Saudi Prince Invests $300M In Twitter

HardOCP News

[H] News
If I had $300 million to invest, I'm not too sure it would be Twitter.

Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal and his investment company said Monday they are investing a combined $300 million into Twitter, giving the microblogging site a cash boost as it looks to entice more users and paying advertisers. The joint investment follows months of negotiations and represents a "strategic stake" in Twitter. t wasn't clear how much of Twitter the prince will control.

Bad investment imo.! What other than a 'status update' on celebs does this crapshoot offer that makes it worth so much? I've been to the site maybe once to see what it's all about and haven't since.

Guys you need to understand something. Just because something doesn't make sense to you (Twitter) doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to teenage girls, narcissists, and general douche-bags.

Lots of things make no real sense, and yet are strangely very successful. Social media companies like Twitter and Facebook meet the need of vapid attention whores and their mindless followers...and it meets the need of companies and governments looking to mine data about their customers and citizens.

Guys you need to understand something. Just because something doesn't make sense to you (Twitter) doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to teenage girls, narcissists, and general douche-bags.

Lots of things make no real sense, and yet are strangely very successful. Social media companies like Twitter and Facebook meet the need of vapid attention whores and their mindless followers...and it meets the need of companies and governments looking to mine data about their customers and citizens.

Thank you putting so eloquently what I have been thinking about those sites since their popular uptake ;)

Thank you putting so eloquently what I have been thinking about those sites since their popular uptake ;)

You are welcome. Now consider this...

Social media, rightly, or wrongly, has been identified by the media as a significant factor in the Arab Spring uprisings of this year - both for information dispersal and organizing.

Popular uprising - something Saudi Arabia doesn't want to see happen in their country.
I wonder if $300 million is enough money to buy a button at twitter central command to "turn it off when we want."

Social media, rightly, or wrongly, has been identified by the media as a significant factor in the Arab Spring uprisings of this year - both for information dispersal and organizing.

Popular uprising - something Saudi Arabia doesn't want to see happen in their country.
I wonder if $300 million is enough money to buy a button at twitter central command to "turn it off when we want."

Mind==blown

Damn - very, VERY good point

All those people that invested in MySpace are shaking their heads right now.... what was that valued at before it tanked? :D

Note to Twitter / Facebook. Sell, sell sell!

All those people that invested in MySpace are shaking their heads right now.... what was that valued at before it tanked? :D

Note to Twitter / Facebook. Sell, sell sell!

I don't think the Saudi prince really care about what happens to Twitter. $300 million is probably peanuts to them. They just want to be able to "persuade" Twitter to control their contents, reminding them that they helped them stay afloat. If it goes away entirely, then it'll be even better for them.

First thing that came to my mind as well when I saw the headline on AP.

In before people who don't know how to use Twit... too late :(

Anyone care to list a few reasons why they currently don't like Twitter?

In before people who don't know how to use Twit... too late :(

Anyone care to list a few reasons why they currently don't like Twitter?

Just a general allergy to social media...tools for enabling narcissism.

Just a general allergy to social media...tools for enabling narcissism.
Here's the thing. Twitter, for me, is a great Tech news source. I have access to a multitude of articles and news stories from many tech companies across the globe.

It is not just for poop status updates, celebrities, or "narcissism".

Here's the thing. Twitter, for me, is a great Tech news source. I have access to a multitude of articles and news stories from many tech companies across the globe.

It is not just for poop status updates, celebrities, or "narcissism".

You get articles tweeted to your phone? Why? You like interruptions?

Honestly, between all the social networking type of sites and tools, I think twitter is the one with some staying power.

I use it, but not as a social networking tool. I use it to keep up to date on info (much like an RSS feed). It's great for keeping in the loop with the current jailbreak scene for iOS among other things. You don't have to rely on the news or blogs for your information anymore. You can get it directly from the source

You get articles tweeted to your phone? Why? You like interruptions?
You may be a bit uninformed on how Twitter works. It does not interrupt me in any way. I open Twitter and browse articles whenever I want. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I'm sure $300M carries a bit of influence... (and possibly a handshake of more possible)

/shrug

Like it or not this social stuff is popular right now.

Companies and "entrepreneurial" individuals have access to historically unprecedented amounts of personal information which people give up willingly.

It's not an implanted ID chip, but it's the closest thing I could think of.

Again... /shrug

You may be a bit uninformed on how Twitter works. It does not interrupt me in any way. I open Twitter and browse articles whenever I want. Nothing more. Nothing less.

That's just like any other webpage... When most people think of twitter they think of individuals pushing out updates to subscribers, yes?

That's just like any other webpage... When most people think of twitter they think of individuals pushing out updates to subscribers, yes?

Webpage comment: Technically yes. It would be like setting up RSS feeds in your Outlook, Google Home page, so on and so forth. However, setting that up and using that on your phone, for me, would be a little frustrating.

Push comment: I would say that most people view Twitter as "Social Media" only. Following XYZ person of interest. However, in my case, I follow tech companies a few beer companies and a few friends.

I launch the Twitter app. Scroll through the "headlines" and select an article I find interesting. It is a great resource when tailored to my/your interests.

Back