Red Cross Wants To Outlaw War Crimes In Video Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dear Red Cross, we love you guys and all the things you do, but you need to stick to what you do best and stay the hell off my video games.

The International Committee of the Red Cross is mandated under the Geneva Conventions to protect the victims of international and internal armed conflicts. That includes war wounded, prisoners, refugees, civilians, and other non-combatants. The question they debated this week is whether their mandate should be extended to the virtual victims of video game wars.

lol..whut?

Fictional characters got rights?

Time for Charlie Brown to sue the pants off Lucy ! :p

Doesn't the image of 'TERRIBLE OVERLY DRAMATIC BAD GUY' being associated with person who commits 'GENEVA TREATY's WAR CRIMES', in a way, positively promote the Geneva convention? We have it to stop people like DUNN DUNN DUNNNN Dimitri ...whoever naskoff.

If they take legal action, I'm never giving them another dime if this is what it would be funding.

I want to outlaw the Red Cross for being a very ineffective and wasteful charity organization with so many rumors of corruption and embezzlement.

Most video games that depict war crimes are at the very least showing people the tragedy, safely behind their computer screen. A lot of the war games I've played does show you famous phrases from people like Winston Churchill and other war veterans. By no means are video games promoting violence, hate, or war.

I think the world is getting to the point where we like to blur the truth to the point where we don't even see it anymore. There used to be a fine line between truth and false, and now it's literally mixed together and anyone can make their own shit up, cause nobody can tell what's real or not anymore.

That's right kids, video games are teaching you to be a warmonger. Even though technically speaking going to war has "0" to do with anyone but politicians. The drug war in Mexico, WHICH IS A REAL WAR BTW, is caused because the Mexicans played too many Call of Duties. There are real war happening all over the world, constantly but not due to anyone playing video games.

Who buys these games BTW? People who live in first world countries, like USA, Europe, Australia, and etc. Africa always has civil wars and conflicts, yet I guarantee you that nobody there played Xbox 360 video games.

Absolutely not, I don't want video games to head down the propaganda tool path more than they already have. The last thing I want is for the complexity of the situations portrayed in this medium to be reduced even more so to a matter of "Us vs them", surely one of the great things wrong with the world today.

I can see where they are coming from...

Kid plays game win which war crimes are committed -> gets numb to it -> joins army -> commits similar crimes himself when deployed, due to being numb to it.

It's a stretch, but there are always a tiny minority of kids that react differently to these things than normal, healthy human beings do.

That being said, banning the depiction of war crimes all together would be a terrible idea. What should we do, ban Schindler's List too?

I might support something in which war crimes are universally depicted as bad and evil though, in order to drive home a point to impressionable kids.

Zarathustra[H];1038096163 said:

Kid plays game win which war crimes are committed -> gets numb to it -> joins army -> commits similar crimes himself when deployed, due to being numb to it.

It's a stretch, but there are always a tiny minority of kids that react differently to these things than normal, healthy human beings do.

That being said, banning the depiction of war crimes all together would be a terrible idea. What should we do, ban Schindler's List too?

I might support something in which war crimes are universally depicted as bad and evil though, in order to drive home a point to impressionable kids.

Curb it at the source then -- start spaying and neutering humans at birth.

And this is how you know the Red Cross has outlived its usefullness, and should re-focus on its core mission, which is to actually help actual persons and not play politics and wander into idiocy like this.

It's a stretch, but...
No, its not a "stretch", it is absolutely ridiculous insanity.

AND the Red Cross certainly couldn't do this on their own, so guess how they would have to do it... have the gov't regulate free speech. It would be more productive to take their money and light it on fire. At least then it might help keep a cold person warm in the winter.

Abject stupidity at work.

>People giving Red Cross money even before this publicity stunt

Have fun throwing away your money, Red Cross is primarily a business, not a charity.

If you want to make a difference in the world, donate money to Salvation army, only non-profit and non-scamming charity in the world. Unicef even has an agenda for the last 10-20 years that's been around spreading religious doctrine rather then helping people, they waste money on things like bibles when they should be spending it on food and education.

If you don't believe me, look up Red Cross's various fiasco's over the years, less then 30% of what you donate ends up helping the people, the rest of it goes into paying the CEO's of Red Cross half a million dollars a year -AND UP-, some get paid several million dollars a year.

Don't give to Red Cross, again, its a giant scam, they sell things, they don't give things away. During 9/11 when the world trade center's fell, salvation army was handing out blankets, food, water, medical aid, red cross was -LITERALLY- across the street SELLING it to people.

During WW1-WW2, people would donate things like food and blankets to troops, Red Cross would take these donations and SELL them to troops

Ugh, sorry, mere mention of Red Cross fills me with anger, how they are allowed to stay in business shocks me every single day.

Kids shouldn't be playing those types of games in the first place, that's up to the parents. The same can be said for movies, another medium that seemingly gets a pass for doing all the same things that games do.

Isn't one of the biggest killers speeding or traffic accidents? So speeding is about 12040430x more likely to kill someone than a war crime. Why aren't there more calls to limit games to 70mph? :p

Plus breathalize anyone playing a driving game. The haul their ass to jail! :D

Kids shouldn't be playing those types of games in the first place, that's up to the parents. The same can be said for movies, another medium that seemingly gets a pass for doing all the same things that games do.

I couldn't agree more.

That being said, the Call of Duty series (not saying these depict war crimes, never played them, just using as an example) are all rated M for mature, which means they carry a 17+ age recommendation.

What percentage of people playing this game would you say are 17 or above? :p

Sure, individual parents can take it upon themselves to ban young kids from playing the game in their house, but what about when they are at their friends house? And when a game becomes so popular, what parent would want to socially ostracize their 13 year old and make them the only kid they know who can't hang out with their friends in CoD?

IMHO, for that argument to work, we need widespread federal regulation that criminalizes providing underage kids with games and movies rated for older people, sort of how we handle cigarettes and alcohol.

Kids will still find a way to get at it, but it will be a lot less prevalent, and a lot easier to control.

Industry self regulatory efforts like the ESRB NEVER work. The incentive for the industry is to make money, and if they prevent underage kids from buying restricted titles, they make less money...

The question they debated this week is whether their mandate should be extended to the virtual victims of video game wars.

should we also extend medicaid coverage to Farmville residents? how about protecting corperations from government regulation? they are people too after all :rolleyes:

come on red cross, you were one of the few organizations that i thought was above this kind of nonsense. why would you take money away from helping real people who actually exist, in order to "help" fictional, non-real, completely made up video game characters?

i will also never donate to any organization with such rediculous intentions.

So put in some virtual Red Cross volunteers then.

The Red Cross can fund their placement in the game, further gaining another source of revenue for game developers.:eek:

The Red Cross has one of the highest administrative cost of any organization that relies on contributions, they need to get their house in order first.
If it wasn't for the blood products they handle, they would not be relevant.

So put in some virtual Red Cross volunteers then.

The Red Cross can fund their placement in the game, further gaining another source of revenue for game developers.:eek:

The Red Cross has one of the highest administrative cost of any organization that relies on contributions, they need to get their house in order first.
If it wasn't for the blood products they handle, they would not be relevant.

I know, it kills me cause Red Cross's president says that "I need to be paid this because a person of my skill is hard to come by" and gets paid millions a year, meanwhile Salvation Army the president does exactly the same thing, except he has a SECOND job to actually pay the bills, what he does for the Salvation Army is completely selfless, the only thing he accepts is money to pay for travel costs which adds up to around $13,000 a year

Again, if you give money to The Red Cross, you are a fool

Here's the thing IT'S A F*#^ING GAME!!!

I'd be genuinely concerned if our military was basing it's decisions on "well they did it in Black Ops, so I guess we should be ok doing that as well", what next GITMO used water boarding because they saw it in a game, Osama got the idea of suicide plane attacks from IL-Sturmovik, the Japanese in WWII got the idea of cutting POWS in two with Katana's, from Mortal Kombat, the Germans got the idea of mustard gas in WWI from Soldier of Fortune, pretty sure Hiroshima was based on something they saw in CoD4?.

The human race does some insane s*!t for the excuse of killing people, banning entertainment won't change that.

Just like every other "Big" thing in life... the bigger they are the more corrupt they get. US Government I'm looking at you mostly.

Back on topic -- war is the result of one of two things: 1) Money/Power or 2) Religion. That's IT

It's sad to see so many people think that things that do not even exist have "rights", what's next we can no longer write about what actually happened in the past? The whole "out of sight out of mind" thinking is so flawed.

Few realize that if we don't remember the past, remember what happened, see the things that happen in this world, we are doomed to repeat them over and over again.

Instead of trying to hide violence, sex, and ideas from people put them out there and use them as a tool to teach people what the world is really like and maybe in a generation or two we wouldn't have so many problems as we do now.

The concept that video games cause violence is so bunk -- the problems we have TODAY are the result of piss poor parenting and the inability of parents to punish and teach their children in a way that makes things stick. The crap they've been teaching for 20 years of "everyone is good, everyone loves you, and everyone is special" does not work.

Only when people are taught the that world is a shitty place, and full of crap will people maybe try to change things.

Start with Blizzard. They are soley responsible for the mass murder of millions of defenseless frogloks everyday all over Azeroth.

Oh Mah Gawd, deem pixel refugeeez arrr bein war criminaled. Sum1 halp! We must pr0tect them frum gamers suspensions of disboleaf!1!1!11

There goes Bejeweled, all those conflict diamonds. And Angry Birds encourages genocide against pigs. Fuck!

Well oh my fucking god, I just got done playing Sins of a Solar Empire.

Probably someone watch to much of Reboot. Please everybody, think of the poor binomes!

The term "virtual victim" is dishonest and mis-leading. Did PETA infect Red Cross?

LOL! Wow, I guess there really are no "good" video games. I wonder what horrendous crime Pong actually portrays.

how can you be so ignorant as to not realize the horrible torment that ball has to go thru... game after game, its beat back and forth with paddles many times it size... only to be reset to the center after it sees a glimpse of sweet freedom past the edge of the screen.

oh the humanity!

Back