RIM's Indonesia CEO Faces Jail Time Over Stampede

HardOCP News

[H] News
Could you imagine if we held every CEO in the U.S. accountable for stuff like this? They'd have to open new wings at the federal prisons just for CEOs. :D

Blackberry manufacturer Research In Motion's Indonesia CEO will be charged with negligence after a sale last month of its smart phones turned into a stampede, police said on Monday. The maximum penalty for negligence is nine months in jail.

That guy mind controlled the slobbering masses. Maybe he has Psionic powers? Mandatory castration.

How is this his fault in any way? It's not his fault people act like animals.

I would solidly expect RIM to tell them to all go fuck themselves and pull that CEO out of the country through whatever means it takes before he's incarcerated for a mob of douchebags doing what a mob of douchebags do.

I'm all for stricter punishments for CEOs (defrauding your company, its employees and the stockholders millions upon millions of dollars should get you more than a couple years in a White-collar Minimum security prison) but there is no fucking way you can pin the blame of the stupid customers who decided to act like a bunch of assholes on the CEO.

... but there is no fucking way you can pin the blame of the stupid customers who decided to act like a bunch of assholes on the CEO.

If you could, Jobs would have been dead years ago.

It does comfort me to know there are stupid people (Indonesia police) all over the world.

Shoudn't it be the police chief's fault for not having enough officers to stop it?:rolleyes:

If, say, Black & Decker were to lower the prices of their irons on Black Friday just because they wanted to see people crushing each other to get one, I'd understand.

Otherwise, this is ridiculous

I'm not a fan of RIM, but to put their Indonesian guy in jail for the stampede is ridiculous!

Indonesia just seems a bit...crazy.

Citibank debt collectors in Indonesia murder a debtor

http://boingboing.net/2011/04/01/indonesian-paper-rep.html
He reportedly complained to the Citibank representatives about his credit card bill, which showed a higher balance than he expected (from about $7,825 to $11,500). By various reports, he came to negotiate the debt and was taken to a private room where he was questioned by the three suspects, then beaten to death.

And I thought a negative hit on your credit report was bad! :eek:

I like it! De facto nullification of corporate protections. Maybe we should support it to drive business back to the U.S. Or, maybe we should emulate it to keep more corporations from screwing us in pursuit of higher profits.

Back