BF3 Stuttering/studdering/hitching fix

Evil Scooter

Supreme [H]ardness
Sorry if this is posted somewhere in the BF3 thread.. but that's turned into a long read. :p

I had this issue from BETA and it's annoying as heck. Personally I run xfire but from reading it seems this issue effects AMD and NV equally. The stutter was most noticeable when strafing left/right. The minimap in the bottom left corner would "jiggle" a lot as well when it occured. I read extensively and people had lots of suggestions, here are a few of the most common I found:

1) Drivers.
2) Turn of hyper-threading.
3) Disable mouse acceleration in game.
4) Enable vsync.
5) Enter the following console commands:

"RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1"

and finally:

"gametime.maxvariablefps 59"

^^ That last one (limiting fps to 59) with vsync enabled fixed about 80%+ of the stuttering I was experiencing.

Using this command to monitor cpu/gpu:

"Render.PerfOverlayVisible 1"

You could see the spikes settle a lot after limiting the FPS to 59. But the remaining stuttering was still noticeable, cyclical and annoying. You could see the small "flutters" on the overlay graph. Happened about every third step while strafing left/right without fail.
I spent some time on an empty server playing with video settings yesterday. Disabled everything optional on low and started adding things from there. Nothing had an effect. Just for shits and giggles I set my FPS limit using the below command to 59.95:

"gametime.maxvariablefps 59.95"

Viola.. the stuttering vanished completely! :eek: FPS reports as 60 using the in game "render.drawfps 1" command and the overlay graph is nice and smooth. I know not why this works.. seriously.. it was just a darn lucky guess maybe influenced by some reading on LCD/LED monitors I had done recently. File under.. "worked for me". :p I added that 59.95 command to a user.cfg file in my Origin Games\Battlefield 3 folder so it adds the command whenever the game launches automatically and I have not had an issue since. To summarize, using "gametime.maxvariablefps 59.95" with vsync enabled cured my stuttering completely. As in "OMFG IT"S FINALLY GONE!!!" I am able to run with all Ultra, AA Post high and 4x. HBAO and motion Blur disabled. You'll still see the normal slowdowns if/when your frames drop under 60fps(ok... 59.95 for you sticklers).

Full system specs in my siggy. Windows 7 pro 64bit and I'm running the Catalyst 12.1 preview with the 11.12 CAP1. Hope this helps someone else or at least points them in the right direction as it changed my BF3 game experience completely. :D

Last edited:
I'll have to try this out, I know HT and Speedstepping being turned off really improved fps for me but nobody has ever been able to explain wtf render.ahead does though. I have not gotten around to using that command because I really don't know what it does.

I'll have to try this out, I know HT and Speedstepping being turned off really improved fps for me but nobody has ever been able to explain wtf render.ahead does though. I have not gotten around to using that command because I really don't know what it does.

From what I have read that command it controls the number of frames prepared by CPU before the processing is transferred to GPU. I tried 0, 1, 2 and 3, it made no difference whatsoever on my rig.

the render ahead passes the data to the CPU to render then passes it to the GPU. I just leave this off on the driver level.

I still can't fix my bf3 problem. I tried 4-5 different video cards and they all crash or get black screen.
I don't have any problems with others games.

You may want to buy a new computer.

Honestly there has to be a hardware issue with that guy's comp. Perhaps a power/mobo issue but trying 4-5 different video cards with the same results either means reinstall Windows time or some hardware in the chain is a weak link and making it fail.

is there a command to save settings? so i dont have to input render.drawfps 1 everytime?

Back