Chinese Courts Reject Apple Lawsuit Over iPad Name

HardOCP News

[H] News
It is hard to protect the iPad trademark in China...especially considering the fact a Chinese company trademarked the iPad name 11 years ago. It seems the courts over there tend to side with the company that actually trademarked the name first. Now there's a concept. ;)

In the lawsuit over the use of the iPad name, the Intermediate People's Court in the southern boomtown of Shenzhen rejected Apple's complaint against Proview Technology (Shenzhen). Proview, it said, lawfully registered the iPad trademark as long ago as 2000 for products in a number of countries including China, the Southern Metropolis Daily newspaper reported, citing court documents.

It is hard to protect the iPad trademark in China...especially considering the fact a Chinese company trademarked the iPad name 11 years ago. It seems the courts over there tend to side with the company that actually trademarked the name first. Now there's a concept. ;)

No shizzle, novel concept indeed. Obviously Apple not liking that.

I wouldn't be so fast as to give them a credit for having common sense. It's well known China will side with China in any trade dispute. They're the pirate and trademark/copyright infringement capital of the world and they side with infringers as well as non-infringer. Because of that, this is basically non-news.

Aaaaahahahahahahahahaha

I dunno what else to say, really. Apple trying to solve problems by lawsuit again, even when they know they're in the wrong. Fail.

And now the company that originally trademarked the "iPad" name in China is suing Apple for infringement! For $1.5 billion! :p Those who live by the lawsuit...

As much as irony about China, it does have upside of not putting up with legal BS.

Apple vs communist dictators. Man, which do you root for in that fight?

I wouldn't be so fast as to give them a credit for having common sense. It's well known China will side with China in any trade dispute. They're the pirate and trademark/copyright infringement capital of the world and they side with infringers as well as non-infringer. Because of that, this is basically non-news.

This is probably true...but it still feels good to see Apple getting trolled. :D

Who's to say they didn't forge the patent documentation either.

Since our patent office has let Apple (among others) patent the most ridiculous objects and shapes, i don't see how the US is any different.

One of the huge difficulties of doing business in China is that their legal system does not utilize precedent - each judge can come to an entirely different ruling on the same set of circumstances, even if the past 20 rulings have been one way.

"Proview was also taking legal action, seeking 10 billion yuan ($1.5 billion) in compensation from Apple for copyright infringement, Caixin Online reported in October."

:eek:

"Proview was also taking legal action, seeking 10 billion yuan ($1.5 billion) in compensation from Apple for copyright infringement, Caixin Online reported in October."

:eek:

Probably one of those companies that just blindly registered patents for i-anything once the iPod came out. They likely never had any intention of actually releasing a product, but knew they could cash in on the name eventually :rolleyes:

Your unhappy because Apple got Bitched Slapped by China.:D

Back