LAN Party Optimized House

HardOCP News

[H] News
Having a LAN party at your house can sometimes be a pain in the butt...well, unless you are this guy! What a brilliant set-up. Damn, I thought the house I bought was cool because it was already hard wired for a home network. Thanks to Edward C. for the link!

I've seen some houses which have really been decked out to cater to the monthly LAN party, but this easily takes the cake. Despite the pop-corn machines, fold-out computer benches, built-in switches and decor I've seen at other LAN party houses, this guy has gone all-out. As someone who really still digs LAN parties and socially gaming with friends, I applaud this guy for his efforts.

Maybe some day I can do a copycat job. :D

I think it's funny that all that money is spent on that sweet setup and then they have a 30$ 10 year old Ikea Coffee table.

That's pretty awesome. I hope he posts later on how he does the software, I'm pretty interested in that Copy-On-Write and Master feature he mentions.

That is really nice. I wonder if there is any function for the montitors in the upright (closed up) position. I would have a cool screensaver that flowed through to the monitors down the line.

I host LANs at my house... but not to that level damn!

My house is wired but that is about as deep as I will go.

I want the design of those built in computer cabinets, I would totally buy/build one of those.

I don't really get people bashing this guy because he "must be so rich" and "oh the 1%" crap (and I know that's not happening here at [H], I'm just making an observation). It's just your average software engineer, spending his hard-earned money on something he's passionate about. I say, good for him! It looks great and sounds like a lot of fun. We can all be jealous, sure, but in good form ;)

I don't really get people bashing this guy because he "must be so rich" and "oh the 1%" crap (and I know that's not happening here at [H], I'm just making an observation). It's just your average software engineer, spending his hard-earned money on something he's passionate about. I say, good for him! It looks great and sounds like a lot of fun. We can all be jealous, sure, but in good form ;)

Just you average kid with a 10K desk.

Nice!

I want to come over and game, haha.

I have my place setup for very small lans. Nothing major. Wireless router in the next room, 8 port switch in the living room, a pc and laptop than can play together and 2 xbox 360s that can lan. The odd time a friend or family member will bring over their 360 or laptop so we can get 3 players going. Even small scale lans are fun.

Hmmm. That's an interesting idea. We recently moved into a house with a big (now-)unfinished basement. I might have to alter our plans to fit one of these in down there...

That's pretty cool! Definitely going to be gathering ideas for building my house next year.

I am impressed, and game manufacters need to take notice of shit like this.

There ARE gamers who enjoy LAN's very much and they need to continue to honor the tradition of LAN gaming by keeping it included in upcoming releases instead of removing it.

Awesome idea and execution! ...except the 27 inch 1080p monitors of course, this guy obviously needs to get his display priorities straight.

I must admit I have had this idea for years, however not in this exact form (who here hasn´t?!). Must be a great feeling to throw a LAN like that.

except the 27 inch 1080p monitors of course, this guy obviously needs to get his display priorities straight.

To be fair, the cost of a higher res monitor, the cost of rigs that can drive those higher resolutions, and the energy bill associated with that is probably not negligible. Granted as a percentage of the whole operation, it's probably not much but that might be an additional $3-500 per rig

That is pretty damn cool. I've thought about something like this... cept it wasn't for a lan party, just for my multiple computers. Nice to see it realized, even if it's a different reason.

Awesome idea and execution! ...except the 27 inch 1080p monitors of course, this guy obviously needs to get his display priorities straight.
Yeah obviously what he needs for gaming are some expensive, high input lag, high response time IPS LCD monitors.

I've had some similar ideas, it's great to see even more executed. Looks fantastic. The net boot setup sounds great, though I don't think I'll ever have use for that (don't see myself supplying extra identical systems for friends).

wow.......now thats awesome! wish i had the space to do that (and $$$ haha). good job!

i'd love to do something like this, although maybe not in the main living area of the house. Still, very great looking and appears to be a big hit! i could only dream of having enough computer geek friends locally to even put on such an event.

Awesome set up. But im sure none of those guys have ever been laid.

Awesome set up. But im sure none of those guys have ever been laid.

Yep...I'm married with kids. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, I build things like new rooms. The only things I have to myself is my upstairs office, game room and media room, all else is owned by the kids lol

If they all boot off the same image then they all use the same serial keys for the games, no? Not sure how this would work if they all played the same game...

This isn't actually that expensive. If you're entertaining like this alot, the $12K isn't that much. It's easy to drop 5 times that amount on a kitchen remodel. And he expects it to last for several years before needing an upgrade. Other hobbies can be much more expensive. Plus he lives in a very expensive area, so this was probably only a few percent addition to the cost of the home.

If they all boot off the same image then they all use the same serial keys for the games, no? Not sure how this would work if they all played the same game...

They use their own Steam/battle.net/etc accounts. Probably a bandwidth hog, but otherwise a better solution.

This isn't actually that expensive. If you're entertaining like this alot, the $12K isn't that much. It's easy to drop 5 times that amount on a kitchen remodel. And he expects it to last for several years before needing an upgrade. Other hobbies can be much more expensive. Plus he lives in a very expensive area, so this was probably only a few percent addition to the cost of the home.

I've done a lot of disaster work, doing estimates on coastal regions and beach houses hit by hurricanes. Your $60K number for a kitchen remodel would be absolutely outrageous in those markets.

The average kitchen is 175-225sf. Even at $150/sf (which is crazy!) you're still barely halfway to $60K.

Back