things like this that make me wonder if the government really is for the people, or even by the people. Some of these politicians should have ZERO chance of election or reelection pulling these stunts. They are obviously manipulated by the big companies and groups (a monkey could tell you that).

We need a massive turnover in the government. Get a bunch of people in there that are working for the public, not for the greedy fuckers. I'm all one for making money, but not by manipulating the government to bail your ass out and pull shit like that. You earn money by hard work, not by bullshit.

Our government just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Screw all the Republican's and Democrats.

Viva Libertarians!

I can tell that nobody's reading the article, mainly because the linked article requires a membership to that news site to read it. Here's some links to the story on other news websites that will work:

New York Times
Washington Post
BusinessWeek

If you pay attention and actually read some of these stories, you will find that the judges in question not only make it clear that the government is the one to sue in these circumstances, but that this ruling has revived lawsuits against the government to stop them from making the requests, which is the right way to go about making this behavior stop.

You go ahead and scold the corporations all you want to, but in this case they are the small fry, and you're wasting your time trying to get them to do something illegal against the big fish.

Our government has declared war on the people, our constitution, and our freedoms in the name of security and corporate interests. They are destroying us from within by using legislation, who needs terrorist attacks, bombs, and guns? Just let Washington take our great nation apart piece by piece until there is nothing left.

I can tell that nobody's reading the article, mainly because the linked article requires a membership to that news site to read it. Here's some links to the story on other news websites that will work:

New York Times
Washington Post
BusinessWeek

If you pay attention and actually read some of these stories, you will find that the judges in question not only make it clear that the government is the one to sue in these circumstances, but that this ruling has revived lawsuits against the government to stop them from making the requests, which is the right way to go about making this behavior stop.

You go ahead and scold the corporations all you want to, but in this case they are the small fry, and you're wasting your time trying to get them to do something illegal against the big fish.

Thank you and let me add my RTFA people!

New York Times
Washington Post
BusinessWeek

I was wondering why people are trashing the corporations as well. I'm as anti Corporate America as anyone, but still favor this ruling as they were in a Catch22. If they respond they get sued by their customers and if they refuse the government, it ends up in court as well. People only sued the corporations over this hoping for a big easy payday from what they perceived as an easier target than the government.

Now they have to focus on the real problem which isn't what they wanted anyways, it has always been about how much money someone can squeeze out of a company.

Our government has declared war on the people, our constitution, and our freedoms in the name of security and corporate interests. They are destroying us from within by using legislation, who needs terrorist attacks, bombs, and guns? Just let Washington take our great nation apart piece by piece until there is nothing left.

The force is strong in this one.

I'd like to remind everyone who is sick of the erosion that only two individuals in congress voted against the Patriot Act. And both of those people are presently running for POTUS.

Ron Paul (R), and Dennis Kucinnich (D). I'd vote for either in a heartbeat, but my primary choice is RP.

Tired of war, mass incarceration, excessive taxation, and the erosion of civil liberties? You know what to do, research and vote.

A warrantless wiretap shouldn't be allowed by the government, at all. But, the telecommunications companies allow them to do so without a warrant - and it's all fine and dandy now. You can't sue the telecommunications company for allowing it. You have to sue to government, which is a lose/lose situation.

If I help someone break into a house, I'm an accessory. If the government breaks into a house with help from a company, neither are liable. Fuck that shit.

So, disliking the accessory of the crime is bad. Mmmkay. Got it. We all know the current government sucks, no doubts there. And I'm pissed that they are handing out the get out of jail free cards. But, you also can't ignore those that receive those cards, either.

/watch?v=es-hpxj01uQ

If they respond they get sued by their customers and if they refuse the government, it ends up in court as well.

Good luck prosecuting them for following the law. Your position is morally bankrupt.

People only sued the corporations over this hoping for a big easy payday from what they perceived as an easier target than the government.

We call this a strawman argument. You place other motivations onto other people to defend your morally bankrupt position. The fact that it doesn't matter and isn't true has no meaning to you.

You do realize most of these cases are brought by the ACLU, not for money, but to defend our civil rights.

If you had spent 5 minutes researching what our government has been caught doing instead of looking for strawman arguments to defend their patently illegal actions that they themselves have admitted have not stopped a single terrorist attack.....

Good luck prosecuting them for following the law. Your position is morally bankrupt.

We call this a strawman argument. You place other motivations onto other people to defend your morally bankrupt position. The fact that it doesn't matter and isn't true has no meaning to you.

You do realize most of these cases are brought by the ACLU, not for money, but to defend our civil rights.

If you had spent 5 minutes researching what our government has been caught doing instead of looking for strawman arguments to defend their patently illegal actions that they themselves have admitted have not stopped a single terrorist attack.....

Suing the companies to stop the government is fucking stupid. You take the case to the government.

Back