Wi-Fi Near Groin Can Decrease Male Fertility

HardOCP News

[H] News
Do you own a laptop with a wireless internet connection? Are you still childless? It might be your WiFi dongle (not your dongle) that is at fault. Thanks to TheWeazmeister for the link.

Authors of a new scientific study speculated that "a laptop connected wirelessly to the Internet on the lap near the testes may result in decreased male fertility." The study appeared in the September issue of the medical journal Fertility and Sterility.

I've known about this for a while now. I always rest my laptop on the desk, folding table or bed.
The heat generated by the laptop is the main cause.

Sounds more like a feature than an issue, to me. Think I'll sit that bad boy on my lap all day!

I call BS on this. Grew up with a laptop on my lap not to mention my cell on my belt with WiFi enabled all the time.

Lets just say we didnt try very long, thank God. Some of my friends are going on 6 months+ and its killing them. Then you get the question "how long did you guys try for?" and then we have to lie. Im going to hell.

meh. in vitro doesn't always correspond to in vivo. Also, " 'And for those laptop worries, he [Robert Oates] mused, "I don't know how many people use laptops on their laps anyway.' "

I've known about this for a while now. I always rest my laptop on the desk, folding table or bed.
The heat generated by the laptop is the main cause.

The article actually specifies that this is non-thermal related damage. They think its from the radiation. Water is really good at blocking radiation. People are made out of water. I'm not really that worried.

Water is really good at blocking radiation. People are made out of water. I'm not really that worried.

I wondered why my doctor just threw a glass of water at me before taking an xray instead of putting a lead vest on me.

If I remember correctly (it's been a long time) the tenth thickness of water is 24". "Tenth thickness" is a measure of how thick the material must be to reduce the radiation passing through it by a factor of ten.

Water: 24"
Steel: 4"
Lead: 2"

The article actually specifies that this is non-thermal related damage. They think its from the radiation. Water is really good at blocking radiation. People are made out of water. I'm not really that worried.

I quoted a guy who calls himself wizdum lol.

We choose you to clean up fukushima.

Well in the case of Wifi, non ionizing radiation I believe wizdum is right. Water is a pretty strong absorber of the wavelengths that tradition WiFi uses.

yeah and most of that water is under your skin and in your body. my nuts are not 20 pounds of water either or 24".

the radiation from wireless all over the house is probably not the best for us either, or the radiation from the glass/plastic side cases.

we are screwed.

Well in the case of Wifi, non ionizing radiation I believe wizdum is right. Water is a pretty strong absorber of the wavelengths that tradition WiFi uses.

Bingo. I hate the scare stories on non-ionizing radiation. As much as I would like people to ditch their damn phones...

Now, a worthwhile study would be heating caused by non-ionizing radiation.
Back when I was young..er.. and dumb..er.. ran a magnetron outside of it's casing and hid behind some crap composite body SUV... pretty dangerous and reckless thing to do.

I quoted a guy who calls himself wizdum lol.

We choose you to clean up fukushima.

Wrong kind of radiation, way lower power levels, and spending 1 hour at the worst part of Fukushima plant still only gives you the equivalent of 3 hours in a plane.

If this were a problem, WISP techs would never be able to have children, since the high power directional antennas they use operate at power levels way higher than what you see in a laptop.

don't worry baby, we don't need a condom, I've been playing WOW on my laptop all day ;)

Exavior: "don't worry baby you wont get laid you been playing wow all day" i think thats what you meant.

The smartest people tend to be the ones who reproduce the least.

Evolution is ensuring survival of the dumbest.

Meh pretty much everything causes a decrease in male fertility now, I guess the Futuristic Amazon Society will happen faster than many people predict.

If you have a computer in your lap, it might be because you're a girl. That would explain low sperm counts.

Real Men use desktops! (Is that too nerdy?)

If this is the same article I saw on \. yesterday then this is a crock. If you read the actual article and look at the citations -- the actual name of the scientific paper this is based on literally says there is no evidence to support that wifi has any effect on your sperm. Not to mention that the testing was done with zero barrier between the wifi and the test subjects which will only live so long in the wild anyway.

So yeah....iphone in my pocket.

But Cell; Phones have no effect at all ofcourse.... Right....? Right....?

You can get sterilized but nothing else is being affected in your body right....?

Right.

The resonant frequency of water is 2.4GHz. That's why it is an unlicensed frequency. So, yes, your body is a good conductor of WiFi. That's not a good thing.

I call BS on this. Grew up with a laptop on my lap not to mention my cell on my belt with WiFi enabled all the time.

Lets just say we didnt try very long, thank God. Some of my friends are going on 6 months+ and its killing them. Then you get the question "how long did you guys try for?" and then we have to lie. Im going to hell.

Hurrah!
Conclusively disproven by a survey sample of 1 with no documentable pre or post results.

I personally was in the 6 months crowd and underwent a inguinal varicocelectomy to lower the temp of the 'boys'.

The resonant frequency of water is 2.4GHz. That's why it is an unlicensed frequency. So, yes, your body is a good conductor of WiFi. That's not a good thing.

Nothing you just said makes any sense, but i'm going to reply to it anyway.

The resonant frequency of water would only matter if you shoved the wifi antenna up your ass. Energy does not like to transition between materials with different densities, this is a fact. In order for your body to "conduct wifi" you would have to be in physical contact with the antenna.

2.4ghz is used because it is low enough to still be able to go through some materials, yet doesn't require the large antennas you see on the 900mhz devices. You also see a lot of 5ghz devices now.

Hurrah!
Conclusively disproven by a survey sample of 1 with no documentable pre or post results.

I personally was in the 6 months crowd and underwent a inguinal varicocelectomy to lower the temp of the 'boys'.

Dude, you water-cooled your balls?!?! That's fucking [H] right there, baby! :cool:

add me to the list of unaffected by this.... i've grown up around wireless and cell phones and i've got a 2.5 year old and one on the way and both times we got pregnant on the first try.....

Damn, just had a vasectomy for the SECOND time. First time didn't work so they really went in and took out alot of Vas this time to ensure. Recovery the second time was much longer, I couldn't play hockey for several weeks. First time, I was back in the ice in a few days.

Guess I should have tried this first.

And I am going to keep these things close to my balls since I never want to have a fucking kid I have to buy crap for and this lowers the chance of that happening.

Now I can spend the money on important crap like arcade machines since I have better odds of not having an annoying kid around and I have more room space.

and i wont have to pay abortion bills.

Thanks wifi and condoms the only that works better than you is gay sex.

Lets just say we didnt try very long, thank God. Some of my friends are going on 6 months+ and its killing them.

Yeah. Six months of sex sounds awful.

I'm long past the stage in my life where sex is the be all and end all of the male psyche - but I still don't see the issue with that. Two or three YEARS, perhaps, but six months? :confused:

Back