SOPA Congressional Staffers Get New Jobs in Entertainment

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s reassuring to know things in Washington never change and it’s business as usual up on the Hill. Two of the senior aides who helped craft the SOPA legislation have now switched jobs to the private sector with the same companies that will profit from the passage of the legislation. Well, it can’t be called double-dipping I suppose, more like pre-dipping. Gotta love politics. :D Thanks to TheWeazmeister for the linkage.

The former aides will face one-year lobbying bans, which means they cannot lobby the respective committees where they previously worked.

This sort of thing hardly even bears comment any more, business as usual indeed.

kleptocracy

The level of corruption in our government is so disgusting it's unbelievable; and yet some "patriotic" ass hole will almost certainly wander in here and tell us all that if we don't like it we can always move to China as if somehow the fact that some other government is more corrupt than our makes all of our corruption OK.

It is very important to comment on these sorts of things, keep it in the public's eye

The level of corruption in our government is so disgusting it's unbelievable; and yet some "patriotic" ass hole will almost certainly wander in here and tell us all that if we don't like it we can always move to China as if somehow the fact that some other government is more corrupt than our makes all of our corruption OK.

This

The level of corruption in our government is so disgusting it's unbelievable; and yet some "patriotic" ass hole will almost certainly wander in here and tell us all that if we don't like it we can always move to China as if somehow the fact that some other government is less corrupt than our makes all of our corruption OK.

FTFY

Pretty much every goverment on the plant is just as corrupt as all the others, some just like pretend they aren't and are the "good guys"...which is probably more worrying... :p

I really wish we could get some very harsh anti corruption legislation through. I'd love to see these fuckers rot in jail for 30 years.

I really wish we could get some very harsh anti corruption legislation through. I'd love to see these fuckers rot in jail for 30 years.

Just one tiny problem: the people who were given the power to pass legislation are the most corrupt.

Just one tiny problem: the people who were given the power to pass legislation are the most corrupt.

You're asking the criminals to indict themselves and pass laws curbing their corruption?

Al Capone is even rolling over in his grave at the level of fraud and corruption these days. He's got a hardon just wishing he was capable of it on this level. He got caught, they never will. Rats don't smell other rats, they just share the cheese with them.

You're asking the criminals to indict themselves and pass laws curbing their corruption?

Al Capone is even rolling over in his grave at the level of fraud and corruption these days. He's got a hardon just wishing he was capable of it on this level. He got caught, they never will. Rats don't smell other rats, they just share the cheese with them.
I've been saying this for years, well at least forty,if you don't like the political system then run for office and make changes, well the Mafia have in droves, and succeeded, now what?.

They are following in the tainted footsteps of the corrupt Senator Chris Dodd who is now the chairman, CEO, and Fuhrer of the MPAA.

I'm a little depressed we (general public) aren't a little more pissed about this. Douche-baggery actions like those in the article is worrying itself; but many of us being unsurprised, apathetic, and unmotivated for change almost seems more worrysome to me. My hope is leaving me :(

I'm a little depressed we (general public) aren't a little more pissed about this. Douche-baggery actions like those in the article is worrying itself; but many of us being unsurprised, apathetic, and unmotivated for change almost seems more worrysome to me. My hope is leaving me :(

When the people making the laws and controlling the country are corrupt there is little to do. Our anger won't change anything and we're unsurprised because it happens often enough that it isn't remotely shocking to anyone anymore. Corruption is part of human nature. We're swayed by things and ignore any morals we may have when those things are offered.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."

Tacitus of Rome, 117 AD.

This guy knew the score nearly 2,000 friggin' years ago.

Some politicians, they embody the famous Lord Acton quote, "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely." They might start out wide-eyed and idealistic like Jimmy Stewart's character in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," but as soon as they taste the power, they can't stop. It's like giving a carnivore his first taste of raw meat.

Other politicians, they embody the not-as-famous, but just as true David Brin quote, "Power attracts the corruptible." All they dream about is lording it over others; whether that happens via a mechanism like religion, government, or other is unimportant to them.

Unsurprising and disheartening, yes but really is anyone surprised by this? If you are have you been living in the same country as the rest of us and watching the same kind of political shenanigans happen for almost as long as politicians and special interests have been around?

It's politics, they just get a slap on the hand, and get grounded for a year...kind of like the Juvenile law system, except they get paid by the nation to be total cocks.

Back