Sapphire HD7970

zpaf

Weaksauce
My new card is here. :D

gDmlG.jpg

gpuzt.jpg

3dmark11d.jpg

AMD Radeon HD 7970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-970 Processor ,ASUSTeK Computer INC. Rampage III Extreme score: P9088 3DMarks

uniginez.jpg

"None the less, 1125 MHz on the core and 6300 MHz on the memory without any voltage tweaking has to be a new milestone all by itself. The advantage without added voltage is that the temperatures do not change that much, the noise levels remain okay and the power draw really isn't bad either."
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-overclock-guide/18

Yes It's True.

Last edited:
I have this feeling.... what could it be? Jealousy? Yeah, that's it, jealousy.

On the one hand, I envy and hate you. On the other hand... erm, nope, looks like it's just the one. :D

Lucky you. Good to see somebody actually buy one already. I like Sapphire as well. :cool:

Grats! Beautiful card. Really wish I had a 5870 or less so I had a reason to upgrade. For most of us, it's cheaper to add a 2nd 6950 / 6970 and be faster than a 7970. Beautiful card! Again, grats.

I thought that this card from guru3d was hand picked and it was not reliable these values at core and memory with no voltage.
I love Sapphire too. :D

cccfto.jpg

Cool, I plan on getting the 7970 too.

I hope there are some non-reference versions available at launch. If not I'll still buy it and then later purchase an aftermarket cooler separately. Not so much for overclocking reasons but rather acoustics... Can't have my gameplay experience dented by a noisy fan.

Nice. Post some game benchmarks please. ;)
All the game benchmarks are here http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-overclock-guide/1 my friend.

Later I will connect all u2311 monitor and try to see if I can play my favorite game BF3 at 3240x1920 resolution.
I had three reference Sapphire 6950 unlocked to 6970 and before this HD7970 I played with two Asus DC II 6970.
So I want see if with this card BF3 will be playable for me.
As you can see I am ATI fanboy. :D

All the game benchmarks are here http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-overclock-guide/1 my friend.

Later I will connect all u2311 monitor and try to see if I can play my favorite game BF3 at 3240x1920 resolution.
I had three reference Sapphire 6950 unlocked to 6970 and before this HD7970 I played with two Asus DC II 6970.
So I want see if with this card BF3 will be playable for me.
As you can see I am ATI fanboy. :D

What was wrong with the two 6970s at 3240x1920? You miss AA over FXAA that much?

What was wrong with the two 6970s at 3240x1920? You miss AA over FXAA that much?

Nothing was wrong my friend just want to try and see the behavior with this new card.
I play BF3 with these settings plus console command WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 0 and really enjoy the game.

setmk.jpg

Nothing was wrong my friend just want to try and see the behavior with this new card.
I play BF3 with these settings plus console command WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 0 and really enjoy the game.

setmk.jpg

Care to share what the FPS is at those settings? How do you feel it compares to the 6970 crossfire set up you had?

I've read that. I was more curious to what your opinion was since you owned it and moved on. As in, is there any difference in smoothness of game?

So eyefinity is up n running. :D
First minidp to fulldp second minidp to dvi and the third output dvi to dvi and the 3xu2311 in portrait mode at 3240x1920 are ready.
The picture quality is better than 69xx series.
Fps is obviously less than my previous setup with 6970 crossfire
The card at 70c is louder than my 2xAsus DC II.
And of course the game is more smooth.

sapphiresa.jpg

hd7970bf3s.jpg

Cool, I plan on getting the 7970 too.

I hope there are some non-reference versions available at launch. If not I'll still buy it and then later purchase an aftermarket cooler separately. Not so much for overclocking reasons but rather acoustics... Can't have my gameplay experience dented by a noisy fan.

reference designs usually go for the first 3 months before the custom ones come out.. AMD and Nvidia both do the same thing since it usually takes a lot of R&D/testing for the manufactures to release their custom designs.

That's the part that worries me...
And I thought the 7970 was supposed to be cooler and quieter. Then again, didn't someone write that there was an issue with early batches of the cards where the TIM was not the right type or incorrectly applied resulting in hotter and louder than usual cards?

And I thought the 7970 was supposed to be cooler and quieter. Then again, didn't someone write that there was an issue with early batches of the cards where the TIM was not the right type or incorrectly applied resulting in hotter and louder than usual cards?

Yeah, but from what I read, that's for the reference cards that were sent to reviewers. However, if that's also the case with retail cards, then probably should look into replacing the TIM on the GPU. I know a few sites saw a decrease in temperature and fan noise when the TIM was replaced.

As for the OP, the card is supposed to be cooler than the 6970 and 580 by a few degrees:

1324209130CZ7mwgCQjR_13_2.gif

Several reviews have shown that as well that it is relatively quieter by a few decibels and cooler by a few degrees C. So, you may have to look into replacing that thermal interface material.

EDIT: By the way, OP, you are the envy of many on the forum as we speak. Including me. :D

Nice Tease OP :(. I can't wait for Jan 9th to come around. 2x7970 for sure

Dirt3 and F1 2010 on eyefinity resolution 3240x1920 with ingame settings at max.
First with clocks at defaults.

dirt3efdef.jpg

f12010eddef.jpg

and now maxed clocks from ccc 1125/1575

dirt3efdefteza.jpg

f12010eddefteza.jpg

My CpuZ

cpuzak.jpg

hi OP, would you be able to test/try Eyefinity in (any) mixed resolutions?

I know E2.0 supposedly do it but want to know how the things are in real world. Waiting to run my 20-30-20 by default support without 3rd party software!

20% fps increase min and average with OC, wery nice!

Everyone talking about OC the CPU, I don't think it helps because the GPU is bottleneck at eyefinity, my CPU never reach 90% on core loads.

Back