New Report Says People Don't Trust Online Information

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new study claims that many people don't trust online information...if you can believe that.

A new study says many Americans still don't find the content they see online as totally reliable. A report this week from the University of Southern California's Center for the Digital Future says 15 percent of Internet users find little credibility in online content, even though three-quarters of users find the Web an important source of information.

I don't believe anything you post either, snowcat.

This was something I had to deal with when I went to High School. When the internet was fresh and young, teachers believed that information from the net was inaccurate, or totally incorrect. That was fixed thanks to Wikipedia, which gives the source to most information on their site.

Nowadays it's more about learning about something that's regarded as a fact, that conflicts with something you already knew and thought to be true. For most people, it's easier to just disregard what you read online then to try and accept it.

Also.....

See something on TV
You:- Seems legit!

Heard something from word of mouth
You:- Seems legit!

Internet
You:- What's this, I don't even?

I don't even believe what I believe much less what others believe.

I don't even believe what I believe much less what others believe.

Did you just...inceptionize me? :O

Just for clarification, is this saying people believe 15% of what they read on the internet, or 15% of people do not believe what they read on the internet?

Either way, a healthy dose of skepticism rarely hurt anyone.

If 15% find the information on the internet unreliable, then conversely could one assume that the same study found that 85% of Americans DO find internet information reliable? Why is that not the headline?

Lies, damn lies, then STATISTICS!

I'm a Psychohistorian. I know statistics before they happen.

I'm a Psychohistorian. I know statistics before they happen.

Technically you would "predict" statistics before they happened, you wouldn't "know" them. Remember in the foundation series, the psychohistorians got a few things wrong...which had to be "fixed".

Technically you would "predict" statistics before they happened, you wouldn't "know" them. Remember in the foundation series, the psychohistorians got a few things wrong...which had to be "fixed".

Not so much they got things wrong as the Mule screwed things up. I'm re-reading them again for the 100th time. I love me some Asimov.

GOOD! That's a healthy attitude! Figure things out for yourself through research!

Now if only people would apply the same level of skepticism to television and print media, we'd be halfway to living in a sane world again!

GOOD! That's a healthy attitude! Figure things out for yourself through research!

Now if only people would apply the same level of skepticism to television and print media, we'd be halfway to living in a sane world again!

Nice try, but your lies won't get to me...

Back