LG To Show Off 84-Inch ‘Ultra Definition’ TV At CES

use them an hour a day for work and write them off as a business expense! :D

Mmm....
Oh, sorry - was looking at the chick.

UDTV? Some of us are still on 720p, you bastards. ;)

I bought an 82" TV last year thinking it would be good for a while in terms of maximum size. Then this year Mitsubishi released a 92" TV.....son of a bitch.

1080p at 82" still looks fine if the pixel quality of the display is good. But 1080p should be the minimum at this size, so I welcome the dawn of 4K in the consumer market.

Although I don't think I would list "Film Pattern Retarder " as one of the selling points :D

In regards to computer monitors being 4k res while considering the average viewing distance, would that resolution even matter? At what point does extreme resolutions at an average viewing distance be a waste of time? Kind of like our eyes and FPS.....

In regards to computer monitors being 4k res while considering the average viewing distance, would that resolution even matter? At what point does extreme resolutions at an average viewing distance be a waste of time? Kind of like our eyes and FPS.....

With that rez on a 30" monitor who needs AA?

Please, tell us more about our eyes and FPS.

It's similar (to a point) as what I was asking with resolution on a desktop monitor.. When does it matter, or could we push 16 gigapixels on a screen that is 3 feet away from the eye and have you be able to notice a difference from 10 gigapixels.

Shit, Google it.

Please, tell us more about our eyes and FPS.

This had better not turn into the usual 30 fps argument that always seems to happen. Them some one will start the green vs. red then Intel vs. AMD and eventually someone will say that you just need an SSD.

That excuse will never have a chance against my wife.

We really need more women who appreciate these stuff rather than one who we have to debate and argue with just to get a new large TV:(

use them an hour a day for work and write them off as a business expense! :D

Mmm....
Oh, sorry - was looking at the chick.

At first, I read those as being from the same person and had a good chuckle.

It's nice to see the big-screen TVs coming down in price. But how about bringing some of that high-definition love to a smaller screen for PC use.

So this is a nearly 4k screen. Sony's 4k projector is slightly higher and is also 3d. The big question is if it will cost more than the $25k-$40k that Sony is charging.

I've seen a couple LED LCD 80" tv's and even 1080p looks bad on it. Quad HD is definitely needed for these larger TV's. HVD incoming!!!

My 73" Mitsubishi is nice, but I'm waiting for the 92" to come down to 2000 before upgrading

If it comes with that beauty standing next to it, sign me up.

Sharp has a new one of this size which is decent... the huge Mitsu DLP of 72-80+" has been around but its not so good looking IMHO, but its a good price for what you get.

Hopefully LG steps it up a notch in true "A+ quality" or pretty close, at least..

theres nothing to watch on it nothing is broadcast above 1080i there are some things on satilite that do 1080p that cost more to watch, Until thees a need to have resolution this high what good would it do to have it? I gues you could use it for a very expensive computer monitor .

Looks nice, though I wonder how much this would cost, still waiting on a TV that supports 1600p at a decent price.

i've always thought 1080p is crap. nice to see some change on the way.

It is all reletive to the size of the screen. With a computer monitor I wouldn't go over 22" for 1080p. My TV looks great at 1080p but it is 15 foot from my face. You are obviously way younger than I. I remember spending a fortune on a 1024 x 768 CRT in the '90s and thinking there is no way it could get any better.

The display industry seems to be headed towards marketing 3840x2160 as 4k instead of 2160p, despite the fact that the horizontal resolution of 3840 is not 4000. Oh well, it's far from the first misleading thing they've done.

wikipedia article on 4K resolution

This had better not turn into the usual 30 fps argument that always seems to happen. Them some one will start the green vs. red then Intel vs. AMD and eventually someone will say that you just need an SSD.

PMSL :D

I guess in terms of bang for the buck this ain't it.

I did get a 22" Sony G500 crt for $20 and it does 2048X1536. That might win the banging the buck contest.

theres nothing to watch on it nothing is broadcast above 1080i there are some things on satilite that do 1080p that cost more to watch, Until thees a need to have resolution this high what good would it do to have it? I gues you could use it for a very expensive computer monitor .
About to say the same thing. Bluray is the highest current standard generally available and that's 1080p. This is nice but not useful at this time.

I think some of you guys are missing the point.

On a standard 1080p screen using 3D, it cuts the resolution in half.

With this display, you get a more fuller HD experience in 3D, with the additional pixel count.

I want the 55 inch OLED that is commented on in that article more than some 3D TV set.

OLED DROOOOLLLL.

It is all reletive to the size of the screen. With a computer monitor I wouldn't go over 22" for 1080p. My TV looks great at 1080p but it is 15 foot from my face. You are obviously way younger than I. I remember spending a fortune on a 1024 x 768 CRT in the '90s and thinking there is no way it could get any better.

Yet I have people in the office who set thier 22" 1080p wide screen LCDs to 1378x768 or thier 19" 4:3 monitors to 1024x768. Then they complain the screen looks blury :(

Many older people have poor close-up vision, and the higher resolution is wasted on them. Luckly I don't have that problem :)

Back