What Your E-Mail Addy Says About Your Credit Score

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this report, people that use Yahoo, Hotmail and AOL have bad credit scores.

We found another intriguing credit score correlation, email address domains. Based on a sample of 20,000 credit scores, our data shows that there is a difference of average scores based on what email service users prefer. Interestingly, Gmail and Comcast users came out the top with a higher average, while AOL and Yahoo users had the lowest average credit scores.

I have both a Comcast and a Yahoo account. Oh, I'm so confused now!

GREAT! Another F'n way for them to raise your rates just because they can which has nothing to do with your ability to repay.

Health Ins. will do a "study" on this too soon. All people with AOL accounts has a higher chance of dieing and are old.

I guess next the insurance companies will find Hotmail users reckless, and tack on a surcharge.

Thus the phrase , " Son I done want you hanging around those Yahoos down the street"

I still have a Yahoo account and had a near 800 score by 21. lol

What I find interested is that (supposedly), states considered liberal/democrat have higher scores.

...but, I can say from working in finance for a few years, it's near impossible to tell someone's score until you run their credit.

I was in that club until Obama took over

Yea, I too bought a bunch of guns, ammo, and canned food on credit then defaulted because I knew the manchurian usurper in chief and his gestapo would come to take my wife and daughter.

Ooops.

Haha, revolving credit is a scam. I recently applied for store credit at Guitar Center. HSBC was offering a 15 month 0% promotion and I wanted to take advantage of it to buy a Gibson Les Paul as a gift. Of course, I would have paid off the balance after the holiday season. Anyways, they ran my report at the store and automatically denied me. Why? because I already had a small HSBC account with them from another store (that was 8+ years old). Despite having a ~790 FICO rating and never having a late payment with them or anyone, they wouldn't lend me a single penny because I already had an account with them. Oh well, it's Guitar Center's loss, not mine. I bought a slightly better model online for $250.00 less than they were asking for the one in-store...

potentially stupid question.... how did they match up credit scores with email addresses?

For almost a year my brother-in-law was applying for jobs with his e-mail address:

[His Initials][email protected] (or whatever the berkeley e-mail domain is)

While studies like this are fun to ponder, there really is no correlation between credit score and email domain. The results here are pure coincidence. Anyone can get a yahoo email, and anyone can get a bellsouth email.

I have a score of 790, and i use hotmail and Gmail.

of course what the study likely does not reflect is, us users who had hotmail accounts since the beginning of time, when hotmail was the only major free-mail service people where willing to touch. I suspect hotmail users here fall into the category.

as for yahoo, i am unsure why anyone where would have ever used a yahoo email. but anyway

I can verify this study is 104% correct.

I had a bad credit score when I had a hotmail.

My credit score got way better after I got a gmail address.

But I did get married to a financially responsible woman about the same time I got my gmail address, so that might have factored in somewhat.

Yeah because the president directly correlates to your taking on too much debt / not repaying your debt in a timely fashion :rolleyes:

Maybe the crappy economic choices made by our president put that man out of a job? :confused:

This smacks of that fake "what browser you use/IQ" study from this past summer.

I use several email services including ones started in the 1990s from places like Juno and NetZero. Not sure any of this gives one ioda of information to anyone about my credit score.

Judging by the type of 'news' Yahoo runs on its home page, I wouldn't be surprised if another study found that those same people buy supermarket tabloids, lottery tickets, cigarettes, and regularly visit psychics.

On a completely-unrelated note :D I use Comcast, Gmail, and keep all of my money under the mattress. All $40 of it.

I have a score of 790, and i use hotmail and Gmail.

of course what the study likely does not reflect is, us users who had hotmail accounts since the beginning of time, when hotmail was the only major free-mail service people where willing to touch. I suspect hotmail users here fall into the category.

as for yahoo, i am unsure why anyone where would have ever used a yahoo email. but anyway

This almost exactly what I would have written, but you saved me the time ;)

Gmail here and credit score? What credit score? Mines zero, but then I've never had a credit card and yep, No debt, Not since about 1996...

Maybe the crappy economic choices made by our president put that man out of a job? :confused:

Because our President has legislative powers and has some kind of magical dictatorial powers of our market economy?! :confused:

And I had a great credit score until the credit crunch...all the card companies axed my available credit down to what I already had on balance - so I went from 15% credit usage to 100%. Boom, overnight 100 point hit and I didn't change a damn thing about myself...I even make 2-3x as much as I did when they initially extended me the much larger lines. :mad:

Yeah, let's just forget that the implosion happened before our current POTUS took office...

Still using the hotmail address I made back in'98. It has the maturity of a high schooler (which I was at that time) but I just can't break myself from it. I haven't checked my credit score since buying my house so I know it's lower and it would depress me, but it should be in the low 700's assuming a 30-40pt hit after getting the loan on my reports.

Because our President has legislative powers and has some kind of magical dictatorial powers of our market economy?! :confused:

And I had a great credit score until the credit crunch...all the card companies axed my available credit down to what I already had on balance - so I went from 15% credit usage to 100%. Boom, overnight 100 point hit and I didn't change a damn thing about myself...I even make 2-3x as much as I did when they initially extended me the much larger lines. :mad:

You're really going to love them when after seeing you now as maxed out, they arbitrarily up the percentage rate. Wait for it.

Agreed, I have a "bad" credit score since I have a Yahoo! mail account.

I don't have a credit card either. LOL

And I'm not American anyway...

I think this makes some sense, just looking at the surface at least. They are saying that people who predominently use a free email service will have a lower credit score then those who use an email thats given as a result of using a paid service.

I think this sounds valid. Paying for internet for an extended period of time does show some responsibility. It means you stick with a financial obligation and that your housing situation is stable.

The oldest email account I have is from Juno, that ones over 10 years old and free. But for anything formal you can bet I use my work email or my ISP email since it has the more "prestigious" ending.

The gmail one will probably grow though as people use it for their Android phone. I only use it for my phone and youtube so that one is off the radar.

potentially stupid question.... how did they match up credit scores with email addresses?

Account usernames. Credit Karma is a completely free service that lets you pull your transunion credit score at any time. They gather stats about their users. I don't mind participating, it's good to keep an eye on without ever being asked for a credit card or anything else.

I used hotmail, and then recently made a live account. And my credit score is 748(Just started building credit 2 years ago). So I dunno.

Back