Opera 11.60 is Out

HardOCP News

[H] News
For all you alternative browser users out there, Opera 11.60 is now out. Grab it if you want it, try it if you haven't.

Just in time for the holiday season, Opera Software is proud to release Opera 11.60, the newest version of Opera’s desktop browser. Almost 50% of the world’s population has never tried a new browser — people in your own town, maybe even someone you know. Why not help them discover something better this year? A new browser is a gift that keeps giving all year round.

I've been an advent user of Opera before, not sure I'll use it now since I got IE9.

Opera and Chrome are my usual browsers of choice but recent rendering problems (gpu rendering etc) have chased me away from Opera.

I am curious about what websites you guys visit to actually notice differences in browsers?:confused: I am I really just an old curmudgeonly Web 1.0 user?

The only reason I prefer chrome is because I like UI and how my lazy ass can search in the address bar.

There are very few differences between all of the top browsers. I couldnt care less which browser loads my page .05 seconds faster. With the kind of computing power we have now days everything loads fast. I like opera because it has the best looking skins of all the browsers and lots of customization options. There was an issue at a little while back with amazon.com not completing my order in opera, but worked just fine in firefox. That has been fixed. And there was also an issue with 11.51 release and transparent skins. That has also been fixed. I mainly use opera and there are very few pages that are not compatible. About the only time I run into an incompatibility issue is when im looking for the most recent drivers from a manufacturers website and I try to use one of those "scan my hardware" programs to detect which drivers I have that are current or need updating. I guess it really just comes down to personal preference.

I'm still an avid Opera user and have been since version 6.
There have been a couple of substandard releases with a few glitches but overall it's still the one I go back too. It's very customizable if you want, the panel bar is great, Opera Unite sandboxed file sharing is handy, mouse gestures mean I can surf without clicking buttons or touching the keyboard and if you have a spare old slow computer its much snappier than Firefox which feels very sluggish in comparison.

I use Opera Mobile on my Droid Thunderbolt and love it. I've tried the Opera desktop browser before and it's got a lot of promise and has a lot to like but had enough "wrinkles" that made me prefer Chrome or IE9. Ill give this a try though and see how it runs.

I am curious about what websites you guys visit to actually notice differences in browsers?:confused: I am I really just an old curmudgeonly Web 1.0 user?

The only reason I prefer chrome is because I like UI and how my lazy ass can search in the address bar.

Try CNET.com and scroll.. you'll see.

Regardless, I'm still sticking with Opera though.

Try CNET.com and scroll.. you'll see.

Regardless, I'm still sticking with Opera though.

Man, you werent kidding. Choppy as hell.

Seems to be a little faster than before though. Ill give it a few days and see how it runs.

@ech3lon9

very bad example for an test

i use opera as my main browser (think i must have 70-80 tabs open only 1gb ish ram used) its important to make sure load plugin on demand is ticked or it uses 2x that ram amount due to Flash be it content or ads (if an site like youtube you want to always allow you can right click on the page edit site pref and untick the load plugins on demand so it play with out you having to click on it first)

cnet.com is the Only site (and why would you be using that site any way) that i have Ever seen opera do that before in using opera for 7-8 years (bad site coding as it was not like that about an month or 2 ago) the only other thing that has slowed opera down is that Stupid UK O2 mobile Flash ad (it affects all browsers thought) and you need to be in the UK to get the ad as well

the Worst i have seen opera do to an page is its not rendered correctly or slow but thats norm flash (or any site that uses lame http://www.lithium.com/ forum code spell checker cant work in HTML mode as it does on the fly text to HTML in on the host pc)

i have reported that the site is going slow (press Help report an site problem, they norm update the Broken site fix file that's norm downloaded weekly)

only thing i recommend with opera is if you are going to be keeping tabs open Save them from time to time (File > Sessions > Save This Session) as it only takes one new opera window to open to lose them all

i use Chrome as my default system browser so sites that i open from msn skype and so on, open on chrome as i norm do not want them for to long or if the site really does not work correctly in opera i use chrome

i use IE9 when all els fails (that mite happen on some special Microsoft sites)

Mail client is boss now!

Also all the problems with loading sites are gone.

Nearly ditched Opera, glad i didn't.

Back