WD Adds Thousands of New HD Movies for WD TV Customers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Western Digital, the world's leader in external storage solutions and maker of the acclaimed WD TV® media player family, has added streaming movie service VUDU, as well as several additional new sports and entertainment services to the WD TV Live™ and WD TV Live Hub™ media players, adding to the media player family's current content offerings from Netflix®, Hulu Plus™, Blockbuster®, CinemaNow®, Spotify™, Pandora®, YouTube®, Facebook® and many others. In addition to VUDU, new services include SnagFilms, XOS College Sports, SEC Digital Network, Comedy Time and Watch Mojo.

I'm on my 4th one and just absolutely love it. The newest version has an incredible new UI, new remote and built in Wifi. I have 2 x 3TB mybooks hooked up and just about 900+ HD movies. I have a handful of 1080p content, mostly pixar stuff as they are reasonable in size. 99% of my collection is 720p and it looks just fantastic. The firmware update came out last night and grabbed it. They added in vudu and handful of other, what they they call services. Best $99 you can spend. What's funny is, this thing runs circles around Google TV. I have the Logitech Revue and it's a joke, IMHO compared to the new WD HD Theater Live.

I'm afraid to update mine because last time I updated my WDTV live it broke Tversity streaming.

I just snagged one of the new WD TV Live units...beats the pants off the one I already had (~1 yr old, no WiFi, crummy remote). Love them both though, have yet to find a file they can't play. DVD options menu could use a little help though I think (not DVD navigation, but the options menu that pops up when you hit the Option key while playing from an ISO file).

I remember having the 1st gen of the WDTVs, nice little box and WD always were on top improving the firmware.

This newer version doesn't seem to have *any* cooling slots/holes/etc. after looking at images on newegg's site. How is it able to cool itself (especially when near other high heat sources such as tvs and receivers) compared to the overheating problems of the first gen WDTV as well as some of the 2nd gens?

I also own a 1gen of these, I wouldn't mind owning one where I don't have to move my HD around the house all the time since there's no ethernet or wireless internet on it :(

Hard to justify 100$ uppgrade when it still works perflectly.

You don't need TVersity. The WDTV handles just about everything.

I had to resort to Tversity because WDTV Live would not consistently share my files on Windows 7 64 bit. I spent a good number of hours editing shares and it would not work. Watched several configuration videos and it would not work. Tversity is the only way it does for me.

Back