Facebook Two Times More Popular Than Voting

HardOCP News

[H] News
The "shocking" statistic of the day...twice as many 18 year olds are on Facebook in the UK than are registered to vote. I don't even want to know what the ratio is over here in the states. :eek:

Twice as many British 18-year-olds are registered on Facebook as are registered to vote, shocking statistics show.

Good thing they said in the UK, I was about to call shenanigans as there's no way in hell there are half as many voters as facebook users in any demographic except maybe the "old as fuck" one.

People who are eligible to vote but don't disgust me.

I'll argue with people who have different political opinions than I do, but in the end I'll still respect their opinion.

I have no respect what so ever for people who don't vote.

If no politicians appeal to you, at least go vote "none of the above" to make a statement to that effect.

Not surprising. It takes a few seconds to sign up for facebook at your computer. Probably have to make a phone call, or go somewhere to register to vote.

Not surprising. It takes a few seconds to sign up for facebook at your computer. Probably have to make a phone call, or go somewhere to register to vote.

In Massachusetts they ask if you want to sign up at the RMV (what we call our DMV) when you get/renew your drivers license. As long as you say yes, they sign you up on the spot. No extra effort at all.

With as many problems and security issues that FB has, do you really want them to make it that easy to register to vote? I take it you're not registered?

Zarathustra[H];1038201713 said:

People who don't follow politics and just vote for whoever had the best sound bite disgust me.

If you can't be bothered to take the time to actually understand what/who you are voting for then don't bother to vote either.

What is the point when there is noone to vote for?
Plus most the 18 year olds I know don't give a crap about politic. At least enough to fill in some forms, send them off and go through all that annoyance.

In the US, if you register to vote, you automatically get signed up for the draft. What a bonus. :rolleyes:

In the US, if you register to vote, you automatically get signed up for the draft. What a bonus. :rolleyes:

There is no Draft, and hasn't been since the 70s.

You automatically get signed up for the "Selective Service", which you are legally required to sign up for whether you want to vote or not, for risk facing stiff penalties and possibly jail time.

You are even required to keep the selective service up to date with your address as it changes.

I'll argue with people who have different political opinions than I do, but in the end I'll still respect their opinion.

If no politicians appeal to you, at least go vote "none of the above" to make a statement to that effect.

Why don't you tell me how you really feel about me.

What is the point when there is noone to vote for?
Plus most the 18 year olds I know don't give a crap about politic. At least enough to fill in some forms, send them off and go through all that annoyance.

Any eligible person who chooses not to vote is essentially handing even more power over to the extremists on either side (who always, always, always vote). Also, demographically speaking, the GOP would love nothing more than all the youngsters (and most any minority) to stay at home on election day.

It makes no sense for young people to sit silent while others make all the decisions that will effect their future. If you can't give enough of a shit to vote, then certainly you have no business complaining about the results.

Also, demographically speaking, the GOP would love nothing more than all the youngsters (and most any minority) to stay at home on election day.

And the Democrats want nothing more than for the christians, taxpayers, and middle class (demographically speaking) to stay home.

In all honesty it's probably a good thing. More than enough idiots who don't understand the issues and have no clue what's going on vote as it is.

To be fair, not all states have a "None of the above" option on their ballot.
Nevada does, however, and it's my favorite candidate.

Any eligible person who chooses not to vote is essentially handing even more power over to the extremists on either side (who always, always, always vote). Also, demographically speaking, the GOP would love nothing more than all the youngsters (and most any minority) to stay at home on election day.

It makes no sense for young people to sit silent while others make all the decisions that will effect their future. If you can't give enough of a shit to vote, then certainly you have no business complaining about the results.

But the point is, neither party is exactly attractive. If either party gets in the exact same thing happens, so elections just seem like a formality. Its like going to a dinner party an being told you can pick any soup you want, but they only have tomato with italian basil or tomato with spanish basil. First time you go you pick italian, then next time you pick spanish. After finding them to same, you aren't going to care which. You see why if you get screwed either way its not really going to matter.

People go on and on about some messiah candidate, but they are all the same person, whichever team of morons you pick. Any decent human being is powerless to do anything in office because of all the corruption. All the backroom deals have proved beyond doubt that the US isn't a democracy anymore. Sure, people could do something about it, but it's just the way things work now, and would take serious action by a large amount of the population. Most people are far too busy with their own lives to spend a great deal of time on fixing something so broken.

But the point is, neither party is exactly attractive. If either party gets in the exact same thing happens, so elections just seem like a formality. Its like going to a dinner party an being told you can pick any soup you want, but they only have tomato with italian basil or tomato with spanish basil. First time you go you pick italian, then next time you pick spanish. After finding them to same, you aren't going to care which. You see why if you get screwed either way its not really going to matter.

People go on and on about some messiah candidate, but they are all the same person, whichever team of morons you pick. Any decent human being is powerless to do anything in office because of all the corruption. All the backroom deals have proved beyond doubt that the US isn't a democracy anymore. Sure, people could do something about it, but it's just the way things work now, and would take serious action by a large amount of the population. Most people are far too busy with their own lives to spend a great deal of time on fixing something so broken.

This is completely the wrong way to approach the situation.

Not voting is still voting. All candidates are not the same. Argh, this post hurts my head & heart.

Hell good thing in my opinion, honestly think the voting age should be like 25 because most young people are dumb as hell and vote pretty much purely for the coolest name.

Another facebook thread to get hits.... no basis or facts, just bogus nonsense.

1. Facebook can have fake accounts and multiple accounts (you think its really 850 million unique users? sorry, you must have just dropped your crack pipe)

2. Voting cannot be duped or faked, as far as anyone can tell... its all 1 vote, 1 person.

Therefor, 100% bullshit article and news here.
/thread

Not to mention.... felons can't vote (people who would probably make a fake account or two, or 3 on facebook to disprove this article even more).... or kids, or parents spying on their kids with 2nd accounts, etc, etc, etc I could go on forever.

I can make it triple by next month if I really wanted to "make some news about facebook to get attention to it" :eek: :rolleyes:

am I the only one that things this statistic is retarded? You can have a facebook account long before you turn 18 and most young people do now. The minute they turn 18... Oh no! you're on facebook and not a registered voter! This seems obvious to me considering you need to be 18 to register and you have had years to set up a facebook account which is quicker and more useful. I'm not saying voting is not important, but keeping in touch with people and such is useful.

am I the only one that things this statistic is retarded? You can have a facebook account long before you turn 18 and most young people do now. The minute they turn 18... Oh no! you're on facebook and not a registered voter! This seems obvious to me considering you need to be 18 to register and you have had years to set up a facebook account which is quicker and more useful. I'm not saying voting is not important, but keeping in touch with people and such is useful.

Nope. Only a tool would find this to be "factual worthy news".

There are so many unexplained factors that could make this 100% wrong, that its almost makes you shake your head.

1. Facebook can have fake accounts and multiple accounts (you think its really 850 million unique users? sorry, you must have just dropped your crack pipe)

2. Voting cannot be duped or faked, as far as anyone can tell... its all 1 vote, 1 person.

/thread

You obviously have not followed recent presidential voting have you? I was amazed looking at articles on how many non-existant and/or dead people voted democrat, and how many voted democrat in multiple jurisdictions at that. Then again, I wonder if all that press (that was not covered by CNN) was why they had to de-fund that acorn thug group?

/thread
How many dead people do you think are still voting ;).
Not to mention.... felons can't vote (people who would probably make a fake account or two, or 3 on facebook to disprove this article even more).... or kids, or parents spying on their kids with 2nd accounts, etc, etc, etc I could go on forever.

I can make it triple by next month if I really wanted to "make some news about facebook to get attention to it" :eek: :rolleyes:
Depending on where your from and the crime commited, a felon can vote as long as they aren't still in prison ;).

Depending on where your from and the crime commited, a felon can vote as long as they aren't still in prison ;).

I am not sure about that... the DNC visited prisons and passed out voter registration forms for Obama's election.

I am not sure about that... the DNC visited prisons and passed out voter registration forms for Obama's election.
Yea well with all of the shit that went down the last election nothing would surprise me, lol.

Certainly not true if you're able to vote in the primaries or are voting for your representation in the house or senate. I'll agree though that often a presidential vote is almost always for a douche or a turd. They do their best too weed out all the worthwhile candidates in the primaries though for the presidential election. Just look at what they've been trying to do to Ron Paul, IMHO the only top tier candidate not in someones pocket. They purposely ignored him for as long as they could and now only seem to do much reporting on him now to try and smear him. Like saying he's a racist, by dredging up a newsletter that was racist, not written or supported by him, that is over 20 years old and was immediately disavowed by they man as soon as he learned about it 20 years ago. Or continuously reporting on how he can't win and even if he does it's really a win for someone else; because they say he can't win anywhere but Iowa. It's pretty disgusting and I'm sick of it. He's the only one of the top tier candidates that's any different than any of the others and wants to make changes that actually address the issues that are eating us alive. Sound money and a constitutional gov't that lives within it's means. Although I'd be surprised if he wins the primaries. He has a lot of enemies both in government and among the corporations that rely on the gov't dole.

The "shocking" statistic of the day...twice as many 18 year olds are on Facebook in the UK than are registered to vote. I don't even want to know what the ratio is over here in the states. :eek:

It's a lot easier to sign up for Facebook. If I want to friend [H], but I don't have an FB account, I don't have to sign up for FB by a certain date. I don't have to drive to the DMV.

It's apples and oranges.

Oh and I'm not close to 18 and I've voted since i was 20 (not sure if I was registered prior to that).

Certainly not true if you're able to vote in the primaries or are voting for your representation in the house or senate. I'll agree though that often a presidential vote is almost always for a douche or a turd. They do their best too weed out all the worthwhile candidates in the primaries though for the presidential election. Just look at what they've been trying to do to Ron Paul, IMHO the only top tier candidate not in someones pocket. They purposely ignored him for as long as they could and now only seem to do much reporting on him now to try and smear him.

I'm not really a Paul fan (the actual Libertarian candidate, is more likely to get my vote than Paul). With that said, paul was ignored, because he wasn't a front runner. Now he is. I've heard stories on NPR and read articles on line for at least 2 or 3 weeks, and none of them trashed him. Whether or not he's in anyone's pocket, i dont' know. he's been in office, off and on, for decades. And frankly it doesn't matter, because if he were to become president, he'd have to compromise with congress, or nothing would get done. It's easy to be an ideologue when you're in the House. It's a lot harder when you have to work with hundreds of people who don't agree with your world view.

It'd be interesting, however, if he did get the nomination.

Back