Which display should I get.

nicklemarr

Limp Gawd
First off let me say this, I just bought a UltraSharp U2711 a week ago for Christmas so I don't want to spend any more money really.

I want the cheapest 120Hz monitor I can get. I'm strictly getting it for 2D gaming. Won't be using 3D at all, and will only be gaming on it. It can not be more than 24".

New Samsung UN22D5003 for $180 shipped.
Refurbished Acer GD235HZ for 200 shipped.
Refurbished Dell/Alienware AW2310 for 240 shipped.

My natural instinct is to ignore the TV and the riced out Alienware. But Dell's panels are so nice, and the TV is the cheapest.

Anyoen have any experience with any other these or can recommend one not here?

Why not just use the U2711 for gaming? Am I missing something?

I do currently use it for gaming. I need a small monitor to put on a spare VESA mount to quickly get video from the multitude of computers laying around here. I just so happen to want a small 120Hz monitor. I wanted to emphasis gaming in my first post so people would tell me to use my U2711 to game. =/

Well.... I used a AW2310 before and the viewing angles we really bad. Other than that the monitor was fine if you were sitting in the sweet spot. Then again I find most TN panels inferior but since you want 120Hz you don't have much choice.

Unless you need a height-adjustable stand get the Acer. Both the Acer and Alienware use the same panel from what I know.

Unless there's been some development I'm unaware of, 120hz tvs don't take in 120hz outputs. They are strictly 120hz because of internal processing.

EDIT: And by "outputs" I obviously mean inputs.

If I were in your position, between those options, I'd buy the Acer without looking back. If I want something to look pretty, I have the U27. If I'm looking to keep games smooth, the Acer will do that for me.

Unless there's been some development I'm unaware of, 120hz tvs don't take in 120hz inputs.

That, of course, would be ideal. But the best I can do right now is frame doubling (I'd rather have frame interpolation).

If I were in your position, between those options, I'd buy the Acer without looking back. If I want something to look pretty, I have the U27. If I'm looking to keep games smooth, the Acer will do that for me.

But is the text/haloing issue enough to steer me to the Dell?

So there's no clearcut choice here?

I would go with the alienware out of your 3 picks, but for 50$ more you could get a new planar sa2311w which is the best matte 120hz display (read the 3D vision blog review), or the glossy asus vg236h which has the most consistent (accurate) colors according to multiple reviews.

Example of the Acer's Issues
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3688/acergd245hqoverdrive1.jpg

3D Vision Blog's Article

It has 18ms of input lag (similar to the Dell), so it fails to deliver a super smooth 120hz gaming experience.

Just be warned that you probably will not want to game on the Dell since it will feel laggy (input lag) and look very grainy (LGs aggressive anti-glare coating) once you game on a 120hz display.

Last edited:
Back