Skyrim Beats MW3 As Most Played Game of 2011

HardOCP News

[H] News
I posted on this earlier today in our gaming round-up but I wanted to give you guys the opportunity to comment on Skyrim being the most played game of 2011. I haven't been able to even touch my copy yet, it's the kind of game that once you start playing it, you can't put it down. Our GPU guys have spent a good deal of time with the game though (here, here, here and here). ;)

The average gamer played Skyrim for 23 hours in its first week on store shelves and averaged three hours of playtime per sitting, making it the most-played game this year, according to data complied by gaming network Raptr. The game was also the most-played role-playing game this year, beating out Dragon Age 2 with six times more playtime.

How is this a surprise? Even console players didn't really like MW3.

I think that's a pretty positive sign for gaming, right there, despite the blockbuster sales of MW3.

I think that's a pretty positive sign for gaming, right there, despite the blockbuster sales of MW3.

If people could return the game, the sales(if you subtract returns from sales) would probably be less than half of what they are.

according to data complied by gaming network Raptr
Raptr only runs on PC so these numbers are only based on the PC versions of Skyrim and MW3. MW3 I do not think did well on PC because we are sick of the shovelware. Skyrim on the other hand most likely sold tons better on PC.

No I'm not a MW3 fanboy... its just that I can not see this being a true representation of which game was played more.

Either way, it proves that rehashed games are here to stay and developers don't have to come up with anything new except tweaking a few things from title to title.

See you in 2080 with Call of Duty: Revamped, Future Warfare 28 and The Elder of Eldest Scrolls: Bland Combat Fantasy Edition.

Raptr only runs on PC so these numbers are only based on the PC versions of Skyrim and MW3. MW3 I do not think did well on PC because we are sick of the shovelware. Skyrim on the other hand most likely sold tons better on PC.

No I'm not a MW3 fanboy... its just that I can not see this being a true representation of which game was played more.

The article states that this measurement was from Xbox360, PS3 and PC, so I'm not sure where they got the #s from.

you're probably right... still a pretty awesome accomplishment for Bethesda. Although, it's not like anyone should be too surprised. TES has an extremely large and loyal fanbase

When I got my copy of Skyrim @ midnight, I couldn't believe how many people showed up for the release. There were literally around 200 people waiting in line... crazy

Huzzah!
for no guns Viking Fallout3 :D (wish there was a little more choice in the dialog tree though)

i dont doubt the 3 hour sitting time, either. I purposely wont put it in if I only have 45m to an hour to play. I cant stop playing...it like only 1 more thing to do, over and over again.

I haven't had a lot of time to devote to Skyrim, but I have already managed to rake in 31 hours somehow.

I bought MW3, but then notice I already had a copy of it, just named differently (MW2).

I heard skyrim has a tendency to crap out once you start to log more and more hours, something about a savegame bug. Was interested in it, but tons of online reviews were complaining about that. Can't imagine how pissed I'd be if I got 50 hours in only to end up having to stop because the game became unplayable.

I've been a TES fanboy since I've played Morrowind. The transition from console-corridor games to open-PC games was euphoria. So this isn't a surprise. Not sure about the consoles but my console friends weren't too excited about MW3.

I find it really hard to believe that there has been more playtime into Skyrim in the last couple weeks than there has been playtime into WoW in all of 2011.

Raptr's finding were based on the total amount of playtime the network's 10 million users engaged in the first week a game was available; total playtime over its first month of availability; and the average play session during a game's first 30 days on store shelves.

Okay, so it's just a very misleading title. They are not rating the most played game of 2011, they are rating the most hours played on average in the week following launch, which is an almost totally meaningless statistic. These guys should branch out into politics, they'd be a natural fit.

Fuck I have almost 80 hours in. Compare this to BF3, which I also bought at launch, which I have about 7 hours...

It's really addicting.

I bought MW3, but then notice I already had a copy of it, just named differently (MW2).

They need to start naming the COD games like the sports games. Just call it what it is... COD 2011 just like Madden 2012.

Is the leveling system retarded like Oblivion? Do you have to gimp yourself to become a strong player?

Skyrim is one of the first games in a while I am interested in. But I'm not paying $60. Hoping for a holiday sale of some kind.

Hoping for a holiday sale of some kind.

Probably not this holiday however, it is the hot game right now. What have happened to the game sales this holiday? Steam hat their Autumn sale and EA had BF3, Batman AC and NFS The Run on half price on Cyber Monday but that's all I've seen.

The article states that this measurement was from Xbox360, PS3 and PC, so I'm not sure where they got the #s from.

Yeah, but one generally only opens a raptr account when one loads a PC game with the raptr software on it... so it'll definitely be skewed towards PC gamers. People that just game on PS3's and Xbox360's will be mostly unreported by Raptr.

But still, even *if* it's mostly skewed towards PC's it's still impressive because the most hardcore of hardcore MW3 or BF3 players will be PC gamers.

wrong.. Raptr tracks data from PS3 and Xbox360.

Probably not this holiday however, it is the hot game right now. What have happened to the game sales this holiday? Steam hat their Autumn sale and EA had BF3, Batman AC and NFS The Run on half price on Cyber Monday but that's all I've seen.

Steam's holiday sale is after Christmas.

Thats when it has been for the past 3 years, so I am assuming the trend will continue.

Ok, unless I'm senile and that is a distinct possibility Steam has had pre-Christmas sales in the past. And It's just not Steam, I also use Direct2Drive, Impulse and Origin and they all have sucked sales wise thus far this year.

Uh oh this news means that all the rebelz out there are gonna start hating Skyrim now and swear that they've hated TES since Morrowind.

Yeah, but once you learn the "bucket trick" the game is over with

This is the first game in a very long time that has compelled me not to cheat or exploit and play it properly. I know the command cheats and abused them like crazy in oblivion but skyrim has been so enjoyable I don't have any need to ruin it with stuff like this. My hat off to the devolpers for an amazing game and experiance on the pc (excluding the bad menus on my eyefinity rig, thank god for widescreengaming lol)

I think this is a pretty remarkable accomplishment, considering Skyrim is SP therefore 90% more pirate desirable.

You mean a real game that does not suck like suck of duty the first person shooter for console noobs that don't know better is on the top?

Shocking.

Back