my new build is squealing! how to find out which part?

js09

Limp Gawd
just got this up and running a few days ago. I love it EXCEPT there is a squeal coming from inside. it's high pitched and is already annoying me. any advice to identify which part?

I'm thinking it's the GPU but i can't tell.

Intel Core i5-2500K
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III SSD
MSI Radeon HD 6790 1GB
LIAN LI Silver Aluminum PC-V353A

well i would suggest unplugging your case fans to start with. if that does it plug in one at a time to find the offending one. if it is not a case fan, try a different video card if you have one. does your mobo have a fan on it if so check it as well. you did not specify what your psu is but do u have enough juice to the vid card?

If you have a MoBo that supports fan monitoring/control, set all your fans to off, and see if the squeal goes away. If so, it's a case fan, and ramp them each up individually until you find the offending fan/the rpm threshold. Some cheaper fans are known to be fairly loud at high rpm.

If it's not a case fan problem, do the same for your GPU, most high end GPUs allow you to control fan speeds.

The last source I can think of is your PSU. Is the squeal extremely high pitched, on the edge of hearing? If so, that can very well be coil whine from your PSU. What PSU do you use? It might be under too much load.

I've done a few minor tests, and still think it's the GPU. here's why.

1. I have no case fans
2. The PSU (OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W) was in my previous system for a few days and no noise was noticed.
3. The high pitched noise changes tune slightly when I alt+tab to different programs, or even i go between tabs in FF... which would lead me to believe it's the GPU?? (change of information on the screen).

I've got a new GPU on the way since this one isn't really what I wanted in the first place (too big/power hungry) so we'll see if that fixes the problem. I really hope so.

It's called coil whine, it's not a failure or problem, it's a property you wont change. It can come from either Graphics card or motherboard.

I know about coil whine or capacitor squealing, it can be fixed with replacement parts. there is no reason to put up with it when it causes a distraction.

remove your graphics card(you could boot up with intergrated graphics in your CPU) and check if it happens either

blah, not the video card. I confirmed this. I'm stumped.. any suggestions? I feel like it's gotten worse over the weekend.

Use a very sensitive microphone with a viewable output meter, move it around your case, see where the noise is coming from? Or use a stethoscope or sth?

there's a guy here that often recommends rolling up a peace of paper or using a cardboard tube and putting it to your ear and trying to isolate the source by moving it around your pc. Give it a try.

I've also heard people have gotten rid of coil whine with certain glues and epoxies.

thanks fellas. I'll try harder and isolating the noise. if it's something I can't easily fix I'll go the glue/epoxy route

I've also heard people have gotten rid of coil whine with certain glues and epoxies.

If you can identify the actual coil, it is pretty easy to just put a blob of glue on it to stop the vibration and eliminate the noise - the trick is finding the coil, especially if it is inside the PSU. On the plus side, it'll sometimes go away by itself if you give it a week or so.

Is it all the time, or just sometimes? Normally coil whine is more intermittent.

Back