Has anyone ever gotten EVGA to honor a warranty w/o registering?

insane111

Limp Gawd
A friend of mine fried his 9800 GX. The card had a lifetime warranty, but he failed to register it within the required 30 days (nor within the last 3 years for that matter, haha).
What I'm wondering is, has anyone ever attempted and had any success in trying to get them to help you out with a similar situation? Or is it just a waste of time to even try?

I have seen people be successful with XFX in obtaining extended warranty services when they forgot to register.

What I would do is have the original receipt ready electronically and call EVGA support and see what they have to say, doesn't hurt to try.:p

Well, I went ahead and gave it a shot without expecting much.

Reply #1
Unfortunately without being registered within 30 days, the warranty on the card would have expired on 10/9/2009. However that being said,
if you are able to upload a copy of the original purchase invoice, we can have this reviewed for you for a possible out of warranty one-time replacement.
You can upload the invoice at http://www.evga.com/invoice. I cannot make any promises but we can definitely have this reviewed for you.

Reply #2 (partial)
Good news, I was able to get this card approved for a one-time replacement for you. The replacement card will carry a 30-day warranty from the time that you receive it

EVGA is awesome :) That's how you keep customers.

Well, I went ahead and gave it a shot without expecting much.

Reply #1

Reply #2 (partial)

EVGA is awesome :) That's how you keep customers.

Good news, glad it worked out for you.
I had a feeling evga would do something.
Please post here what you got for a return. I,m interested to see what they sent you.

Well, while I agree this is a good move on their part to generate good will, I have to say that the policy in general is idiotic and not customer friendly. If the card has a lifetime warranty, who cares when I bought it and if I registered it. It should be covered forever. Second, even more, if I can prove when I bought it with the receipt, registering it within 30 days should be irrelevant. Refusing to honor the warranty because of that is stupid in my opinion.

Well, while I agree this is a good move on their part to generate good will, I have to say that the policy in general is idiotic and not customer friendly. If the card has a lifetime warranty, who cares when I bought it and if I registered it. It should be covered forever. Second, even more, if I can prove when I bought it with the receipt, registering it within 30 days should be irrelevant. Refusing to honor the warranty because of that is stupid in my opinion.

They are offering lifetime warranty but if you don't register people will just buy cards in the secondary market and EVGA will be putting on themselves the liability of single card they have sold.

They are offering lifetime warranty but if you don't register people will just buy cards in the secondary market and EVGA will be putting on themselves the liability of single card they have sold.

Requiring the original invoice limits that liability.

I am surprised. I'm glad you aren't being screwed over by EVGA. Reaching EVGA via email is a pain in the ass, with slow or sometimes nonexistant responses. Posting on their forums for advice gets you almost nowhere as well. You'd think after you send in 2 defective cards and 1 that is physically damaged you would get off your ass and help a customer who obviously wants to buy your damn product. At this point I'll just have to give EVGA the finger and return the damn thing.

This is why I buy nothing but EVGA. Peace of mind is worth my $

Who cares if you have to register it within 30 days, just get off your damn lazy ass, register on there, download their little program to upload it, upload and get your warranty. It took all of 5 minutes.

I am surprised. I'm glad you aren't being screwed over by EVGA. Reaching EVGA via email is a pain in the ass, with slow or sometimes nonexistant responses. Posting on their forums for advice gets you almost nowhere as well. You'd think after you send in 2 defective cards and 1 that is physically damaged you would get off your ass and help a customer who obviously wants to buy your damn product. At this point I'll just have to give EVGA the finger and return the damn thing.

The guy actually replied to me within 10 minutes of sending my first email. The entire thing was resolved in less than 1 hour,
including uploading my invoice and the "review" of my case. Was pretty shocked at how fast they replied and resolved it, it was also a Saturday night.

Good news, glad it worked out for you.
I had a feeling evga would do something.
Please post here what you got for a return. I,m interested to see what they sent you.

Sure, I'll try to remember since it might be 2 or 3 weeks due to holidays.

I agree that the policy is kind of pointless, since you have to upload your invoice regardless, but it's not really unreasonable. it takes 5 minutes to register, and they put giant stickers all over the box telling you to register.

Last edited:
I have had a split decision on this very thing with EVGA. Used to run 8800GT's in SLI, and eventually, but at different times, they both borked. The first time I called and talked to a rep, he helped get my receipt uploaded and got my card fixed. The next time (~6 months later, different card) I went the online route and was denied, called to talk about it and they would not budge. Ended up doing the Heatgun trick and it worked for quite a while after.

Moral of the story is, if you buy EVGA, register that puppy day one!

What do they do for people with no internet?

I doubt people without access to the Internet will be buying video cards in the first place. If they have a PC at all it will be from a big box store and manufactured by a major PC company.

I doubt people without access to the Internet will be buying video cards in the first place. If they have a PC at all it will be from a big box store and manufactured by a major PC company.

I seriously doubt that people with computers wouldn't have internet in some fashion or another.

What do they do for people with no internet?

Phone and Fax.:D

or phone and copy and USPS First Class Mail.

Gee..........:eek::eek:

I have to agree, when you buy a product, it should be warrantied for however long on day one; no registration, no nothing.

ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI all operate on this principle, just to name a few.

All you need is a receipt if you have a problem. Those above companies however only have 3 year warranties.

They will fight it all the way to the point of consumer mediation getting involved, my friend never filled out his warranty, but got it honoured when he went to consumer mediation, took a couple of months though.

I sent in a 7800GT and motherboard that crashed out last month in my parents rig. Did have the Newegg invoice and had no troubles getting the RMA approved. Never registered, just registered them to start the RMA process.

You have to Love EVGA, Although lately i haven't been buying their products because they don't really sell many enticing non-reference designs. I am very happy with my MSI Twin Frozr 580's but would have liked to have EVGA's warranty.

A year or two ago i RMA'd two cards.
8800GTX / Received a GTX260
7900GT / Received a 9800GT.

They always seem to give you a nice upgrade.

I would definitely be happy with the 560 over the 9800GX2, Much better temps / Power and better performance. Also now your friend can SLI if that's an options and get a massive boost :)

A company should stand behind its product whether or not the customer jumps through hoops.

A company should stand behind its product whether or not the customer jumps through hoops.

Glad it worked out so well with the OP!:D

ENTITLEMENT! Seriously though I've bought 3 eVGA 480s and 3 580s , I seriously don't see what the issue is with registering, in case case since the puppies cost $500 each it was the first thing I did when I got them.

The only video cards that I have had fail me have all come from EVGA, they do take care of there customers though and other vendors could certainly use to learn from them.

They've replaced it with this card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130661

Is that a decent upgrade? This is the card being replaced
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130338

The one I picked for the comparison isn't the superclocked one, but here: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=560&card2=657

It shows the new card is a good upgrade (look at the FLOPS). Not to mention you upgraded to the newer shaders and DirectX versions.

So yes, that's a good upgrade.

Who cares if you have to register it within 30 days, just get off your damn lazy ass, register on there, download their little program to upload it, upload and get your warranty. It took all of 5 minutes.

There policy is pretty cut and dry. It is still astonishing about the people who fail to register and throw fits when they are denied. EVGA has been a great company to me and that is why they've earned my business. Don't register in 30 days, you get a 1 year warranty. Don't like it? Find a new company... like PNY or Sparkle... lol

They will fight it all the way to the point of consumer mediation getting involved, my friend never filled out his warranty, but got it honoured when he went to consumer mediation, took a couple of months though.

And the real issue is they think it's okay to do this, when it's not. Didn't file within 30 days? Suck up the loss and stop trying to make someone else pay for your mistake. (Note: I'm not attacking you, simply just talking out loud to those that would do this)

Worth a stab and a long phone convo. If it starts to go bad, hang up and call again!

If you keep your receipt and the receipt has your name on it with your credit card info then the life time warranty should be upheld, regardless of time frame and registration.

No name on the receipt? I could understand the 1 year.

You get a one year warranty with EVGA if you do nothing (as is not registering it)

This is no longer the casee for everything. Taken from HERE:

All -KR products purchased ON or AFTER January 1st, 2011 include a 3 year limited warranty from the date of purchase. Registration is recommended. Optional Extended Warranty and Step-Up™ eligibility are offered for purchase upon product registration of a -KR part number within 30 days of the purchase date.

This includes the following suffixes: -K1, -K2, -KB, -KR

Products purchased ON or AFTER November 1, 2006 MUST be registered within 30 days of the ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE to receive EVGA's Free Extended Warranty. All products not registered within 30 days will ONLY receive a 1 year limited warranty. Refer to the following suffix guide to identify the length of your warranty:

Limited Lifetime: -A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX
Limited 5 Year: -GR
Limited 3 Year: -K1, -K2, -KB, -KR (Before 1/1/11)
Limited 2 Year: -LA, -LE, -LR, -LX, -T1, -T2, -TR, -TX
Limited 1 Year: -B1, -BR, -BX, -DR
Limited 90 Day: -RX (Recertified parts)

Back