Newegg.com Deals 12/7

Newegg Webmaster

Official Newegg Deals Maker

COMPUTER HARDWARE DEALS

AMD Phenom II X4 830 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX830WFK4DGM - OEM
$89.99 - $10.00 promo code "HARDOCP12X7A" = $79.99 with free shipping
Promo Expires on 12/13/11

Kingston HyperX T1 Black Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3T1BK3/12GX
$74.99 - $8.00 promo code "HARDOCP12X7B" = $66.99 with free Egg Saver shipping

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit
$149.99 - $25.00IR - $20.00 promo code "HARDOCP12X7C" = $104.99 with free Egg Saver shipping

Galaxy 56NPH6HS4IXX GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$229.99 - $10.00IR - $30.00 promo code "HARDOCP12X7D" - $20.00MIR = $169.99 with $7.56 shipping

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$249.99 - $15.00 promo code "HARDOCP12X7E" - $20.00MIR = $214.99 with free shipping

:eek: Prices subject to change without notice.

Should I just get this 64G M4 as a boot drive or should I get a 120G one?

i'm able to fit win 7 ultimate x64 + essential apps (i.e. browser, messengers, etc) on my 40gb (37.2gb formatted) mushkin ssd as a boot drive with 3-4gb to spare. (y)

I'm not sure why you'd need a 120gb one for a boot drive. If you plan to install a few games etc then 120g wouldn't be a bad idea.

I have a 160gb intel gen2 and love it - the extra capacity is worth it if you are a gamer and want to installed more than 1-2 games.

Yeah, I was planning on a few games+music software on it. But oh well, $20 off is kind of a nice deal here. Combined with google offer code = $65. I'm going with this :D

If I cant install my OS and all apps on my SSD boot drive then I don't want it. Data storage on a HDD is fine, but I want all apps and games to load fast, not just Windows.

If I cant install my OS and all apps on my SSD boot drive then I don't want it. Data storage on a HDD is fine, but I want all apps and games to load fast, not just Windows.

The vast majority of your games won't benefit from a ssd. On top of your os and most used apps running quicker you don't have to worry about you os hitting the HDD while your games are which can help more than you would expect.

For non-gamers, 40 GB and 64 GB are fine for those purposes. It comes down to what "apps" means. I can fit Office and Adobe CS5 on a 40 GB with hibernation removed, which is enough for a majority of computer users.

For gamers like us, however, you're looking at 128 GB to 256 GB depending upon your installed-game preferences.

For non-gamers, 40 GB and 64 GB are fine for those purposes. It comes down to what "apps" means. I can fit Office and Adobe CS5 on a 40 GB with hibernation removed, which is enough for a majority of computer users.

For gamers like us, however, you're looking at 128 GB to 256 GB depending upon your installed-game preferences.

What games do you run that need to be on a ssd? Wow, Oblivion, FO3, and a select handful of others are the only ones that I've noticed that really benefit.

What games do you run that need to be on a ssd? Wow, Oblivion, FO3, and a select handful of others are the only ones that I've noticed that really benefit.

There are 2 primary benefits to having a game on an SSD:

1. Speed-up of initial launch of application
2. Speed-up of level-loading/textures

And one secondary benefit to having all games on an SSD:

3. Might not need to run an HDD, eliminating a source of noise and heat (think SFF or WAF)

Certain games, as you pointed out, leverage #2 more than others. As to whether #1 is sufficient to justify purchasing enough SSD space to put games on there, that is a question of user preference.

There are 2 primary benefits to having a game on an SSD:

1. Speed-up of initial launch of application
2. Speed-up of level-loading/textures

And one secondary benefit to having all games on an SSD:

3. Might not need to run an HDD, eliminating a source of noise and heat (think SFF or WAF)

Certain games, as you pointed out, leverage #2 more than others. As to whether #1 is sufficient to justify purchasing enough SSD space to put games on there, that is a question of user preference.

:rolleyes:

Can I use the promo code for the GTX560 with two separate orders? It apparently doesn't stack if I order two cards.

Dont forget larger SSDs are faster, and the more full it is after ~50%, the more its performance degrades. Id want no less the 20GB free on a 64GB drive.
Also, if you dont need the transfer cable, you can get the lone drive cheaper.

Dont forget larger SSDs are faster, and the more full it is after ~50%, the more its performance degrades. Id want no less the 20GB free on a 64GB drive.
Also, if you dont need the transfer cable, you can get the lone drive cheaper.

Thats another good point actually.

If not, you can always make another account with another email.

Thats what I may do if it comes down to it.

I can't fit enough stuff on my 80GB I'm constantly uninstalling apps, I'd go for a larger drive. Oh yea and I like my games on SSD as well, Games like BF3 use 20GB alone though. My windows 7 install was almost 40GB itself...

Yeah. Ive never understood those who go for SSD's below 120GB. The problem is, with windows install and apps, it uses a good 30% or more of that. The whole point of an SSD is for low loading and access times which greatly benefit games, apps, etc. You need enough space to be able to install all that. 120GB barely cuts it imo. Anything lower than 120 is kind of a wasted SSD.

Last edited:
Yeah. Ive never understood those who go for SSD's below 120GB. The problem is, with windows install and apps, it uses a good 30% or more of that. The whole point of an SSD is for low loading and access times which greatly benefit games, apps, etc. You need enough space to be able to install all that. 120GB barely cuts it imo. Anything lower than 120 is kind of a wasted SSD.

Personally, after much research I bought the Samsung 830 64GB. It arrives tomorrow.

Reliability and performance are about the same as the Crucial M4. Comes with Norton Ghost and Batman: AC. Comes with the bracket adapter.

I figure that in 6 -12 months, I'll be able to get a higher capacity SSD at much lower cost with better performance anyway. 64GB is fine if you just install Windows and a few apps like firefox (and even a game or two). Just don't fill it up and enjoy the faster system startup, shutdown, and response time. Keep your Steam games on a separate HDD. Most games don't benefit much anyway.

Here's a guide that I found to optimize Windows 7 installation on an SSD:
W7 SSD Guide

It just makes more sense to save the cash and get something larger/better next year when prices tumble.

P.S. Newegg has the OCZ Octane 128GB in stock if anyone has been waiting for that. I'd wait for the reviews for the 128GB model, though.

Last edited:
$104.99 was the regular newegg price I paid for 2 crucial 64GB M4's about 4 months ago. It's not a bad price but it's by no means a "deal".

I'd wait on the 128gig Octane drives until OCZ has proved they can work with the now in-house Indilinx controllers and offer reliability. So I wouldn't consider those drives for a year until they're sure any potential problems have been ironed out.

The Arkham City code for the samsung 830 drives only applies to models larger than 64gigs, so you gotta go 128GB+ for the code.

If you're going SSD and want to avoid RMA hell just stick to plextor, crucial, samsung and Intel.

Now to choose between that crucial or a samsung 830...

The Arkham City code for the samsung 830 drives only applies to models larger than 64gigs, so you gotta go 128GB+ for the code.

Maybe on Newegg; I received a download code with my 64GB 830 SSD purchase from Amazon. It's about $103 with shipping included. Great deal IMHO.

First company to put on a smokin' deal for a OCZ Vertex 3 Series – MAX IOPS Edition VTX3MI-25SAT3-120G, on top of the $30.00 rebate during the next week, gets my business.

Back