GMC Adds in Low-Cost Collision Warning by switching to Webcams

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
By switching from the more expensive radar to the cheaper webcam technology, GM has been able to bring to the market a simple, but effective, auto collision warning system for under $300 dollars. There is nothing ground breaking in the technology, just the availability to the masses at such a low cost makes the warning system exceptional.

Together this affordable combo suggests GM was on target in 2009 when it told Congress, “Give us that $7 billion bailout and you’ll get to see the great technologies and cars in the pipeline.”

Hope not. Too much lag in the Kinect. You would have collided before it warned you of the collision.

Possibly.

Although I think an SSD connected to something like that that constantly records (and over) would be a great addition to a car, not so much for safety, but for accidents so you can show that "yeah that fucker did just zip in front of me and slam on the brakes"

what if it rains

That is a problem that the radar based collision warning systems also had to deal with, so hopefully GM has done enough real world testing in all situations. Personally, I would rather stick with some common sense as I think that cars are getting so high tech that people are forgetting how to drive.

Back