Apple Took 3+ Years to Fix FinFisher Trojan Hole

HardOCP News

[H] News
What? Three years isn't fast enough for you? Whatever...you're all just a bunch of PC elitist snobs. :D

But the WSJ series and other media coverage of the story have overlooked one small but crucial detail: A prominent security researcher warned Apple about this dangerous vulnerability in mid-2008, yet the company waited more than 1,200 days to fix the flaw.

from article said:
FinFisher, a remote spying Trojan that was marketed to the governments of Egypt, Germany and other nations to permit surreptitious PC and mobile phone surveillance by law enforcement officials.

Might be why!

I'm curious, the article contradicts itself on if this exploit ever actually was used in the wild.

There are plenty of exploits (for all OSes/applications) out there that aren't actively being used, and only get patched once something actually uses it.

Now, if it's true that it was being used by certain governments to spy on their citizens, THAT is a problem.

Damn. So in the comments section, ''Pat'' is one helluva Apple zealot. Seriously.

Kinda reminds me of this:
cad-20100611-aa6fb.jpg

There currently are no viruses in the wild for OS X. But it's hard to logically conclude that this is due to Apple's security engineering and practices.

In other news...

U.S. judge rejects Apple bid to halt Galaxy sales
(Reuters) - Apple failed to convince a U.S. judge to block Samsung Electronics from selling Galaxy smartphones and tablets in the U.S. market, depriving the iPhone and iPad maker of crucial leverage in a global patent battle between the two companies.

In a ruling released late on Friday, U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, California denied Apple's request for a preliminary injunction against Samsung.

The two companies are engaged in a bruising legal battle that includes more than 20 cases in 10 countries as the they jostle for the top spot in the smartphone and tablet markets.

Earlier on Friday, an Australian court extended a halt on sales of Samsung's latest Galaxy tablet in the country by at least a week, as Apple appeals a ruling that had ended the ban.

Apple sued Samsung in the United States in April, saying the South Korean company's Galaxy line of mobile phones and tablets "slavishly" copies the iPhone and iPad.

But on Friday Koh rejected Apple's bid to ban sales of three smartphone models, as well as the Samsung Tab 10.1.

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-rejects-apple-bid-halt-galaxy-sales-042536392.html

*yawn*, call me when mac users actually get the digital Armageddon that's headed their way. I will be at the genius bar lmao

Back