USB 3.0 Adapter (external plug to onboard socket)

brownkc

Gawd
I recently picked up a Corsair 600T case which has one USB 3.0 connection on the top of the case. Instead of having the normal cable that can connect to an internal USB 3.0 header, the cable is finished like an external USB cable. Is there an adapter that would let me connect it to the internal USB 3.0 header rather than having to run the cable out the back to an external connection?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks. I bookmarked both pages for when I upgrade to Ivy Bridge. I doubt any new mobo variations will include an onboard header that works with an external USB connector.

Call up Corsair, they should give you the adapter. As I recall, those cases were designed before the USB 3.0 internal header was finalized, so the external connection was just a temporary remedy.

I know that's what CoolerMaster did with the HAF X. Have the external connector first, then send out the internal adapters after the header was finalized to those who bought the case.

I have one of these and it works for my purposes - I only use one of the plugs so I can't comment on the reviewer that says only one of the plugs will run at 3.0 and the other will only run at 2.0:

http://www.amazon.com/2-Port-USB-3-0-Female-Adapter/dp/B005AJX9MW

And as that reviewer linked, something like this would work as well, though it would add a bit of extra cord clutter:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...n_to_Dual_USB_30_External_Female_FCUC-01.html

Thanks for this link. One thing I'm not certain about. Both these adapters connect to a USB 20 pin connector. Is that the standard motherboard connector for USB 3.0?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Call up Corsair, they should give you the adapter. As I recall, those cases were designed before the USB 3.0 internal header was finalized, so the external connection was just a temporary remedy.

I know that's what CoolerMaster did with the HAF X. Have the external connector first, then send out the internal adapters after the header was finalized to those who bought the case.

indeed they did send out adapters. the big issue with those adapters is that they are almost useless. you have to use the original 3ft usb 3 extension cables that came with the case, then add the 6-7 inch adapter cable to be able to plug it onto the midboard connector. its just stupid. they should have just made a shorter cable instead of an adapter. ive ran across a few usb 3 devices that do not work well with long cables....

Back