HP ZR30w or Dell U3011: is either better for gaming?

peppergomez

2[H]4U
Going to give one of these a try in the hopes that the anti-glare won't be as much as issue w/ black text on white background as it is on the 27" Dell and HP IPS monitors.

I'm curious if either is better suited for games, mainly in terms of input lag, response time, or whatever other relevant factors. I'll be using Dual-DVI, so I don't care about HDMI.

If PLP mode works for gaming in Eyefinity 2.0, it's possible I might add 2 Dell 20" in portrait mode on either side, for 1200x1600,2560x1600,1200x1600 total across the three screens. This will only be if AMD has made it possible to game with mixed resolutions. This would possibly give Dell the edge. Or not.

Thanks for any feedback.

I've used only the 27" model HP ZR2740w and have used the u3011. As far as my naked eye can tell, they are comparable in response time, either one should serve you fine.

As much as I love IPS, are you sure you want an IPS for gaming? The benefits of IPS are 1) better than 1080p resolution 2) viewing angles (doesn't matter with dead on viewing) and 3) better color reproduction.

Personally if I only cared about gaming i'd probably get a PLS (better response times than IPS) or a 120hz monitor :)

I would rather get two ZR27w or 24's instead for the money. I have a ZR24w and I chose this over the competition mainly because of the lower ms and the ease of standard gamut. But even then sacrifices had to be made compared to a hardcore TN gaming panel, I know it will never equal a 120hz monitor, but I use my computer for more then just gaming. If it's a strictly specialized gaming rig then there are much better options out there.

Yes, sure re:IPS. They aren't so slow as to be unuseable for games and offer better picture quality and resolution.

My girlfriend just bought and uses the HP ZR30w. It's a very nice monitor but ... for gaming, forget it. The latency on it is pretty bad. At least 3 frames behind. I would suggest you Youtube search "HP ZR30w review" "HP ZR30w gaming" "HP ZR30w latency" "HP ZR30w unboxing" you will find more than a few guys who use it for gaming and also discovery / report / show the latency. It's more so for productivity.

My girlfriend just bought and uses the HP ZR30w. It's a very nice monitor but ... for gaming, forget it. The latency on it is pretty bad. At least 3 frames behind. I would suggest you Youtube search "HP ZR30w review" "HP ZR30w gaming" "HP ZR30w latency" "HP ZR30w unboxing" you will find more than a few guys who use it for gaming and also discovery / report / show the latency. It's more so for productivity.

No it doesn't, the ZR30w has only about 11ms of input lag from what I can tell vs CRT which is less than one frame.

Are you referring to this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVTCaCgrsSY
The guy mentions the Dell as having that 3 frames of lag, but says that the HP is fine in this regard, with 10ms of input lag. 7:30 mark. His only real complaint about the ZR30w is one stuck pixel.

Have you gamed on your girlfriend's ZR30w and experienced lag/latency firsthand?

I used to have a u3011 and I never noticed any obvious latency problems with it. Unless you compare it to something like a 120hz monitor, but in all honesty you probably won't have any problems.

I find that hard to believe. Turn down all your prerender frame options on the computer. I went from the U3011 which loads of people said had no input lag, I felt loads of it, moved to the ZR30w and it's very sharp. There must be something in the system. Try Quake3 or CS.

This monitor is less than one frame.

Back