GoDaddy Lost 70k Domains Last Week

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like GoDaddy is trying to prevent its customers from leaving by throwing a monkey wrench into the domain name transfer process.

"GoDaddy appears to be returning incomplete Whois information to Namecheap, delaying the transfer process" in violation of rules established by ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, NameCheap wrote in a blog post today. By this afternoon, the company said that GoDaddy had "finally unblocked our queries" and that transfers should now "go smoothly."

I only have one domain left at Godaddy. I was going to wait until it expired, but i'm starting to think I should start to transfer sooner.

I'm moving mine as well. Just been dealing with them being punks about this and making me jump through hoops.

I wouldn't mind getting away from them myself. I have one domain and super cheap but I'm a noob at this. I don't know how to transfer and I'm really not sure who I'd transfer to.

out of all the domain name companies i have ever used, i prefer direct nic and network solutions

I had a few domain names with GD...just let them expire and recreated somewhere else...Not like what I had was anything important enough to hold onto ;]

<cancelled with them... keep sending me an inordinate amount of e-mails about my domain going to expire. lol... too bad it's an automated system, otherwise I'd respond: "no shit".

_http://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/876/83/how-to-transfer-a-domain-from-godaddy

Bob Parsons Hunting Elephant
_http://www.elliotsblog.com/bob-parsons-hunting-problem-elephant-in-zimbabwe-2072

so who do you guys recommend for names and hosting? I always liked godaddy for hosting thanks to options (I like windows servers) and especially databases through godaddy were plentiful and easy

what are better options with less sketchy companies, maybe even ones that would allow streaming to be set up

There was a post on reddit saying this was basically a PR move and they haven't actually withdrawn official support yet. Combined with this blocking maneuver, which is supposedly an accident, it's putting them in a very bad light right now. Not that they were ever really that great.

reddit link

I pay them to provide me with a service and they do it. Whether they're "sketchy" or not doesn't concern me so long as they do what I pay them to do.

No complaints.

has anyone ever used http://www.arvixe.com I was looking at their features and it seems pretty awesome, 5 bucks a month for ASP.NET sites with unlimited databases, and basically every other feature you could want on a personal site

almost too good to be true based on the features list, but I'd love to jump ship with godaddy and everything about this host seems great

I have a couple sites I maintain on there for my side business customers and I haven't had any real problems other than their support staff are complete morons. They always struck me as a pretty sleazy operation though.

so who do you guys recommend for names and hosting? I always liked godaddy for hosting thanks to options (I like windows servers) and especially databases through godaddy were plentiful and easy

what are better options with less sketchy companies, maybe even ones that would allow streaming to be set up
Namecheap for domains
Dreamhost for webhosting

Set my last two GoDaddy domains to expire and cancelled my hosting with them. One of the domains I was going to drop anyway, the second one I use to demo partially complete pages and concepts (a staging site) to clients so I will probably transfer that one in the next 30 days.

I'll be adding one more to the statistic on Thursday, when Namecheap has their SOPAsucks promo ($6.99 transfer).

Wow... reading through that stuff, I think I'll be transferring my domains off asap.

Seeing that "SOPAsucks" coupon, I'll be doing my transfers on the 29th no question.

I got my domain through Namecheap but I host email through GoDaddy. Guess I need to see about hosing it elsewhere, huh?

I started migrating away from godaddy a few years ago and have a few domains left there. I mostly moved away because I've always felt that their advertising was unprofessional. Yeah, the average joe might like the use of models and innuendo, but I do a lot of work for professionals (including a women's association).

I was planning on moving an expiring domain next week, now it looks like I better start sooner since there are some extra hoops to jump though. I prefer namecheap.com - it's not flashy, but it's reliable and works. I do basic linux hosting through hostgator and some windows hosting at resellerchoice.com.

I think 70k is a pretty small number in comparison to their daily registrations.

Hopefully they get the message. The MAFIAA / RIAA cannot be allowed to run the internet. They already have their protection money operations (pay up or we'll sue). I don't promote piracy, but the rights of a company to (try) control the Internet raises red flags.

Long live the last wild west of the newest generations (the net).

I pay them to provide me with a service and they do it. Whether they're "sketchy" or not doesn't concern me so long as they do what I pay them to do.

No complaints.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

You keep feeding the demon The rest of us will take our business elsewhere.

I just wanna say GD is a dirtbag company and is living proof that advertising works.

I think 70k is a pretty small number in comparison to their daily registrations.

70K is nothing, godaddy has millions of domains registered (they hit 40 million last year)

for those looking for hosting, HostGator has windows and linux based options and they did have a coupon for 50% off last week, not sure if it is still valid coupon is "nosopa"

hostgator has the best hosting IMO. They are supposed to offer DNS soon as well. Once they do I'll be transferring all 100+ of my domains

Back