Zuckerberg’s Vietnam Holiday: Business or Pleasure?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
When you are one of the world’s richest men you can go anywhere on the planet for a vacation at Christmas. What would the chances be that you would choose Vietnam as your Christmas vacation destination? Mark Zuckerberg and his girlfriend are in Vietnam for the holidays, but exactly for what reason is still up for speculation.

Social media is exploding in Vietnam, with the country ranked amongst the world’s ten fastest growing markets.

Well you cant use Facebook there legally anyways, so maybe he is there to petition to open up Facebook to Vietnam

Last time I was in Nam it was back in '96. Beautiful country with lots of open areas and spectacular scenery. And watching how it transformed since then is simply amazing. They now have a Bank of America, Grey Hound bus tours, and a Dairy Queen there! Watch the Top Gear episode where the 3 hosts are in Vietnam and you'll see how amazing that country is to visit. Only thing that sucked was the 17 hour flight to Seoul, Korea and then a connecting flight to Ho Chi Minh City. Ever since Intel opened up a fab plant in Vietnam, that country is starting to embrace technology very rapidly.

Vietnam is a great place to vacation. Not sure how this is news.
Except it is really not. Having lived in South East Asia for a while and visited most of the holiday-hot-spots, Vietnam is not much of a tourist attraction.

Don't believe me? Just look at tourist dollars spent as a percentage of GDP. Vietnam is miserably low compared to other locations in the region.

BTW, Bali in Indonesia is one of the best places I have spent my vacations, and if you are into SCUBA diving, the waters are much more conductive to that than Vietnam. It is more or less purpose built for tourism, with beautiful ancient temples, lots of culture, pure luxury and service oriented industry everywhere. And for those that prefer to experience "authentic poverty" for personal enjoyment (I have never understood that), the mainland is just a hop away.

Except it is really not. Having lived in South East Asia for a while and visited most of the holiday-hot-spots, Vietnam is not much of a tourist attraction.

Don't believe me? Just look at tourist dollars spent as a percentage of GDP. Vietnam is miserably low compared to other locations in the region.

BTW, Bali in Indonesia is one of the best places I have spent my vacations, and if you are into SCUBA diving, the waters are much more conductive to that than Vietnam. It is more or less purpose built for tourism, with beautiful ancient temples, lots of culture, pure luxury and service oriented industry everywhere. And for those that prefer to experience "authentic poverty" for personal enjoyment (I have never understood that), the mainland is just a hop away.

Except it is.

I am very interested in Zuckerberg's vacation details. Very interested. He is the talk of the town -- who wouldn't want to know where he is, this very minute.

lol, weird news. Who cares where Zuck is at for his vacation. Its his own money and time, he's free to go to Iraq or Afghan for a vacation if thats what he wants.

So because it's not popular, it's not a good place to visit? Flawless logic.

Your criteria for a vacation spot might be entirely different from his, or from Zuckerberg's.

It is obvious he watched the Top Gear Vietnam special and like everyone else wanted to recreate that trip.

and here is part of our core problem as a country -- we are about what everyone ELSE is doing except our own damn selves. Why worry about some crazy billionaire ginger kid when you should worry about your kids, your wife, or your parents?

More than a few problems stem from the fact nobody can mind their own damn business anymore.

and here is part of our core problem as a country -- we are about what everyone ELSE is doing except our own damn selves. Why worry about some crazy billionaire ginger kid when you should worry about your kids, your wife, or your parents?

More than a few problems stem from the fact nobody can mind their own damn business anymore.

Can I say that you are completely, absolutely fucking AWESOME! 100% right. Exactly what I've been trying to say for years. My wife, though, loves what everyone else is doing...

Your Jedi skills are honed to perfection, sir.

Maybe if i bump into him,i'll send him a [H]ard welcome. :D

And let's see what's his reaction when finding out the Facebook is blocked here.

This is why I would hate to be famous. Pretty bad when every single move of a person's life is newsworthy. I wonder if famous people get sick of this after a while. I'm assuming we'll soon see an article on what he had for breakfast, and how big his poop was after Christmas dinner.

I just got back from a South East Asia trip for the month of November. Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia. North Vietnam was disgusting. Southern Vietnam was more Westernized but pretty damn dirty as well. Would not recommend Hanoi to anyone.

Back