Matrix-Style Instant Learning A Real Possibility

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm all for wanting to believe in stuff like this but I seriously doubt we are going to see "Matrix-style instant learning" any time soon.

Dubbed “Decoded Neurofeedback,” the computer-assisted learning hasn’t taught anyone kung fu (yet), but it has resulted in long-lasting improvement in tasks that rely on visual performance — such as playing a musical instrument or catching/hitting a ball.

Yeah, no you may not stick that thing in the back of my head, thank you.

If there are beta signups or human testing, I'm up for it! :D

I would love to learn a couple new languages (or a dozen) this way. I already know French and Japanese, but would like to learn German, Spanish and Chinese.

I'm normally not a conspiracy nut, but I can see religious and government organization use this to brainwash the mass.

I wonder if this will some day replace schools. Kindergarten to 12th grade in 13 years? Forget it! Just stare at this visual neurofeedback and then go in the other room to fetch your diploma.

We should teach the next generation that putting effort into learning is a waste of time.

I'm normally not a conspiracy nut, but I can see religious and government organization use this to brainwash the mass.

I wonder if this will some day replace schools. Kindergarten to 12th grade in 13 years? Forget it! Just stare at this visual neurofeedback and then go in the other room to fetch your diploma.

I think something like 90% of the world is religious I don't think religion needs this their current methods are working just fine. Governments on the other hand could benefit making solders.

I think this would have repercussions in problems solving skills because your ability to learn my be affected by having knowledge implanted into your brain, but considering the topic its pointless to speculate.

It would be funny if they did have a "Kung Fu" download. All these people thinking their bada$$es only to discover how painful it is when they do a high kick or split with an untrained body. There would be a mass migration to the emergency rooms as they groin pull massacre happens.

It would be funny if they did have a "Kung Fu" download. All these people thinking their bada$$es only to discover how painful it is when they do a high kick or split with an untrained body. There would be a mass migration to the emergency rooms as they groin pull massacre happens.

Let it happen.

It's thinning of the herd. Survival of the fittest.

Why? Because there can only be the One.

(Yes, lame. Lol. :D)

while everyone does that, i'll learn medical practices and work in a hospital. -WIN-

Finally, now I can burn all those radio-friendly Nickelback songs into my head and play them forever!

...but seriously, does it work in reverse?

Someone needs to work on their movie references.

This premise is referred to in a movie.

Its called inception.

Meh. I prefer Total Recall.

Who doesn't like naked mutant babes with 3 boobs?

Totally. I watched that when I was 8 and it was a complete trip re-watched it as an adult and its a completely different movie that I remembered.

Well I got to update my resume it seems I'll be obsolete... perhaps I can be a tech who gets paid to insert the plug into ones head.

Makes me wonder though, those who "don't get it" gets something force fed into their brains will they still not get it? will they all of a sudden understand it? will they have a seizure and their eyes pop out? Knowing isn't understanding. I mean hell I can watch those baking shows all day long and it looks easy as shit to do, I know I have to do this... I just fucking can't do that.

Repercussion of misuse is horrendous but the idea that you can learn anything is pretty cool.

Maybe I can finally learn programming, and such.

We should teach the next generation that putting effort into learning is a waste of time.

Education for the sake of education is a waste of time. Why not teach people only what they need to know for their career? Oh yea college's are very profitable.

Education for the sake of education is a waste of time. Why not teach people only what they need to know for their career? Oh yea college's are very profitable.

I weep for humanity. Obviously the only knowledge worth having is that which someone will pay you for. :rolleyes:

Just so I'm sure you understand, "Can haz ur stuff?"

Career knowledge and lifeskills aren't the same thing. Also, if not exposed to math, science, language etc, how does one pick a career path? Everyone would be a astronaut, fireman, or princess if they followed what they wanted to be when growing up.

Big difference between general education (grade school) and specialized education (college). You need to know that 4 quarters will make a dollar, but you probably don't need to know that the one-year (historical or trailing) Earnings Per Share growth rate is calculated as the percentage change in earnings per share.

The most important thing that can be gained from college is correct and effective methods of learning advanced topics.

If you didn't get that from college you failed regardless of your GPA.

Right. Weep on then. The rest of the world living in reality has bills to pay. It takes money to live, sorry to burst your bubble on that one. Although looking at the all of people gettin dey free shit each month from the government you are not alone.

I am sure some hippy ultra liberal professor drilled that nonsense in your head.

Right. Weep on then. The rest of the world living in reality has bills to pay. It takes money to live, sorry to burst your bubble on that one. Although looking at the all of people gettin dey free shit each month from the government you are not alone.

I am sure some hippy ultra liberal professor drilled that nonsense in your head.

The troll is strong in this one. Tell me, what happens when the one and only job you've ever trained for disappears overnight because it's been outsourced, automated, made redundant? You go back to school to train for another single job, right? If you like reacting to the world rather than influencing it, be happy.

I'd like to think my broader education will help prevent my grandchildren from being cogs in the mega-corp world we've been moving towards. It might even help those folks who think life doesn't start til after 5 pm. or, after you've retired.

As if the masses aren't currently being politically brainwashed by 24hr news organizations?

And as for Religious brainwashing, they pretty much have that down already. Most of the world is indoctrinated into a religion that they never change off of from birth. In the US that happens to be one of the various sects of Christianity. I just love it when the christian children reach that certain age where their parents have tell them with a straight face that Santa and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy (who are all pagan icons, btw) are all bullshit but that God guy, yeah he's totally real! How can you not smell what you're shoveling in that moment?

That is the problem with to many people today, they think they are special and will influence the world. For a few that may be true, ever fewer who can do that and make money doing so.

I am a small business owner, and if my industry dried and died tomorrow I would learn something new to provide for myself and my family. I had to do this after the housing market tumbled into the gutter.

Not trolling, I have better things to do. Just the way I see it.

That is the problem with to many people today, they think they are special and will influence the world. For a few that may be true, ever fewer who can do that and make money doing so.

I am a small business owner, and if my industry dried and died tomorrow I would learn something new to provide for myself and my family. I had to do this after the housing market tumbled into the gutter.

Knowing more stuff is better than knowing less stuff.

One thing is certain, those who never try to influence the world, never will. Being pro education for education's sake doesn't mean I'm against making a buck. I just see a broader education as giving you more options. However, I agree that the current economic and business outlook would favor a pragmatic approach.

As with everything in society, there are multiple forces driving and interacting with our current educational problems. Universities were NEVER meant as job training centers. That coupled with society's dogma, you HAVE to go to college to succeed, has exacerbated the employment problems.

I think a broad education is important as is feeding your family. Trade schools and tech schools are better values for our education dollars in terms of employment. The solution is not to make universities more like them but, less and, stop teaching our 'youts' that attending the university is the best/only way to get ahead.

Well I got to update my resume it seems I'll be obsolete... perhaps I can be a tech who gets paid to insert the plug into ones head.

Makes me wonder though, those who "don't get it" gets something force fed into their brains will they still not get it? will they all of a sudden understand it? will they have a seizure and their eyes pop out? Knowing isn't understanding. I mean hell I can watch those baking shows all day long and it looks easy as shit to do, I know I have to do this... I just fucking can't do that.
You thinking what I'm thinking? That this could end up being be an upgraded form of "book smart" for many?

I think there's also a downside of this. If learning is made so easy, then it's highly likely there will be no real/very few "specialized" fields, and most likely no one/very few will be worth more than minimum wage since fully trained workers will be a mere training session away. A dime a dozen so to speak.

You thinking what I'm thinking? That this could end up being be an upgraded form of "book smart" for many?

I think there's also a downside of this. If learning is made so easy, then it's highly likely there will be no real/very few "specialized" fields, and most likely no one/very few will be worth more than minimum wage since fully trained workers will be a mere training session away. A dime a dozen so to speak.

Every corporation's dream employee. Of course some education/training would be reserved for the ruling class. :(

Something like this is already necessary now, yet alone in the future.

Society is amassing more and more complex information as science and understanding progresses.

As it is, people are forced to become extremely specialized in what they wish to learn, and yet to obtain even partial mastery of that field can take a lifetime.

That means that for the first thirty years or so of someone's life, they are really a waste as they haven't achieved subject matter mastery.

Technology like this would advance science at an astronomical rate, as by age ten you could already have "downloaded" a master's degree equivalent of knowledge, and there is definite consensus that productivity is magnified by tremendous margins with higher education/knowledge.

Just because it's quicker doesn't mean the overall effort expended in a day would be reduced.

Do you make your own bread and compile your own operating systems? Wouldn't want you taking any shortcuts :D

Just because it's quicker doesn't mean the overall effort expended in a day would be reduced.

Do you make your own bread and compile your own operating systems? Wouldn't want you taking any shortcuts :D

Actually, I baked a loaf of Bread OS 2.0 today.

No, my statement wasn't meant to be taken as an absolute, though systems like this will be exploited by those trying to do the least amount of work possible.

Every corporation's dream employee. Of course some education/training would be reserved for the ruling class. :(
Thanks, you filled in the part that I'd forgotten to add. And scientific and other "creative" fields, where learning is an ongoing part of the job would never be fully programmable, just updatable.

A sad reality of this would be that it would add to the "entitlement" mentality of many today that everything should be made easy and just handed to them without any real effort on their part. Though once they'd gotten an educational upgrade, they should be mandated to put it to use.

Though on another note, an big upside would be that there wouldn't be thousands of people trained for hundreds of jobs like there are now now (such as English teachers for example). The field is flooded? Just rewrite your education to fit a field that needs people.

I could see this used as a way to rehabilitate criminals, but finding a way to keep them from rewriting it and upgrading their criminal skills would be a major hurdle, and as we know, if man makes it, man can break it.

Could this be used to program illegals to go home, or terrorists to play nice, bring about world peace? Yeah, I thought not. :(

A thought just dawned on me...Ghost in the Shell anyone? :eek:

Back